Summer office outfit ideas must meet the office dress-codes (typically at least short sleeves), but bridge the gap between AC cooled offices and the heat outside. Read to get inspired to dress your best comfortably and effortlessly chic.
- The Challenge of Summer Work Outfits over 40
- Change Your Outfit with Work Appropriate Timeless Accessories
- Brooches, Necklaces, Shoes
- Cover-Ups, Jewelry, and Shoes
- Add Sleeves with a Halftee
- What to Look for in Work-Appropriate Summer Dresses
- Summer Heat Outfit Inspirations
- Shirt Dress
- Empire-Waist Dress
- Fit-and-Flare Dresses
- Full-Skirt Dress
- What Dresses Are Best at the Office in Summer
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
The Challenge of Summer Work Outfits over 40
In summer, dressing for the office is challenging for every women when the dress-code asks for business casual style or even corporate style. A skirt suit or pantsuit in summer wool is just too warm in muggy weather, and even dry heat during the commute and lunch break. Linen or cotton suits are a wrinkle nightmare and hence not stylish. Dressing during the dog days is a hassle.Wrinkles are never in style. #agelessstyle #workoutfits Click To Tweet
Wearing your great summer dresses always the same way and/or getting into a style rut is not only boring for you, but it might also give a wrong impression at work. You want to come across as creative by wearing great summer outfit inspirations.
Change Your Outfit with Work Appropriate Timeless Accessories
A solution for the summer work dressing challenges are dresses. A dress plus bag and pumps are instant style.]
Get rid of the old-fashioned assumption that a dress can be worn only one way. Achieve different looks by using different accessories and shoes. A well edited collection of accessories like belts, scarves, necklaces, watches, shoes, etc. is a pre-requisite to vary the look of one dress in four different outfits or even more depending on the size of your collection.
This means accessories are your secret weapons!
Brooches, Necklaces, Shoes
Cover-Ups, Jewelry, and Shoes
Look beyond wearing a dress only as a dress. On rainy, cool summer days think about how to wear a dress as a skirt or wear a dress as shirt. See the examples with an eShakti floral print dress below.
Add Sleeves with a Halftee
Banana Republic abstract print fit-and-flare dress with and without sleeves.
What to Look for in Work-Appropriate Timeless Summer Dresses
The criteria of great office-appropriate dresses are that they
- Fit you typical work dress code, for instance, business casual when you are in engineering,
- Provide coverage at the typical problem zones of women in midlife like arms, love handles, wide hips, or sun damaged cleavage,
- Have an ageless style, but modern vibe/twist (you don’t want to look conservative and Old Lady),
- Are suitable for lunch with colleagues or clients outside,
- Feel comfortable in an air conditioned office,
- Are easy to style with other pieces to create several office outfits with the same dress (Tip: Sheath dresses permit multiple looks.),
- Feature neutral colors that work with your fashion colors of your accessories,
- Work in the winter to spring transition as well as the summer to fall transition with items from the cold season.
Don’t let the right outfit be a random thing. Wear the right look in every situation by looking up what to wear when in How to Dress for Success in Midlife. Buy my book now.
Summer Heat Work Outfit Inspirations
Empire waist green print dress two ways.
Paisley and polka dot prints are eternal classics. Go for an ageless fit-and-flare cut like in the summer work outfit ideas below.
If you have to wear pantyhose, try black for an unexpected variation. See eShakti dress outfit idea below.
What Dresses Are Best at the Office in Summer?
Set criteria when to splurge or bargain. Best summer work dresses meet the following criteria
- Wrinkle-resistant fabric
- Moisture-wicking fabric
- Loose, but fitted cut (to avoid sticking when you sweat)
- Breathable fabric
- Sun-protective if you have to spend a lot of time outside (see sun safe business casual outfits for female engineers)
- Meet the office dress code
Photos of me: G. Kramm
© 2013-2022 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved