- Alaska back to school
- My back-to-school Must-haves
- What items are on my short-list
- Look of the day
- Top of the World Style linkup No. 274
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post. When you shop through my affiliate links, it helps support to cover the blog’s costs (at no additional cost to you). Thank you very much in advance for your support!
Alaska back to school
In Alaska, summer comes to an end in mid August. At this time, we get dark nights again. This means exchanging all the broken bulbs, back to school for most of the teachers, professors and students. In rural villages that live a subsistence lifestyle, school starts later so the kids can help their parents with berry picking and the hunting season.
The start of the new academic year means wearing fall clothing. The closet has to be overhauled to create a working wardrobe for the cold season. Except when living in the Anchorage area, most Alaskans have to rely on online stores to update their wardrobe.
In Fairbanks and Juneau, the two other cities of Alaska with more than 30000 inhabitants, only special niche stores exist. Think along the lines of wedding attire as well as outdoor and harsh weather clothing. In Fairbanks, there is also a Walmart, Old Navy and Fred Meyers where you sometimes may find some basic pieces. However, when these stores have something nice, Alaskans buy it in all colors.
Well there is also Value Village. But you can’t rely on them to do your cold season shopping prior to the season’s arrival.
Like these outfit ideas? If so, please feel free to pin them to your own Pinterest board.
My back-to-school Must-haves
After taking the inventory what kind of clothes have to be replaced, are missing and what trends could be added to update old pieces, I came up with the following list.
- A new bag (replacement of an old one). I am thinking about another Bellorita designer bag. I really love the orange fish satchel that I bought last fall. You may have even already seen it on the blog, but look how I styled the orange bag if you missed it. This time I want to try a different style. Still undecided. The photo below shows the one I added last fall
- Three new sheath dresses (replacements)
- A fit-and-flare dress (replacement )
- A jacket/coat for fall
- A cozy knit cardigan
- A coat dress (trend update)
- New black ankle boots or have the old ones repaired (The repair is hard as there is no shoe repair shop in Fairbanks.). I think I will look for a Harley Davidson again. The last pair (now to be replaced or repaired) has been a closet staple since almost nine years.
- What’s missing here are new underwear, shapewear, socks and tights. I will have to order some new Hipstik® Legwear. My plan is to replace all tights that are worn out or broken with Hipstiks. They last so much longer than cheap tights/pantyhose and stay in place. I bet you are probably not interested in seeing my short-list of long-Johns 😉 .
What items are on my short-list
I am in love with some of the new fall/winter collection of Karina Dresses fit-and-flares. When you are a regular reader you know that I have owned a couple of them over the years (see for instance the examples in the giftguide). I love the quality of their dresses and the great classic style. They are machine washable, i.e. easy to care for. Plus the micro-fiber fabric is wrinkle-free, i.e. perfect for business travel. Moreover, these dresses are made in the USA. Thus, the carbon footprint from transport is not so large as if they were made far away.
Speaking of fall jackets, there is a shearling vest from LeatherCoatsEtc on my short list.
I also love these coats.
Shein Drop Shoulder Teddy Coat US$23.00
Don’t let the right outfit be a random thing. Wear the right look in every situation by looking up what to wear when in How to Dress for Success in Midlife. Buy my book now.
Look of the day
Please feel free to pin the photos to your Pinterest boards.
Don’t let your outfit be a random thing. Wear the right look in every situation by looking up what to wear when in How to Dress for Success in Midlife. Buy the book now.
Top of the World Style linkup No. 274
Welcome to the Top of the World Style linkup party. The featured bloggers from last week’s party are:
Congrats Ladies! Grab your award buttons.See these awesome looks at the Top of the World Style #linkup party. #timelessstyle Click To Tweet
Get the inspiration, support, motivation, and tips to look to your best in life. Subscribe to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it you can do it too.
Photos of me: G. Kramm
© 2013-2020 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved