We were taught the rule like our mothers and their mothers, and their mothers, … . While there were cultural, economic, fashion and maintenance related reasons for not wearing white from early fall to the beginning of summer – maybe until the middle of the last century, today these reasons are no longer valid. This post shows you how to wear white after Labor Day and look fashion-forward.
- Why to Toss Old Fashion Rules to Not Look Old Lady
- How to Wear White after Labor Day
- Outfit Ideas How to Wear White in the Cold Season
- When Can You Wear White Pants in Winter
- How to Style White Trousers in Winter?
- What Winter Outerwear Goes with White Pants?
- How Not to Wear White after Labor Day
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
Why to Toss Old Fashion Rules to Not Look old Lady
The fashion rule to not wear white after Labor Day is so yesteryear or better yestercentury. It’s related to rich Americans wearing white in summer when they fled to their estates in the country-side to escape the muggy summer heat of the polluted cities on the East Coast around the end of the 18th century. Today we have air conditioning. Thanks to the clean air act in the 70s, air pollution has gone down. Furthermore, doing the laundry became easier thanks to the invention of the washing machines, driers and efficient laundry detergents. Today your can even dry clean at home. This means no reason anymore to follow that rule. Let’s move to today and …
How to Wear White after Labor Day
Here is a list of easy ways how to wear white after Labor Day using pieces from your closet that you already own.
- Work with classic color combinations like blue and white, or black and white. For instance, combine a white boyfriend jeans with a cotton plaid button-down shirt and a navy blue, gold button blazer for the commute on a chilly September day (without rain in the forecast as otherwise you would look unworldly because wet sideways cause spots). The blue patent leather pumps, embellished gold and blue belt, and the structured blue off-white black bag give this menswear inspired outfit a feminine vibe.
- White denim is perfect for winter when temperatures are so low that no splash occurs. In other words, under such weather conditions you can wear white in winter. So chic.
- On days with temperatures way below the freezing point style white BF jeans or cream wool pants with red, oyster, shell or brown booties or pumps.
- White ankle boots are trend right now. Thus, getting a pair is the easiest way how to don the color after the end of summer.
- The American Classic snow-white button-down shirt works year round when the temperatures permit wearing a shirt with a skirt or pants.
- Try different shades and hues of the color. A cream cashmere sweater or cardigan, leather jacket or a wool blazer.
- While you can wear leather in spring and summer, it’s typically considered a cold season material. Therefore, try a leather coat in milk shade for a posh fall and winter look.
- Try a statement wool coat in milk or cream.
- Look for a non-dyed Irish wool cable knit sweater.
- Wear fall or winter dresses or sweaters that don the color or don it as an accent.
- Go for a military inspired look with a T-shirt peeking out under a button-down shirt. Recall: Layering ups your style, and increases insulation for protection from the elements.
- What about accessories like a hat, beret, scarf, gloves in the color? It makes a stark contrast to the standard dark coat wardrobe.
- Go for a monochromatic look with a pop of color
- Try to wear white with winter-white.
- For a Casual Friday outfit, swap your blue denim for an undyed denim jacket. They both provide the same insulation unless your denim jacket is an iconic trucker jacket with teddy faux fur lining and collar. The lack of color makes a real statement.
- A blazer in powder creates a preppy style look.
- Try a snow leopard or zebra prints or a polka dot sweater or dress with long sleeves.
- Hounds tooth or herring bone are great weaves that traditionally feature the color after Labor Day.
- Try boot toppers with faux snow fox print on very cold days.
- Try a 3/4 sleeve length jersey dress like the Victoria Beckham inspired dress below. Add fall color accessories like the tan bag, belt and shoes.
Wearing white after Labor Day is a Do, and not a fashion faux pas. #styletip Click To Tweet
Don’t let the right outfit be a random thing. Learn How to Dress for Success in Midlife. Buy my book now.
When Can You Wear White Pants in Winter
In Alaska, the best time of the year to wear white pants is when the temperatures are way below freezing. At these temperatures, there is no risk to get spots from splash. Furthermore, there is no risk of an unexpected rain shower like on a hot summer day. Even though there is a long history of why Americans wear white in summer that even led to the (old-fashioned) style advice handed down for generations,Don't wear white before Memorial day and after Labor Day. #styleadvice Click To Tweet
for Alaska this style advice should be changed toDon't wear white before Labor Day and after Memorial Day. #Alaska #styleadvice Click To Tweet
How to Style White Trousers in Winter?
Dark shoes under white pants provide too stark contrast. Instead, tan or chocolate brown footwear are great options, especially, when these colors pick up a color of your outfit like the cable-knit sweater and coat in the example below.When wearing white jeans in winter go for light color with the shoes. Click To Tweet
Adding a pop of color is a good way to accessorize with scarves for style. This scarf picks up the white, tan, gold (yellow) and chocolate brown of the look. This means it ties the elements of the OOTD together. Its additional colors makes it the statement piece.
Another aspect that makes the look interesting is the eclectic style mix of clothing items from different countries. There is no item that is so American than jeans. The floral print wool scarves with fringe are famous for Russia worldwide. An Irish cable-knit sweaters is a classic ever since the Kennedy boys wore them. Read more about the history of the cable knit sweater.
What Winter Outerwear Goes with White Pants?
The booties and legs of trousers will show under every outerwear. Thus, you best go with a season appropriate coat or jacket that picks up the color and vibe of the footwear. An alternative is to go for a different color and add accessories (gloves, scarf, hat, bag) in the color of the shoes, best if one or two of the items have all the colors in common. For illustration see the examples below. Read more about how to style your outerwear.
Interested in more dressing tips? Then my style book “How to Dress for Success in Midlife” is perfect for you. Buy it now.
How Not to Wear White after Labor DayNever wear a white down-coat. It looks like you are a sleepwalker carrying your blanket like Linus van Pelt. #Whiteafterlaborday Click To Tweet
Are you registered for my Newsletter to let you know about new posts, how tos and special style subjects? I’d highly appreciate it if you take the time to sign up and ask your friends to sign up too!!
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2021 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved