Outdoor concert season outfits are weather proof summer looks
Summer is outdoor concert season. A big event here in the Interior is Foodstock, a concert that raises funds for food. There are also open-air concerts within the framework of the Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival.
No matter where your are, there probably will be a nice outdoor concert you want to attend this summer. The big question is what a 50 years old should wear to a concert. The aim of this post is to give some festival outfit tips for 50plus seniors.
Outdoor concerts are everything goes, but not everything is practical
Such concerts are to a certain degree an everything goes fashion-wise. Thus, you may want to take a risk, but err along you your style to not go over board and to not look ridiculous.Always dress true to your personal style. Click To Tweet
Stay with the vibe of the music
Of course, you want to take into account what type of outdoor concert you go to. It’s probably not wise to dress in punk inspired clothes when you go to a Bluegrass concert or in Rock’n Roll attire when it’s a folks music festival. When the bands are playing in a park for a National Day you may also read this post on how to dress for an patriotic event.When dressing to listen to an outdoor concert, take the music and weather in mind. #stylesolutions Click To Tweet
8 tips for stylish outdoor concert looks
Here are eight tips on what to wear for an outdoor concert to be stylish, but also comfortable no matter what the weather is like.
- Thus, first thing, check the weather forecast as this will be decisive whether to dress for rain or sun.
- In the case of rain, go for wellies or rain booties when the temperatures are below 70F (20oC). If they are above, flip flops will do the trick. In the case of sun shine, go for canvas sneakers, flat strappy sandals, ballet flats, flat gladiators, or flat booties that match the vibe of your outfit.
- Wear a hat to keep the Sun out of your face (wrinkle and age-spot alert!). It is not only practical, but also ups your look style wise when it matches the vibe of your outfit. There are many options (e.g. floppy Bohemian hats, felt western style, Panama hats, wide-brim straw hats).
- Sun cream and a hat are must-haves, no matter what. Even the diffuse radiation in the shadow may cause a sunburn. Who needs that?!
- While the younger generation probably will be happy with a romper, sandals, statement necklace, hat, and backpack, or cutoffs, tank/T-shirt, fanny pack, sweatband and gladiator sandals, we over 40 (baby boomers, generation X) may prefer a more Bohemian or Punk inspired style. Nice options for us over 40 are black harems pants with a cotton top, long pendant necklace and silver thong sandals, leather pants with striped top, denim jacket or vest and flat booties are nice options. Belly bottoms with a graphic T-shirt, espadrilles (avoid plateaus as you may risk injuring your ankles on uneven ground) with a floppy hat are risky, but work when you make sure that the individual pieces all scream 21st century and not 70s.
- As an extra layer for chilly evenings a button down shirt or jeans jacket will do. During the day knot it around the waist or neck. Stay away from anything knitted as it may get stuck in the chains of the person dancing/standing next to you.
- Light-weight, breezy cotton fabrics are best. Dark floral and colorful ethnic prints are great for dresses, tops, pants or skirts. Plaid or lightweight denim shirts look awesome with jeans (and for twenty somethings with short shorts or cutoffs). Ethnic inspired dresses work well too.
- Go for a cross-body mini-bag or a belt bag. Everything large will just jump up and down when you dance and you end up with bruises all over your body. A rucksack is risky when it is too large for the same reasons, and moreover it may hit everyone behind you and to your side when you turn around. You are namely not used to moving with a hump like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.
In an earlier post I showed how I wear my Boho. Since don’t own many Boho Style pieces, I went to eShakti’s page as I had recently seen an ad on google+ and facebook that they now have Bohemian dresses. Not only did they add this style to their offer, but also revamped their page. It is now so much easier to search for and find what you look for – in my case – concert suitable Bohemian pieces. Here are some photo outfit inspirations.
eShakti has a $10 coupon code when you sign up with them.
Bohemian-inspired festival attire
eShakti ethnic floral bird print cotton maxi dress. Add a floppy or straw hat, big wooden beads short necklace, and cross-body mini-bag to finish the outfit
eShakti ethnic cut inspired dress. Knot a denim shirt around the waist, long pendant necklace and a leather western inspired hat to finish the look. Swap the wedges for flats
eShakti fun floral print tassel tie crepe maxi dress. CL0061766. Add cross-body bag, booties, combat boots or Dr. Martens and a floppy hat. Knot a denim shirt around the waist in case it gets cool. Love that the dress covers the arms.
eShakti vintage floral vine print georgette ruched maxi dress CL0067239. Add strappy flat tan sandals, knot a black shirt around your neck, cross-body bag and a Bohemian style hat.
Chica summer dress with floppy straw hat, mini cross-body bag, Hermes collier de chien bangle, Seiko watch, D&GM sunglasses, and metallic thong sandals (all own)
eShakti wide printed pants. To finish the outfit add a blue or white T-shirt with a printed wide cotton scarf in another print but matching colors that will serve as cover-up when it gets chilly. A wide-brim straw hat and long pendant necklace with belt bag add style
eShakti wrapped shorts. I would have them customized to be just above the knee and ask for not adding the pom pom hem (which I had loved as a twenty something). I would pair them with a matching blue T-shirt, chambray shirt knotted around the waist, a Panama hat and woven mini-bag
When you liked the outfit tips, and want such tips for all kind of dressing situation in midlife, buy my book How to Dress for Success in Midlife.
Rock’n Roll attire
Victoria Victoria Beckham dress, Ray Ban sunglasses,Moschino belt, studded VS Moda International motorcycle vest, Esprit bag (all own)
Are you going to an outdoor concert this summer? What will you wear? Let me know in the comments, I am curious.
Get the inspiration, support, motivation, and tips to look to your best in life. Get a subscription to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it you can do it too.
Photos of me: G. Kramm
Disclosure: The photos indicated as from eShakti were downloaded from their web page. This post has affiliate links. The post is not endorsed by eShakti. It represents my own 100% honest opinion.
© 2013-2019 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved