Hat trends of the past
Hats used to have a place all year round long time ago. My late mom once told me that my grandma (her mom) had her hats altered every season to have the latest trend. The hats usually had a neutral color and the embellishments like feather, blossoms, etc. including the hat trim were exchanged to match the latest trends in color and style.
When I was a kid, my grandpas wore straw fedoras in summer and felt fedoras in winter. In summer, they paired their hats with a light blazer, in winter with a straight wool or loden coat. My parents wore hats only in the cold season and only when it was cold. My mom hat a beautiful gray hat with feathers that I adored. My late dad had a small hat collection including a leather driver’s cap, leather and wool Prinz Heinrich Mützen (in the US these hats are called fishermen hat), a felt fedora, a Bavarian hat, a leather Australian hat, and various pom pom hats.
Hats when I was a kid
Back then I already loved hats and had a small hat collection. It included a Tirolean red hat with feathers, a red pom-pom hat, a pom-pom hat with a long tail that one could wrap around the neck, a straw hat, and a wide brim yellow hat. I have loved hats so much that I also wore a hat to my wedding (photo above).
Hat trends today
It has been a while that hats were in fashion, but hats are a hot trend right now. Here are some tips how to wear a hat that is not the usual everyday baseball hat, sunhat on vacation or the cowboy hat when visiting a western bar.
Best styling with hats over 40
As with all trends that we see around for a second time, we have to make sure to style the trend modern. When we style a trend like it was styled the first time around, we are at risk to look Old Lady or (even worse) like wearing a costume. Here are examples how to style the hat trend in midlife to achieve an effortlessly chic look.
Thriftstore finds hat and collar, shearling coat, statement belt, Burberry bag, lew morgano suede pants, Clarks booties, and LeatherCoatEtc gloves
Loft jeans, LeatherCoatsEtc classic red pea coat styled with a pom-pom hat for a posh casual outerwear look in winter (all own)
As the above examples show the hat and outerwear look must be tied together. For example, in the first photo, all colors are repeated at least once in the outfit; the beret repeats the winter white color of the bag. In the look with red pants, the hat’s color is repeated by the belt, collar, and bag; the print of the bag ties the colors of the outfit together. In the example with the Russian hat, some of its colors are repeated by the scarf, bag, and coat. The look with the pea coat is an evergreen.
Which hat to wear with which clothes
- Wide brim hats like in the wedding photo look great with Euro Chic looks like fitted sleek dresses, or skirt suits.
- Floppy wide brim hats work well with modern Bohemian outfits.
- Visor hats look great with casual outfits and look more posh than a baseball cap.
- Russian style hats need faux fur coats, heavy wool coats in military style, and shearling coats. Adding a large Russian scarf or a plaid scarf can provide an extra layer of insulation. Belting the scarf adds shape, looks posh, and ups the style factor.
- Straw hats are for summer. Wide brim, not floppy straw hats look great with sleek maxi dresses that lack a Bohemian vibe. Adding a matching scarf as a hat band makes the hat more versatile.
- A floppy straw hat is perfect with Bohemian maxi dresses.
- A narrow brim straw hat is a great addition to an urban safari style look. Be careful when adding animal print to this look as you can easily end up in costumy territory. It is a slim balance between looking effortlessly stylish and like trying to hard.
- Western hats look great with an American West Ralph Lauren like style. Stay away from adding cowboy boots plus plaid shirt and Indian jewelry on all burners to avoid looking costumy.
- Felt fedoras look great with classic trend coats, winter wool coats, and motorcycle jackets.
- Style straw fedoras with straight jeans and a white short-sleeve shirt in summer. White denim pants or chinos with a dark short-sleeve shirt are great options too.
- Pom-pom hats have a casual vibe. They are great with casual or sporty outdoor winter clothes like down-jackets, down-coats, and short shearling jackets. In the urban jungle, they also look trendy with heavy camel coats or wool coats as well as pea-coats. Neutral colors like black, gray and white look mature. Go for a pop of color when you are a gray fox. In all cases, skip on anything neon.
- A Greek fisherman’s hat or Prinz Heinrichmütze as it is called in Germany is tricky. In middle Europe, this type of hat is worn in navy blue mostly by men in fall with a straight jacket in coastal regions. In the US, it is a style statement worn out of its original content. In the sense of Isaac Mirzahi, one tries out various pieces and looks what looks the rightest wrong.
- Trapper hats look great with shearling coats, down coats or heavy wool military style coats.
Further inspirations with hats
Burberry motorcycle coat, GNW tight, 3.1 Philip Lim tote, zipper blossom embellished fedora (all own)
Drivers wool cap, Great Northwest denim jacket, Newport News leather pants, Ralph Lauren pumps, Kieselstein Cord belt, Jeanne and Pierre sweater, pearl necklace (all own)
Straw hat, Coach bag, Juicy Couture patent leather mules (all own), and summer vacation dress c/o HSN
Metal bag, gold sandals, Chica sundress with scarf used to update a straw hat (all own)
Oliveo leather shorts, Michael Kors paten leather plateau sandals, Carhartt gingham shirt, Kieselstein Cord belt, Hermes bangles, Tissot watch and straw visor (all own)
Jones New York cardigan, Ralph Lauren polka dot skirt, The Limited polo shirt, Hermes collier de chien bangle, Kieselstein Cord belt, and LeatherCoatsEtc. Greek Fisherman hat (all own)
OOTD with hat
When you found these tips how to wear hats inspiring please tell your friends. Thanks <3
Will you jump the bandwagon on the hat trend? If so what kind of hats do you want to try out? How will you style them? Have you already a hat? Do you like the hat trend? Let me know your style challenges with hat by sending me an email so I can help you with tips and tricks.
When you like the blog, you may also want to get my style recipe book How to Dress for Success in Midlife. Buy it now.
Get the inspirations to look to your best in midlife. Get a subscription to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it you can do it too.
Photos: G. Kramm
Disclosure: This post has affiliate links.
© 2013-2019 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved