This guide provides outfit ideas for the best outfit to wear on Father’s Day under consideration of the plans for the day plus advice what not to wear.
- Father’s Day Outfits vs. Mother’s Day Outfits
- When in Doubt Dress According to the Venue
- Skip the Trend of the Season when Father’s Day Is a Family Reunion
- Go for Classic Casual on Father’s Day
- Risky Outfits on Father’s Day
- How to Dress When You Are the Dad?
- Resources for More Outfit Inspirations and Tips
- Top of the World Style Linkup No. 311
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
Father’s Day Outfits vs. Mother’s Day Outfits
Are you seeing your Dad on Father’s Day? No matter whether he invited you, or you are throwing a party in his honor, pay attention to what you wear. Sure, Father’s Day is much more relaxed dress-code wise than what to wear on Mother’s Day. Despite you will be his little girl for ever, you should dress like one.
When in Doubt Dress According to the Venue
A great Father’s Day look asks for relaxed casual outfits. When the party is at a certain venue like a BBQ, golf course, on the deck of a restaurant, picnic or beach, go with the dress code of the venue. The same applies for a ball game. And, don’t forget to dress in the colors of his team! And even when you favor the other team, cheer for his team. It’s his honor day.
Skip the Trend of the Season when Father’s Day Is a Family Reunion
When you have a sibling or more, they most likely will also be present on Father’s Day. Consequently, Father’s Day becomes sort of a mini family reunion. Since everyone these days has a cell phone, a group photo will be taken. A trendy outfit that is posted immediately on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram is not the problem. However, it may look ridiculous in the eyes of future kids and grandkids.
You want to settle for the stylish aunt, granny, great aunt or great grandma, not the family’s fashion victim, right?
Go for Classic Casual on Father’s Day
Riot your closet for classic summer items. Here are some tips what to look for and how to combine the items to create an ageless Father’s Day style.
- Bermuda shorts, tunic, short bead necklace, strappy flat sandals
- Ethnic summer midi dress with wedge espadrilles, long dangle earrings, wooden watch or bangles
- Striped shirt with skorts or shorts, canvas shoes, baseball hat
- A little white dress with denim jacket, ballet flats
- Gray T-shirt, white jeans, sage or olive utility jacket, long beaded necklace, wedges
Stylist’s tip: When he didn’t like your wearing pants when you were young, wear a summer dress and wedges or sneakers.
Risky Outfits on Father’s Day
Unless your Dad is a baby-boomer and wore his jeans still when they became distressed or even ripped, stay away from the distressed trend on his honor day.
Stylist’s tip: When you wear your distressed jeans, don’t bla about that you bought them that way. 😉
Resources for More Outfit Inspirations and Tips
When you liked the outfit recipes of this post, and want recipes for all kind of dressing situation in midlife, buy my book How to Dress for Success in Midlife.
Are you in need for gift ideas for stepdads, grandpas, father-in-law, or your Dad?
How to Dress When You Are the Dad?
Sure, this blog typically features outfit ideas for women. However, you can find a cool Father’s Day look for men in the post at the link.
Top of the World Style Linkup No. 311
Welcome to the Top of the World Style linkup party.
Congrats Ladies! Grab your award buttons.
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2022 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved