Sure, originally belts have had the function to hold your bottoms in place or the width of your garment under control. This guide covers how to best accessorize with belts to enhance your style and balance your body shape.
- Right Belting Ups Outfits of All Styles
- You’ll Love these Easy Stylist’s Belting Tricks
- Gallery of Belt Outfit Ideas
- Belting a Sweater
- Adding Shape to a Vest
- Evening Attire
- Sheath Dress
- Adding Shape
- Various Personal Styles
- Further Readings on Accessorizing
Belting Ups Outfits of All Styles
The following ideas and tips work for all kinds of personal style – Casual, Bohemian, Classic, Urban, Dramatic/Glamorous – you name it. Don’t know your personal style? Find out with this free online style quiz.
When putting an outfit together carefully consider every detail: Your personal style, lifestyle, body type, and budget. These details are truly indispensable. Remember expensive never substitutes for style.
You’ll Love these Easy Stylist’s Belting Tricks
What to try
- A head-to-toe monochromatic outfit using the belt as an accent or pop of color.
- A skinny belt worn over a skirt for a feminine touch.
- A thin belt over a partly closed jacket of a twinset. It’s a classic.
- Belted leather pants for a cool Rock’n Roll inspired look with blazer and T-shirt on the weekend.
- Match it to your bag, clutch for the weekend.
- Add a statement to an evening gown. So unexpected.
- Add a chain or thin gold or silver leather belt to cocktail separates.
- Use this accessory to up the style of a summer maxi dress. A little white dress with tan leather looks casual posh and laid back at the same time.
- Wear a wide belt over a sheath dress at the office.
- Use it for shape to underline the slimmest point of your body.
- Balance the look of loose pants with a fitted shirt using a belt.
- For an urban summer style try a white or olive dress with a tan thin double wrap style. When your torso is long, you can pull off a triple wrap where the leather is about an inch to 1.5 inch wide (2.5-3.8 cm).
- An evergreen classic is a LBD with a white belt. Best of all, it doesn’t matter whether it is fancy or a T-shirt version or anywhere in between.
- When you have Bohemian Style try a metal one with a floral maxi, ethnic or embroidered dress.
- Add a textured belt to a floral, abstract, leaves or paisley print maxi dress.
- Use a scarf as a belt.
- Up your sweater with a statement piece.
- What about adding shape to a coat or styling your outerwear?
- Try to accentuate your waist when wearing a down vest?
- Jump the band wagon of belting a blazer
- Add shape to a straight knit dress. More on how to wear a knit dress in this guide.
- A chain belt to add glamour to a jumpsuit.
- Try a textured (e.g. alligator, crocodile, snake or lizard imprinted, laser cut or macramé belt) with a floral or abstract print jumpsuit.
- Knot the belt of a coat in the back, when wearing the coat open (e.g. side view photo of the OOTD). Otherwise, the tails can become not only a safety issue, but also get dirty when sitting down on public transportation.
- Let a statement buckle be the jewelry of your look (see OOTD).
- Knot the belt of a trench coat.
Gallery of Belt Outfit Ideas
Belting a Sweater
Adding Shape to a Vest
More on styling puffer vests.
Don’t know your body shape? Determine your body type online.
Unfortunately, when buying clothing you can already set yourself up for making mistakes when belting. An important point when choosing belts is to consider your body shape. As a matter of fact, not every belt is best for you with respect to your body shape.
Don’t miss out on my styling tips for all kind of dressing situation in midlife, buy my book How to Dress for Success in Midlife.
Further Readings on Accessorizing
This post belongs to the series on how to up your outfit with accessories. Reading more about how to
- Up your style with scarves
- Style with brooches
- Look incredibly stylish with hats, or
- Improve your style with gloves.
Photos of me: G. Kramm
© 2013-2022 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved