Tweed dreams and nightmares
Fashion has its great tweed moments. Which girl has never dreamed of a Chanel tweed jacket? How awesome did Jackie O. look in her tweed skirt? Tweed is a classic stylish material. Tweed is a classic and is so versatile. A high quality tweed skirt is worth the investment. However, it’s important to know how to style it, well, to not look Old Lady.
Tweed the old way
What I mean with this is that tweed is also associated with often boring conservative winter clothes, i.e. suits, skirt suits with a hem below the knee. Tweed was also what our mothers wore for Sunday’s Best when they were our age. Some of us may have worn a tweed (skirt) suit with pumps to our first job interview with a black cashmere sweater or a white button down shirt in the 80s.
Tweed provides stylish thermal comfort
Tweed is a great fabric. It has great insulation properties and can make the stretch from elegant to casual without problems. This means a tweed skirt, jacket or blazer are a good investment. Here are my tips to land a winning tweed outfit.
- Try to style a straight, just above the knees tweed skirt casual with a sport vibe by adding a belted cable knit sweater and statement sneakers.
- Wear a tweed jacket with a white button-down shirt or turtleneck sweater and jeans or leather pants and pumps for the office (if your dress code allows denim and leather).
- For date night try a distressed denim just above the knee skirt with sequin top and a tweed blazer, a clutch and black patent leather pumps.
- If you can pull off high waisted pants, try a pair in tweed and pair them with a turtleneck sweater and pumps. Think a modern interpretation of Marlene Dietrich’s signature style from the 40s.
- For the daring, try pairing a tweed skirt with a floral top. So unexpected.
- Get your tweed piece in an unexpected cut, for instance, cut as a motorcycle or bomber jacket. Style it like you would style a piece in that cut.
- A tweed coat in a classic cut works with nearly everything. Add a pop of color with your accessories. Think of your outerwear like you think of your OOTD. Your outerwear is your urban/outdoor OOTD.
- Wear a straight tweed skirt with riding boots, opaque tights, a crew-neck sweater, a bomber jacket and chandeliers for casual Friday.
Tweet: 10 tips to look great in tweed over 40 #fashionover40 #agelessstyle http://ctt.ec/g3sJ0+
Here some inspirations how to style tweed over 40.
Example an unmatched suit for the office. Ann Taylor floral weave tweed skirt with blazer, Landsend sweater, Kate Moss for Longchamp satchel, L.K. Bennett patent leather pumps, Kieselstein Cord belt and buckle, statement necklace, and Hermes collier de chien bangle (all own). The floral weave of the tweed skirt looks unexpected and modern
Example of Ann Taylor floral tweed skirt with Burberry plaid blazer, silk scarf, L.K. Bennett patent leather pumps, Gucci scarf,and Kate Moss for Longchamp satchel (all own) as unmatched suit where the blazer serves as outerwear
Example of Ann Taylor floral tweed skirt worn with GNW tights, GNW Luxe sweater, DIY statement necklace, heeled ducks, LV bucket bag, and Great Northwest denim jacket (all own) for Casual Friday
Example Eddie Bauer tweed skirt with Notations floral top, BCBG statement belt and Valentino pumps (all own) for a fall work look
Example tweed Jacket Society motorcycle jacket over leather sheath dress, Anne Klein sweater, DIY pendant necklace, Festina watch, Hermes collier de chien bangle, and Apostrophe Mary Janes (all own) for work
Example of Ann Taylor floral tweed skirt worn with an Oliveo button down shirt, statement necklace, Tissot stone watch, Oliveo suede cropped blazer, Hermes collier de chien bangle, Kate Moss for Longchamp bag, and Dior over-the-knee boots (all own) for an office appropriate winter look
Example of Eddie Bauer tweed skirt with GNW tights, fall booties, and Landsend cashmere sweater, Modalo Pippa bag, and VS lather vest (all own) for a casual fall look
Example Eddie Bauer tweed skirt with Brooks Brother striped cashmere sweater with layering top, GNW tight, and a pop of color with Christian Louboutin neon pumps (all own) for a winter office look
Example Ann Taylor tweed blazer, Oliveo button-down shirt, leather culottes, Coach bag, DvF sunglasses, statement necklace, and Christian Louboutin pumps (all own) for a modern office look
Example tweed Jacket Society motorcycle jacket with London Jean leather pants, Salvotore Ferragamo pumps, Jaeger tote, Hermes collier de chien bracelet, statement belt (all own), and layering top c/o Adea
How not to wear tweed over 40
- Matching skirt and/or pants plus blazer as this combination was the go-to in the 80s for the twenty somethings. Thus, this look lets us over 40 look old-fashioned/trapped in time.
- Wearing it like your mother did. It would send the message that you never developed your own style and/or ideas. Copy-cat alert in the worst sense!
- Wearing a straight tweed skirt with lace flat shoes and a matching embellished twinset or a boxy long (shapeless) jacket.
What tweed items are in your closet? How do you wear your tweed? Let me know, I am curious. Send an email or link it up tomorrow at the Top of the World Style fashion linkup party in addition to your OOTD. Note you don’t need to have a blog to participate. You can also linkup facebook, instagram, pinterest or google+ posts.
When you like to read about how to turn fashion into style get a subscription to High Latitude Style to get an email when a new post goes up.
Disclosure: This post has affiliate links.
© 2013-2018 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved