Patriotic outfits can be stylish. In many Nations, it’s tradition to dress in patriotic attire on the National Holiday for parades or parties. Therefore, you must not be an American to get something out of this post. Read how to look your best when creating a patriotic outfit from pieces in your closet, whatever your national colors may be.
- Use Your National Colors to Create a Stylish Patriotic Outfit
- How to Dress for National Day
- Why to Avoid Meant to Be “Funny Independence Day Attire“
- How to Avoid Looking Costumed in Patriotic Colors
- How to Get Patriotic Dressing Right at any Age
- Stylish Patriotic Outfit Ideas for Women over 50
- Wrapping Up
Disclosure: This post has affiliate links.
Use Your National Colors to Create a Stylish Patriotic Outfit
Even though my outfit inspirations are in red-white-and-blue, this post is meant to be inclusive for all my readers. You, for sure, have enough fantasy to replace those colors with your National colors.
How to Dress for a National Day
You can use the colors of the flag or colors that are close enough to show the intent to dress with the theme. The photo below, for instance, substituted red with pink. It’s close enough for a stylish patriotic outfit.
The next photo is an example where the original blue is exchanges for a light blue.
There is no need to just wear the National Colors. In the stylish patriotic outfit inspiration below, for instance, the leopard shoes add brown, tan and black.
Stylist tip: Adding another color reduces the risk to look costumed.
Try outfits that also would work on a normal weekend, but just have the colors. Here are some visual, stylish patriotic outfit inspirations that include the colors, but could also be worn on a weekend.
Why to Avoid Meant to Be “Funny Independence Day Attire“
Many people died for their country’s Independence. Therefore, even not so extreme Independence Day Attire as the young lady in the photo below may ne received as disrespectful. Moreover, these items are never stylish at any age.
How to Avoid Looking Costumed in Patriotic Colors
Here is a list of what not to wear when dressing for National Day.
- Ruffles are an element of costumes and Romantic Style, but not for a serious event like a National Day. Therefore, avoid them like the plague.
- Stay away from bikini, shorts, socks, T-shirts, dresses, shoes, sunglasses, hats, shirts, etc. with flag prints. It’s plain tasteless
- Don’t cut an old flag, and make it into an apron.
How to Get Patriotic Dressing Right at any Age
Stylist’s tricks to dress patriotically, respectfully and stylishly.
- Riot your closet for items in your national colors. If you plan to go to a parade or dress for a BBQ with friends, create a casual outfit with these items like you would wear at a normal weekend.
- An alternative is to just go with the spirit and use colors that are in the same hue. Again create a casual look in your style. You may even add another color to your national colors or swap just one color with a color in the same family but a different hue. But let the spirit still be obvious. For example, when your nation has just one color like orange for the Netherlands, salmon pink or peach are great options. You even may add another color in small doses and still get a patriotic look. If you style a monochromatic look in just your nation’s color add interest by different texture or shine.
- Leave one color out.
- Create an outfit that includes the colors.
Stylish Patriotic Outfit Ideas for Women over 40
The following photos illustrate the above discussed concepts applied in red-white and blue national-inspired looks for women over 40.
When you liked the outfit recipes of this post, and want recipes for all kind of dressing situation in midlife, buy my book How to Dress for Success in Midlife.
Wrapping Up Stylish Patriotic Outfit
No matter what your nationality is, when it comes to dressing in the national colors, one may end up looking costumed. To avoid looking ridiculous in patriotic attire.
- Stay away from anything ruffled. Ruffles are an element of costumes.
- Don’t wear shorts, socks, T-shirts, dresses, shoes, sunglasses, hats etc. that have flag prints.
- Pick items in the national colors from your closet and create a casual tasteful outfit that you could imagine to wear at a normal weekend.
- When you like a twist or only want to go with the vibe, add another color or leave one out.
- Substitute one color with a color that is close to your national colors.
What do you do on your National Day? Do you have a family tradition? What are your plans for Independence Day? Do you have a patriotic inspired backup plan for a rainy July 4th? Will you wear a patriotic outfit?
Happy 4th of July to my fellow Americans.
Photos of me: G. Kramm
© 2013-2022 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved