Holiday weight gain is a vicious circle
Holidays mean company, gifts, awesome food, and finally 3 to 5 pounds more on the scale. By New Year’s Eve, with three holidays within 36 days the pounds add up to 9 to 15, which is a full clothing size, i.e. nothing will fit right anymore. New Year’s resolutions to loose weight and exercise more are made, which stresses you out leading to further pounds on the scale. A vicious circle! Don’t even go there.Did you know that 9-15 lb make one dress size difference? #health Click To Tweet
How to not gain weight at your mom’s house
- Drink a glass of water before the meal. It makes you feel full earlier.
- Go for the white turkey, mashed potatoes, beans, raw cranberries, and skip the gravy, marshmallow sweet potatoes and filling. Gravy and filling are a lot of starch, crabs and fat. the marshmallows have pulled a lot of the nutrients of the otherwise healthy sweet potatoes and are high in calories.
- Go for the lowest calories dessert. For the same size of the slice pumpkin pie has the least calories followed by raspberry Linzer Torte, apple pie, mince meat pie, chocolate mouse, and pecan pie. If you absolutely have to have the pecan pie, share it with someone.
- Chew slowly and don’t go for seconds.
How not to gain weight at the office cocktail party
The office holiday party is also a calorie bomb. Company, chatting, and not paying attention to how much you eat and what you eat work hand in hand. These small plates are a big trap and make you eat more than you want. Thus, going for the low calorie food is a good strategy and going either for a drink or a dessert is another helpful one.
- Go for the tomato bruschetta, meatballs that are not bathed in gravy, shrimps that are not fried, vegetables (without dipping them), melon cubes, strawberries, and mozzarella, provolone, Swiss cheese cubes. Stay away from pigs in a blanket, spinach artichoke dip, crab cakes, meatballs with gravy, fried chicken, wraps, cheddar cheese cubes, and egg rolls. The latter are all high on fat.
- If you have to have a drink, choose a vodka soda, champagne or Mojito over a gin tonic, margarita, beer or pineacolada.
- Regarding the desserts see tips above.
How not to gain weight eating at the mall while gift shopping
When the hunger strikes while shopping for gifts at the mall be aware of the calorie traps.
- Take a minute and study the calories listed behind the items if you are lucky to live in a state where they have to list them.
- Go for oven-roasted chicken instead of fried or orange chicken.
- If you go for a salad, leave the croutons on the side. Go for low fat balsamic vinaigrette instead of blue cheese or Caesar dressing. Doing so may save over 150 calories. Go for grilled chicken instead of fried chicken. Be aware that cheese adds a lot of calories. If you can choose, skip it or go for Swiss, mozzarella or provolone.
- Skip the butter when you have a pretzel.
- Stay away from cinnamon rolls, bagels, wraps and burritos.
- When going for Italian food choose Mariana sauce instead of anything Alfredo as the latter has a lot of fat from the cheese.
- Go for a plain coffee instead of a latte.
Trick yourself in not wanting that food
Ask yourself whether that item is worth that you have to give up wearing your favorite dress, skirt, … (fill in the item).
Be aware that light only means it has just 50% less calories than their usual product. It still can be a calorie bomb in disguise. 🙁
If you know someone who could benefit from these tips tweet them how not to gain weight during the holidays. Thanks.
What do you do to keep off the weight? Let me know your biggest challenges by email, so I can help you.
Have a nice holiday season! 🙂
Photos: G. Kramm
Disclosure: This post has affiliate links.
© 2013-2019 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved