How to know you are short-waisted
You are short-waisted when you look relative petite when you sit and relative tall when you stand. Or in a more scientific way, determine the distance between your waist and the bottom of your bum as well as between your armpit and waist. If the latter measurement is shorter than the former, you’re short-waisted. If the opposite is true, you are long-waisted. I am long-waisted and always strive to elongate my legs.
Styling goal for short-waisted women
When you are short-waisted your lower body looks leggy. To balance your body you want to elongate your torso.
What to wear when you are short-waisted
Here I share with you a couple of tips that I give my short-waisted friends:
- Go for tops that fall below the waistline with hems on your low hip.
- Pick your belt in a color similar to your top or when your top is darker than your bottom go for a dark belt, and a light one if the opposite is true
- Wear your belt below the waistband of your pants and skirts.
- Go for thin belts less than 3/4 inch in width.
- Lower the loops on your pants, skirts, dresses, jackets and coats to get the illusion of a slightly longer torso than it actually is.
- Go for deep V-neck sweaters, unbutton the first two buttons of your shirts, go for oblong scarves and long necklaces or pendant necklaces. These items all lead the eye up away from your waist.
- Look for tops with vertical stripes. The stripes like vertical lines and seams keep the eyes moving and provides the illusion of length.
- Keep your shirt untucked.
- Wear only printed tops. The break between the top and bottom provide the illusion of a longer wait than it actually is.
- Make tunics your best friend.
- Go for a low raise in your jeans/pants, but make the sitting test. You don’t want to expose the Y! 😉
- Sheath dresses and shifts in knee-length are great options too.
What not to wear when you are short-waisted
Here is a list of items that are not flattering on short-waisted women.
- Wide belts
- Dresses with waistbands
- Prints on the bottom
- High-waisted pants or jeans
- Cropped jackets
Are you short, long or “equal” waisted? What do you do to balance your body appearance? What are your body shape challenges? Let me know by email, so I can help you.
Get the tips to look to your best in life. Get a subscription to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it you can do it too.
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2018 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved