Menswear is related to power
Ever since mankind developed clothes, those who had less power or wealth admired and desired the clothes of the upper class. Given that in former times, women did not have their own money their clothes depended on what their husbands/father approved to buy and/or bought for them. Once women got into the work force they started wearing men’s clothes for practical reasons, but also to show their new gained independence/power. Menswear was born.
Menswear is a risky trend to style effortlessly chic
Menswear can become costume fast when styling it like Carrie Bradshaw on Sex and the City. The same applies for the corset under a menswear suit. After a certain age, this Angelina Joli inspired evening outfit looks like trying to hard and/or plain ridiculous. Wearing non-tailored men’s suits with flat oxfords and a tie looks like not trying at all.
Secrets to ageless chic in menswear
To look ageless in menswear at any age stick to the following:
- No menswear all over.
- Female ascents are a must.
- Go for pants suits with classic lines with jackets that are nipped in at the waist. Better even, unmatch the suit.
- When wearing full-leg pants treat them like a long skirt and showcase your waist.
- When you wear boyfriend jeans go for a straight, not too tight leg and a relaxed style. Tuck in you top and/or wear it with a blazer for a chic polished look.
- Look for cargo pants that are cut slim enough that you still can showcase your waist.
- Shirts with French cuffs are a no failure menswear item that looks great with a skirt or jeans.
- Oxfords with heels or brogues in silver, gold or gem colors are chic menswear items for women over 40.
- Tuxedo-inspired jackets are great with jeans.
- A tuxedo suit is great for a black tie event when worn with a camisole, pearls and patent leather pumps.
Menswear pieces to try
Here is a list of menswear pieces you may want to try.
- Aviator bomber jacket
- Motorcycle jacket
- Boyfriend blazer
- Boyfriend jeans
- Tuxedo pants or jacket
- Trench coat, duffel or pea-coat
- Fedora, baseball cap
- Slim cargo pants
- Utility jacket
- Seesucker blazer or pants
- Desert boots
- Irish or plaid blazer
- Baseball jacket
- Buffalo plaid jacket
- Engineer or riding boots
- Aviator sunglasses
- Men’s white top tank or T-shirt as a layering piece
Great menswear outfit ideas for women in midlife
Here are some further inspirations how to style the menswear look.
Jones New York polka dot shirt layered under V-neck silk short sleeve sweater both tucked into the Ann Taylor leather pencil skirt worn with GNW tights and Harley Davidson booties (all own). The cat print tie pulls the outfit together Leather sheath with Orvis Irish blazer, layering top, tights, booties (all own), and boot toppers c/o Top of the Boot
Orvis menswear inspired Irish blazer over GNW Luxe sweater with Oscar de la Renete leopard print scarf, INC leather pants and Clarks booties (all own)
GNW Luxe cashmere sweater with Burberry menswear inspired plaid blazer, Clarks booties, statement necklace, and chocolate INC leather pants (all own) Menswear inspired J. Crew seersucker cropped pants, Carhartt gingham button-down shirt, Kieselstein Cord belt and buckle, Juicy Couture slides, Longchamp cuire pilage bag, and Ray Ban sunglasses (all own)
London Jean white denim boyfriend jeans with Oliveo plaid shirt, pumps and structured bag (all own)
Do you like menswear? How do you style your menswear items? What are your greatest concerns when styling your menswear items? Let me know, I am curious.
Subscribe to High Latitude Style to receive the newest tips and tricks to turn fashion into style right into your email box.
When you like the blog, you may also want to get my style recipe book How to Dress for Success in Midlife. Buy it now.
Photos: G. Kramm
Copyright 2013-2018 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved