- Jeans are a casual wardrobe essential
- No pants at school is over
- Stylist’s secrets of looking great in denim over 40
- Easy examples of great denim outfit ideas to try
- Denim skirt outfit idea
- Debatable looks
- Outfit inspirations with skirts and distressed bf
- What does not work
Jeans are a casual wardrobe essential
Today jeans are an essential of the everyday wardrobe for women of all age in the American West and Midwest like the Dirndl is an office appropriate summer dress for every women in the Munich area. Black jeans and a black blazer and top are a NYC standard uniform. Denim is a staple. This guide addresses how to wear denim over 40 in a sophisticated way for business style, Casual Friday, weekends and date night. It provides explanations and photo outfit ideas to illustrate how to style denim like a pro.
No pants at school is over
The baby-boomers remember the times when we were not allowed to wear pants at school, not to mention jeans. Getting my first pair of jeans was a big fight with my mother. And we all fought for wearing jeans and pants, right? Why should we give up on them now? We were the trendsetters back then. Now we set the bar how to wear jeans in ageless style.
Stylist’s secrets of looking great in denim over 40
- Great fit is key. Your bum should look great from the back – have a photo taken by the salesperson. With respect for the fit think Jane Birkin in the 70s for flared jeans, strive for a fit like Brook Shields in the Calvin Klein ads in the 80s, or Cindy Crawford in her straight cut in the 90s. The length should be 1/8 of an inch (3.3 mm) above the ground in the shoes you plan to wear with your jeans. Sit down and make sure the Y is not showing. Always go for a rise that is above the hipbone in the front. If you go for a rise above the navel, make sure to style it like Marilyn Monroe did. If you find a brand and cut that flatters you, stay with it until they change the cut.
- Buy the smaller size when on the fence between sizes
- Make the real life test. Sit down and look whether a gap shows up in the back or the top of your thongs shows like a diving whale’s tail. If any of these incidents happen, this jeans is not the right fit.
- When you are short-waisted you can go with lower raise just above the hip bone, while long-waisted women look better in mid-raise or high-waisted jeans.
- Stay out of mommy jeans land! Even straight jeans should fit tight thru the waist, hip and at the bum.
- Always go for a dark wash.
- Denim in bright colors or white look great too at any age.
- Tailored denim shirts look great even in a denim on denim
- When wearing denim on denim always go with distinct different shades and accessorize with classic items like pumps, heeled booties, or strappy sandals. Avoid to look like a cowgirl even when you go to a western-style Night Club.
- Jeans with a twinset or a T-shirt plus cardigan are great for Casual Friday if your dress code permits denim.
- Soft denim shirt-dresses without any frills are great for summer with sandals and a belt for the weekend and – if the dress code allows – with pumps or slingbacks for work.
- Depending on your body shape, the right-cut denim jacket is great worn over a summer dress as an alternative to a cardigan
Easy examples of great denim outfit ideas to try
Scarves are perfect to up the style factor of an outfit when you know how to style with scarves. The next inspiration features a rolled-up jeans, strappy sandals, a gray T-shirt, and sunglasses LOTD with a hand-painted silk scarf. The scarf is hand-made in Leipzig, Germany. The leopard painted on the fabric has a face like my cat Kasimir. The colors picked up by the colors of the sandals or vice versa. The bag is an exchange. My girlfriend had gotten this high-end bag from a great-aunt, However, she is more the “California Casual, I love my backpack” type of gal. I once got a nice leather backpack, but I never wore. It was not me at all. Thus, we just trade these bags. I really love this beige snake print bag. It is so me.
Here some further visual denim styling inspirations for stylish women over 40.
Example for denim on denim with a shirt dress and tailored jacket in different washes styled with a satchel, T-strap pumps, and belt for a Casual Friday office look in fall Tailored denim shirt in a medium wash with linen pants in jeans cut accessorized with a statement belt and slingback pumps and structured bag for a Casual Friday look Wearing a denim coat as a statement piece with boots and a structured bag Gingham shirt and floral patent leather pumps give a feminine vibe to white boyfriends Go for an all neutral color look with a striped T-shirt, denim jacket and matching linen pants Jeans and a leather biker coat are a classic combination. Switch it up with a leather skirt and a denim jacket Go for a casual look with a patched shirt and animal print skirt for the weekend Wear your jean jacket with a plaid skirt, boots and graphic Tee Dress over pants Coat
Tailored jacket worn with striped T-shirt, white leather skirt, saddle bag and plateau sandals for a Sunday brunch
Styling boyfriend jeans for a business casual look by adding a blazer, a striped button-down shirt, white pumps, pearls, and a structured bag
Fall weekend outfit with skinnies, a leather baseball jacket, booties and striped T-shirt
Two washes: To create interest add a statement belt. Add pumps for a feminine touch
Belt an oversize jacket for shape over a midi dress
Try sequins and denim with a lace skirt for a glam, casual look
Try a denim skirt with rainboots
Try colored jeans with a kacket and hat in fall
Add a faux collar to your jean jacket with a business casual work look
French inspired look with wide pants, beret and blue jacket
White or colored denim jacket
Denim skirt outfit idea
Many stylist tell you not to wear denim skirts. Their main argument is the stiffness of denim skirt. I agree that they may be stiff depending on the weight of the fabric, but I disagree that stiffness means a bad style/look. When you are straight up and the stiffness is not a problem. The following photos show a winter look that would work for Casual Friday.
Many stylists disagree about distressed jeans over 40 and denim skirts. Here they even disagree whether distressed jeans and/or denim skirts are a no-no to begin with, or just for a certain age.
General rules are
- Whether denim skirts look great or not on a women of any age depends on her style, her body shape, the skirt’s cut and how she styles it. A tailored cut straight along the tights, dark, above the knee denim skirt, for instance, looks great on me. It gives me some curves because the fabric is stiff! The cut fits my sleek style.
- If you go for distressed jeans, make sure it is obvious that you bought them that way, i.e. that they are not a leftover from your time back then in college. 😉
Outfit inspirations with skirt and distressed BF
Denim skirt worn with a “fake twinset” of a sweater and GNW cardigan, Kieselstein Cord belt and buckle and BP espadrilles for a Sunday brunch
Midwash ripped high-waist jeans with leggings underneath for winter
Styling distressed boyfriend jeans for a stroll at the mall or Casual Friday. The silk scarf, striped T-shirt, statement belt and pumps elevate the look and leave no doubt that the distress is on purpose, i.e. not caused by wear
Jeans and shirt with statement cardigan
When you liked the outfit ideas of this post, and want recipes for all kind of dressing situation in midlife, buy my book How to Dress for Success in Midlife.
What does not work
- Cut-offs. Sorry, but they are for high school girls during the summer break.
- Any baggy jeans with a rise above the navel
- Acid wash, dirty wash, overly light washes, paint or jeans with embellishments, overly distressed denim items, patchwork denim clothes
- Wedding cake-like cuts for denim skirts
- Denim jackets cropped so short that the kidneys are free and the breast is just covered
- Denim-on-denim with the same shade
- Mommy jeans
What is your opinion on denim skirts? What do you think about distressed jeans? Yay or Nay? What are your style challenges when it comes to wearing denim? Let me know so I can help you.
When you liked this post tweet your friends Great post on how to style denim over 40. #styleover40 Click To Tweet
Get the inspirations to dress your best in life right into your email box. Subscribe to the High Latitude Style Newsletter. You know yourself, when I can do it, you can do it too.
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2020 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved