Cinco de Mayo outfit ideas should build on the fun, festive atmosphere without looking costumery or like a cliche. Read what works and what doesn’t to look your best in a mature way.
- What to Wear to a Cinco de Mayo Celebration when over 50?
- Which Shoes Are Best to Wear with a Cinco de Mayo Outfit?
- Best Accessories for a Cinco de Mayo Party
- What Colors Do You Wear on Cinco de Mayo?
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
What to Wear to a Cinco de Mayo Celebration when over 50?
Traditionally, Cinco de Mayo celebrations have a playful party vibe. Therefore, go for a fun, festive outfit that is light, bright, versatile, and casual. Here are some Cinco de Mayo outfit ideas with pieces you may have in your closet:
- Ruffle off-the-shoulder dress or top.
- Bright, floral print flowing dress.
- Colorful dress with ruffles.
- Little Red Dress.
- Little White Dress accessorized with red and green.
- Maxi skirt with long-sleeved shirts ideally with red, green, and white trims or embroidery.
- High-low hem dress or skirt.
- White off-the-shoulder top with colorful tassels and a long flowy skirt.
- Tiered dress in a bright color.
- Breezy linen set.
- Embroidered tunic or blouse with dark wash jeans when you are a pants/jeans kind of gal.
Search your closet for something like these dresses
Stylist tip: When the party is a social dance, at a restaurant or sports bar wearing a dressed up version of the usual dress code is also an option.
Which Shoes Are Best to Wear with a Cinco de Mayo Outfit?
Go for open toe shoes, sandals or (embroidered espadrille wedges. Also any pair that looks similar to the traditional Mexican huarache.
Best Accessories for a Cinco de Mayo Party
- Flower hair clip.
- Flower necklace/girlande.
- Bright color ribbons.
- Wide brim hat.
- Tassel earrings.
- Filigree earrings.
What Colors Do You Wear on Cinco de Mayo?
Patriotic colors are red, white, and green or the colors of your Mexican home state.
Great colors to try for floral prints, embroidery, ribbons, flowers, tassels are magenta, yellow, blue.
What Not to Wear to a Cinco de Mayo Party?
- Formal wear.
- Heavy shoes.
- Sombrero or poncho when you are not of Mexican heritage.
- Cinco de Mayo themed T-shirts.
- High heels.
- Bald Eagle bolo tie or belt buckle.
- Anything that looks like a cheap costume that you could wear for a Halloween party.
© 2013-2022 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved