Interested in summer-to-fall outfit ideas? Then continue reading. This post provides a list of easy-to follow stylist tricks how to transition summer pieces into fall in a stylish way.
- Why We Hang on to Our Summer Clothes
- List of Tips How to Transition Your Summer Pieces into Fall
- Try to Transition a Summer Look to Fall with a Motorcycle Jacket
- Summer Hoodie Shirt with Denim Jacket and Leather Joggers
- Wear a Jacket as a Top
- Change the Vibe of a Summer Outfit to Fall by Swapping the Shoes
- More Summer to Autumn Transition Outfit Ideas
- Summarizing How to Transition Summer Pieces into Fall
- Top of the World Style Linkup No. 321
Disclosure: This post has affiliate links.
Why We Hang on to Our Summer Clothes
It’s normal to be attached to your summer clothes. Since our childhood, we associate summer with leisure, pleasure, freedom and fun. Summers were the time of no duties, no homework, just living into the day. Since summer clothes ask for light fabric, they are much less expensive than winter clothes. Thus, shopping for summer clothes didn’t rib a big whole into our allowance. Having to buy a winter coat was the worst. It didn’t leave much wiggle room for the other Must-haves or any Lust items for the back-to-school shopping list.
And yes, the winter coat wasn’t the It of the season, but more a necessity. The statement coat was out of our budget to begin with! Not to mention an awesome coat wardrobe! Thus, our mother’s forbid us to wear our brand-new cold season clothes too early to not get into winter wardrobe boredom.
The ease of summer and summer clothes! No wonder that we want hold on to them as long as possible. When your transition season is as short as it is up here in the Interior of Alaska, you may even get away without any fall clothes at all.
List of Tips on How to Wear Your Summer Pieces in Fall
A list is easy to print out. Therefore, I compiled a list of the tricks shown in the wear-it-now vs. wear-it-later examples. This way, you can hang it into your closet for some cute fall outfit ideas right at your finger tips.
- Summer dress with a leather jacket, tights, tan or black wood sandals
- Wear a summer dress with cardigan. You can wrap the ends over each other or vary the look with a belt (wide belt for long torso, thin belt for short torso). More on best accessorizing with belts in this guide
- Try wearing a denim jacket, black tights, open toe booties or fall sandals with a floral summer dress
- Dark cardigan worn open over floral summer dress with matching tights, fall sandals
- Summer dress with denim shirt and blazer
- Wear a sweater over a summer dress, add a jacket and tights when it gets even cooler
- Wear a summer mini-dress as tunic with leggings and pumps. See this post for more dress-over-pants outfit ideas
- Knot a shirt over a summer dress for some extra insulation on the first cool days of fall
- Wear your summer dress with a faux fur vest or a long grandpa style cardigan, tights and fall sandals
- Transition the look by using a piece, shoes and accessories in fall colors
- Try adding leather items like a leather skirt, top, jacket or vest because they are associated with the cold season
- Add a plaid shirt
- Wear a floral summer top with a tweed skirt
- Go for a dark leather bag instead of a light or straw bag
- Wear a slip or underskirt, tights and halftee under a summer dress
- Use layering to create stylish looks and increase insulation
Try to Transition a Summer Look with Motorcycle Jacket
In September even in mid-latitudes, the mornings get already chilly. When the weather forecast calls for temperatures in the lower 60s (15oC) in the morning, but 70s in the afternoon, a summer work outfit is still a Do. Just add a leather motorcycle jacket for the commute. At lunch, leave it in the office. On your way home, wear it as a cape like in the look below.
Summer Hoodie Shirt with Denim Jacket and Leather Joggers
In midlatitudes, leather is a favorite to keep the wind off. Thus, on a windy day, leather joggers or pants paired with your favorite summer hoodie and a denim jacket make a great look. The denim jacket keeps off the chill.
Wear a Jacket as a Top
Change the Vibe of a Summer Outfit to Fall by Swapping the Shoes
Not only the colors of your clothes, but also the shoes are a great mean to style an item for different seasons. Sandals with chunky heels and/or wood soles work great as fall sandals. Open-toe booties in tan or black also can create a fall vibe when worn with tights. Dress shoes with chunky or sturdy heels also have a fall vibe. Dark pumps in black, brown, or burgundy add a fall vibe. Strappy sandals or slides with bare feet scream summer (and vacation).
More Summer to Autumn Transition Outfit Ideas
In the following some easy-to-recreate transitional outfit inspiration.
Always shop for clothes you can wear in more than one season when on a budget! #budgetfashionists #frugalshopper Click To Tweet
Don’t miss out on How to Dress for Success in Midlife. Buy the book now.
Look at your clothes and ask yourself how you can wear them in more than one season. #budgetfashion #agelessstyle Click To Tweet
Summarizing How to Transition Your Summer Pieces into Fall
This post featured ideas how to use pieces from summer to create outfits for the transitional season. Its easy-to-recreate examples can elongate the time during which you can wear inexpensive summer pieces. To create summer-to-fall transitional looks shop your closet for
- Maxi skirts (you can even wear cropped leggings underneath)
- 3/4 sleeve t-shirts or shirts
- Jackets that permit layering and cover you up in the cool morning and evening hours
- Closed sandals to keep your feet warm or wood sandals for insulation from the ground. Note that in early fall, the ground already cools down substantially over night.
Pro tip: Add summer accessories and keep the look on the casual side. Summer is much more casual than all other seasons.
You may be interested in reading my how to wear your great fall wardrobe already now.
Top of the World Style Linkup No. 321
Welcome to the Top of the World Style linkup party.
Congrats Ladies! Grab your award buttons.
Please invite your friends.Come join me at the Top of the World Style #linkup party. #ffblogger Click To Tweet
I invite all fashion and style bloggers to co-host the top of the World Style linkup party. Just send me an email with your request. Want to throw your own party?
While you are here, get a subscription to High Latitude Style to belong to the VIPs who know the first when a new post is up.
Photos of me: G. Kramm
© 2013-2021 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved