- Get a head start on your summer dresses in spring
- How to create visible layers for style
- Styling tips for summer dresses in spring
- Styling inspiration photos
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
Get a head start on your summer dresses in spring
Are you frustrated that you can’t wear your new summer dress yet? Don’t be. Here are some inspirations how you can get a head start on your summer fashion. Of course, when wearing summer clothes in spring avoiding to catch a cold is key. Thus, layering is key.
There are two possibilities to create the right amount of insulation: Long underwear or warmer underwear than you would wear in summer. Like adding a slip or long Tee under a dress. This way you get the same looks like you will wear later.
How to create visible layers for style
The other possibility is the more stylish one: Visible layers. A major advantage, the looks are different from those you will wear in summer. Thus, you won’t fall so easily into a summer wardrobe crisis like the winter wardrobe boredom you try to escape from right now. You can find tips how to layer stylishly at the link.
Styling tips for summer dresses in spring
Of course, not all summer clothes are suitable to be worn already in spring. Here are my best tips what to try:
- Most casual or girly summer dresses look great with a cardigan
- Denim or chambray summer dresses look great with a grandpa collar knit jacket, belt, tights and tan fall sandals, heeled loafers or oxfords
- Check whether the vibe of the dress permits styling it with a baseball jacket, bomber or blazer
- Wear a floral print fit-and-flare summer dress with matching tights and a denim jacket
- Wear a solid color dress with black tights and a cardigan in a third color, repeat two of the colors in the accessories at least two times
- Wear a printed full skirt dress as a skirt with a sweater and scarf and belt the sweater for shape. Add booties and matching tight
- Wear a layering halftee or top under a shortsleeve or sleeveless sheath or A-line dress. Add matching tights and heeled oxfords or fall sandals
- Wear a retro style summer dress with a motorcycle jacket, tights and booties
- Try a black lace dress with black tights, booties and a washed denim jacket
The summer dress in the OOTD (photo above) is designed for work with cool air conditioning in mind. Thus, it is easy to be styled for spring. Just add colors that are more associated with the cold season like tan accessories and shoes.
Styling inspiration photos
Here are some examples of how to style the little white dress shown in the photo above for the cold to warm transition season. You can find tips how to wear spring’s new trends at the link.
Summer dress c/o Lookbook Store styled in Euro Chic with own Burberry plaid blazer, Kieselstein Cord belt, Ray Ban sunglasses, pantyhose and Hermes collier de chien leather band
LWD c/o Lookbook Store styled with own Jaeger tote, studded heels, Hermes collier de chien bangle, whimsical necklace, D&GM sunglasses, and Notation floral print blazer
Summer sheath c/o Lookbook Store styled with layering top c/o Adea, own bangle, pendant necklace, GNW tights and Nicole sandals
White V-neck dress c/o Lookbook Store with own Gloria Vanderbilt pumps, Hermes enamel bangles, Moschino belt, LV studded multi-color bag, multiple strings pearl necklace, and Moda International cardigan for some extra insulation
Warm season sheath c/o Lookbook Store with own Great Northwest suede safari jacket, Salavtore Ferragamo Vara pumps, olong floral print scarf , Ray Ban sunglasses, and Jaeger tote
LWD c/o Lookbook Store with own Michael Kors baseball leather jacket, Anne Klein T-strap pumps, pantyhose, statement necklace, Ray Ban sunglasses, and Burberry bag
Jersey fitted sheath c/o Lookbook Store with own Red Star taylored denim jacket, DIY necklace, Hermes collier de chien bangle, GNW tights, and Aldo pumps
Summertime sheath with V-neck c/o Lookbook Store with own Vittoria Verani blazer over Red Star denim jacket styled with Salvatore Ferragano pumps, Jaeger tote, Ray Ban sunglasses, pantyhose and statement necklace
When you liked the outfit recipes of this post, and want recipes for all kind of dressing situation in midlife, buy my book How to Dress for Success in Midlife.
Are you registered for my email notification to let you know when a post goes live? I’d highly appreciate it if you take the time to sign up and ask your friends to sign up too!!
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2020 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved