- Snake print has an enduring appeal
- From currency over status symbol to slow fashion
- How to pick the snakeskin print
- How to style snake-print trousers
- Further snake-print pants outfit ideas
- Top of the World Style linkup No. 233
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
Snake print has an enduring appeal
This season snake print is a big all over the clothes rack. It seems there isn’t a clothing item that escaped to get the print. Despite it’s a current trend, it actually is a timeless classic with an exotic vibe. Perfect as a bold statement piece for Dramatic, Bombshell, Edgy, Bohemian style or Euro Chic. Thus, when you want to add an ageless time to your wardrobe, now is the time to invest.
Snakes have fascinated humankind since ancient times. Think of Adam and Eve, many of the famous master paintings, and the biological fact that this animal can move without any extremities.
Now how to wear a pair of snake-print pants to look stylish and not like a fashion victim? This post presents a bit of background, what to consider when buying and styling the pants.
From currency over status symbol to slow fashion
The roots go back to the real skin that served for water proof shoes, boots and coats, as well as expensive, lavish luxury items like clutches, belts or bags. Also these reptiles’ iridescent shine and color variety contributed to the myth and the desire of the Rich to adorn themselves with this reptiles’ hides. No wonder, that in history, snakeskin has served as currency.
The print of course is much more friendly to the animal than the real skin. Not to mention that the stiffness and touch is much better than the real skin. Just imaging a pair of snakeskin pants! They would be so stiff like an old pair of Bavarian lederhosen!
How to pick the snakeskin print
Here is a list of things to consider when buying these animal-print trousers.
- The cut matters. To not look like trying to hard go for a classic straight cut. It may have the current It length just above or around the ankle. This hem looks great with pointy toe pumps of booties. Stir away from anything skinny unless you intent to wear the pants in the gym for workout with a tunic length Tee.
- Know the undeniable pants truths. Pick the cut that is best for your body-shape.
- Think of the scale colors as geometrical pattern. The patterns can be arranged diamond-like like the anaconda, in irregular patches like the python, without any color, but size variation like the cobra or without any size and color variation like the karung.
- Chose the scale of the print wisely. The scales themselves can be oval or spherical elements or like the fins of a fish. Recall, less is more also when it comes to this pattern of scales.
How to style snake-print trousers
Here a list of things to consider when styling the trend.
- Wear snake-print pants as an interesting neutral. When you plan to wear the trend to work go for the classic color palette of a mix of brown or gray colors. This means you can consider your trousers as a neutral. Thus, they go with pretty much anything you have in your closet.
- Use the pants to create interest in an all neutral color outfit.
- Use them to create interest in a monochromatic look.
Interested in more dressing tips? Then my style book “how to Dress for Success in Midlife” is perfect for you. Buy the book now.
Further snake-print pants outfit ideas
Here some examples of how I wear this trend with my Sierra Studio bottoms. I hope they can inspire you when you think about jumping the bandwagon.
With stripes: Dyed Moda International cardigan, GNW striped sweater, Kieselstein Cord belt and buckle (all own), Akoya pearl necklace c/o the Pearl Source
All neutrals: Landsend winter white cashmere sweater, unbranded brown cashmere cardigan, brooch as closure, nylon socks and unbranded pointy toe flats (all own)
When you like the outfits, why not pinning it to your Pinterest board?
Did you know that you can find coupon codes on my gift guide page?
Further reading on this exotic pattern
Wrapping up, a pair of snakeskin patterned pants in a neutral color looks posh and can be styled like a neutral color. When you love the print you may also like to read about what to wear with a snake print skirt. Speaking of it, the beast’s skin faux or real is also a classic for shoes and bags as well as accessories. You can find an style guide with great snake print outfit ideas at the link.
Top of the World Style linkup No. 233
Welcome to the 233rd Top of the World Style linkup party.
Let’s see who from last week’s party got featured.
You clicked Jill’s fall style post the most making her the Top of the World OOTD Readers’ Fav. She blogs at Doused in Pink.
I picked Paula’s posts on snake-phobias approach to the trend. She blogs at Dimples on my What. I wish I could pull off a long cardigan. So chic. Love the bag.
The random generator drew Tiina L.’s entrance number. Thus,she became the Top of the World Style Winner. Tiina is the blogger at Elegance Revisited She showed how she beats gray nasty, windy snow rain weather with a down-coat and a colorful umbrella. Looks like in Finland winter also started with icy roads from freezing snow rain like up here in the Interior. At least, here it didn’t come with wind. You know in the Interior you fear wind more than 40 below, do you?
Congrats Ladies! Grab your award buttons.See these awesome looks at the Top of the World Style #linkup party. #agelessstyle Click To Tweet
Photos of me: G. Kramm
© 2013-2020 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved