This general guide provides tips on how to look ageless in knits. Read what works and what does to look your best everyday when wearing knitted attire.
- Knits Are Basics in the Cold Season
- What Works
- Knits Outfit Ideas for over 40
- What Doesn’t Work
- Stylist’s Remarks How to Look Ageless in Knits
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
Knits Are Basics in the Cold Season
Knits are great to add color to our wardrobe. They are also comfortable and most of them do not require ironing. When wearing knits think beyond chunky heavy sweaters and jackets. There are no reasons for wearing baggy and chunky knits when temperatures drop into the single or negative digits.
There are so much more options. Norwegian Lice sweaters or jackets are real classics and look great with both jeans or wool trousers. Wearing an original with the right fit of this iconic pieces is a great start for an ageless look. Learn more about what to look for in an Fair Isle sweater to be able to distinguish a trendy version from an ageless original piece and about what the key characteristics of the original Irish cable-knit sweaters are at the links (Posts open in new tabs).
Know the high quality originals.
Season-less, light knits in silk, cashmere or Merino wool are great investments and layering pieces. Layering is always in style. Actually, layering is timeless, chic and stylish. Thin jersey allows for great cuts and tailoring. It’s also travel friendly as it won’t wrinkle.
Pro advice for buying knits: For ageless style invest in classic pieces in the highest quality you can afford.
- Twinsets – faux or real
- Knit skirt with cardigan as an unmatched suit
- Silk or cashmere sweater with an evening dress
- A cardigan instead of a blazer
- Cardigan over a shift or sheath dress
- Jersey layering top or cashmere/silk sweater under a sheath or jumper
- Tailored wool or cashmere sweater knit coats or jackets
- Cotton jersey tailored dresses
- Sleek sweater dresses. See this post for how to wear a sweater dress.
- Turtleneck Fair Isle sweater in natural colors with a pencil skirt, wool dress pants (for work in winter) or dark jeans on the weekend
- Fishermen cable-knit sweater with pencil skirt or wool pants (for work in winter) with jeans (for the weekend)
- Jersey (wrap) dresses, coats, skirts, pants or blazers
- Leggings for the gym
- Cozy sweaters of high quality material when it is frigid cold. More on which cozy sweaters are best for your climate region.
Ageless Knits Outfit Ideas for over 40
Here are some styling options of what works well for the office, vacation and weekend. Get inspired.
What Doesn’t Work
- Cheap jersey
- Any dress shorter than two hands above the knee (aka micro minis)
- Baggy knit dresses – frumpy
- Ruffles, embroidery and embellishment (sequins, pearls, etc.) all on one piece
- Shapeless knit skirt plus baggy knit sweater/jacket combinations –
- 50s’ cropped cardigans with beading along the neck and at the end of the sleeves – old-fashioned
- Fair Isle vests – past your prime. You don’t want to re-live the 70s.
- Holiday sweaters. There is a reason they are called Ugly Holiday sweaters, right?
- Crochet bikini
- Woodstock-type crochet coats, jackets, vests or sweaters. It looks like you want to re-live your youth again. We are happy with who we are!
- Tight and super mini knit dresses (sausage alert) with over-the-knee boots (too young)
- Knit ponchos
Stylist’s Remarks on How to Look Ageless in Knits
Cashmere, Merino wool and silk jerseys in the neutral colors of you palette in simple, classic cuts are worth the investment. Buy them in the highest quality you can afford. Cotton pieces are great for vacation and weekend style. Knitted scarves and hats look great as winter accessories. They are the warmest in Musk ox underwool, qiviut.I just read this great post on how to look ageless in knits. #agelessstyle #timelessstyle Click To Tweet
Do you like wearing knits? What’s your favorite, sweater, cardigans, or dresses? Where do you wear them? How do you wear your knits? Have you already stocked up on knits for the cold season? Do you prefer knit tops or dresses? Let me know, I am curious.
Get the tips to look to your best in life. Get a subscription to High Latitude Style. When I can do it you can do it too.
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2021 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved