- Knits are basics in the cold season
- What works
- Knits outfit ideas for over 40
- What doesn’t work
- Stylist’s remarks
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
Knits are basics in the cold season
Knits are great to add color to our wardrobe. They are also comfortable and most of them do not require ironing. When wearing knits think beyond chunky heavy sweaters and jackets. There are no reasons for wearing baggy and chunky knits when temperatures drop into the single or negative digits.
There are so much more options. Fair Isle sweaters, Norwegian Lice sweaters or jackets as well as Irish cable-knit sweaters are real classics. For the history of these items and what to look for to obtain a traditional classic piece in these categories check the posts at the links.
Season-less, light knits in silk, cashmere or Merino wool are great investments and layering pieces. Layering is always in style. Actually, layering is timeless, chic and stylish. Thin jersey allows for great cuts and tailoring. It’s also travel friendly as it won’t wrinkle.
Pro advice for buying knits: For ageless style invest in classic pieces in the highest quality you can afford.
- Twinsets – faux or real
- Knit skirt with cardigan as an unmatched suit
- Silk or cashmere sweater with an evening dress
- A cardigan instead of a blazer
- Cardigan over a shift or sheath dress
- Jersey layering top or cashmere/silk sweater under a sheath or jumper
- Tailored wool or cashmere sweater knit coats or jackets
- Cotton jersey tailored dresses
- Sleek sweater dresses. See this post for how to wear a sweater dress.
- Turtleneck Fair Isle sweater in natural colors with a pencil skirt, wool dress pants (for work in winter) or dark jeans on the weekend
- Fishermen cable-knit sweater with pencil skirt or wool pants (for work in winter) with jeans (for weekend)
- Jersey (wrap) dresses, coats, skirts, pants or blazers
- Leggings for the gym
Knits outfit ideas for over 40
Here are some styling options of what works well for the office, vacation and weekend. Get inspired.
Samantha Brown jersey wrap dress with a delicate print c/o HSN, accessorized with wood watch c/o Jord, worn with own Dr. Scholl wedges, Jones New York cardigan, and Kate Moss for Longchamp satchel
J. Crew skirt, GNW tight, Söfft boots, GNW Luxe (dyed) sweater, smoky quartz statement necklace, Hermes collier de chien bangle, Festina watch (all own) and pearl studs c/o Wendy Mignot
Karina Dresses paisley print long-sleeve fit-and-flare dress, Gucci belt, GNW tight, L.K. Bennett suede leather boots (all own)
Anne Klein scarf, statement belt, GNW polka dot tight (all own), dress c/o Amiclubwear and Musse & Cloud booties c/o Coolway
Barbour cable-knit dress with brown GNW tights, Kieselstein Cord belt and buckle, smoky quartz statement necklace, Hermes collier de chien bangle and Coach logo fabric leather booties
eShakti tailored cotton jersey dress with Jaeger tote, Madden Girl lace-up sandals, Hermes cuff, garnet statement necklace, and Medor watch (all own)
eShakti fit-and-flare color blocked cotton jersey dress with Anne Klein pumps, Hermes collier de chien bangle and brooch (all own)
GNW Luxe cashmere wool V-neck sweater with Burberry skirt, unbranded pantyhose, Hermes collier de chien bangle, native mother-of-pearl and onyx watch, opera length pearl necklace, H-bracelet (all own)
GNW purple tight,Söfft shearling buckle booties, unbranded belt, Heide Ara buckle, amethyst earrings (all own) and Penelope sweater dress c/o Femme Luxe
Celeste c/o Eagle Eyes with skirt c/o LilySilk, studs c/o Wendy Mignot, own Sak bag, unbranded pantyhose, Gloria VanDerBilt open-toe pumps, Burberry London trench coat, Brooks Brothers top, lapis and malachite beads necklace (all own)
Brooks Brothers mock neck cashmere sweater under Ruby Belle plaid sheath dress with GNW tights, Steve Madden booties (all own)
Barbour cable-knit dress worn over suede skirt belted with vintage MOSCHINO belt for shape and proportions and red tights and red Manolo Blahnik booties to elongate the legs
Karina Dresses empire-waist dress, BP ankle strap espadrilles, statement necklace and bracelet, Ray Ban mirrored aviator sunglasses, Jockey camisole, and Coach bag (all own)
Dressing up distressed BJ jeans with a white short sleeve blazer, foral pumps, a silk cashmere knit sweater, Tissot watch, golden bangle, Hermes collier de chien bangle and white jade and onyx necklace c/o Almo Jewellery
Moda International long silk cashmere cardigan (dyed) over Ruby Belle plaid sheath dress with GNW tights, Hermes collier de chien bangle, statement leopard pendant necklace, and Peter Kaiser block heel pumps (all own)
Anne Klein cable-knit turtleneck sweater with Newport News leather pants, pearls, Kieselstein Cord belt, H-buckle, Hermes collier de chien bangle, and Apostrophe pumps (all own)
Unbranded purple cashmere sweater, DIY belt, Prada pumps, unbranded pantyhose, Hermes collier de chien bangle, headband, amethyst earrings (all own) and studded skirt c/o Misook
Eddie Bauer Fair Isle sweater with Sienna Studio leather pencil skirt, Kieselstein Cord belt and buckle, GNW tights, and Vince Camuto boots (all own)
Sunnies c/o Messyweekend with own unbranded silk scarf, Diane von Fürstenberg dress, Gucci scarf, statement necklace, topas earrings, L.K. Bennett tall boots, Hermes collier de chien bangle, Festina watch, Prada bag (all own)
Lula Roe abstract galaxy-like print fit-and-flare dress, statement belt, Very Fine sandals, Belorita fish bag, statement necklace with moonstone and citrin, Hermes collier de chien bangle (all own) and c/o Tricia Tanaka cape hoodie
What doesn’t work
- Cheap jersey
- Any dress shorter than two hands above the knee (aka micro minis)
- Baggy knit dresses – frumpy
- Ruffles, embroidery and embelishment (sequins, pearls, etc.) all on one piece
- Shapeless knit skirt plus baggy knit sweater/jacket combinations –
- 50s’ cropped cardigans with beading along the neck and at the end of the sleeves – old-fashioned
- Fair Isle vests – past your prime. You don’t want to re-live the 70s.
- Holiday sweaters. There is a reason they are called Ugly Holiday sweaters, right?
- Crochet bikini
- Woodstock-type crochet coats, jackets, vests or sweaters. It looks like you want to re-live your youth again. We are happy with who we are!
- Tight and super mini knit dresses (sausage alert) with over-the-knee boots (too young)
- Knit ponchos
Cashmere, Merino wool and silk jerseys in the neutral colors of you palette in simple, classic cuts are worth the investment. Buy them in the highest quality you can afford. Cotton pieces are great for vacation and the weekend. Musk ox underwool, qiviut, is great for scarfs and hats.I just read this great post on how to look ageless in knits. #agelessstyle #timelessstyle Click To Tweet
Do you like wearing knits? What’s your favorite, sweater, cardigans, or dresses? Where do you wear them? How do you wear your knits? Have you already stocked up on knits for the cold season? Do you prefer knit tops or dresses? Let me know, I am curious.
Get the tips to look to your best in life. Get a subscription to High Latitude Style. When I can do it you can do it too.
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2020 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved