Denim head-to-toe is a Do within the framework of the big monochromatic dressing trend. Read how to get the look right.
- Up-Dressing the Evergreens
- Try a Jean Shirt Dress and Jacket
- Jeans and Jean Jacket Outfit Ideas
- Wearing Jeans with a Blue Shirt
- Dare the Double-denim with a Skirt Shirt Combination
- Dress with Pants Is Still a Do
- Stylish Monday Denim Linkup
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
Up-Dressing the Evergreens
When cut in their original pattern jeans, bf, jean jackets, trucker jackets, skinny jeans, and blue shirt dresses are ageless – read timeless items. To keep a double denim look modern accessorizes with trendy items.
Here are various tricks what stylists use to create effortlessly stylish looks.
- Using the same texture of denim is best.
- Different washes or denim colors are easiest when creating the look. Think one of the pieces just was washed more often than the other. Denim-on-denim looks best with two different washes, but same texture. Click To Tweet
- Add a pop of bold color. It is best to use one of the fashion colors of the year to look modern. Note that colors similar to the year’s Pantome favorites work too. See how to fake the Pantome colors of the year with lookalikes.
- Pair two colored denim pieces or colored denim with jean.
- Pay attention to the horizontal lines and proportions.
- Tricky, but chic, same wash, but distinctively different texture of the fabric. For instance, Italian weave vs. the traditional Levis weave. More on styling with texture.
Try a Jean Dress and Jacket
The inspirational outfit below features a light wash, tailored denim jacket and shirt jean dress look. When styling a jean dress and jacket outfit, make sure the accessories match the posh casual vibe. In this example, adding the blue stone watch, plateau wedge sandals, tiger-eye gemstone belt, and striped bag do the trick. This outfit works because the tan of the belt repeats in the top handles and trim of the bag, and the sole and leather of the sandals. The watch and bag pick up different shades of blue. The different washes of the dress and tailered jacket underline the concept.
Stylist tip: Go either for a wide-belted dress under tailored jacket or for a tailored dress, for instance, a sheath, under an oversized or cropped jacket to get the proportions balanced.
The photo below features the same dress and jacket, but with different accessories. Nevertheless, it applies the concept of repetition of colors. See the tan satchel, T-strap heels, and belt.
Stylist tip: Shoes and scarves can change a look dramatically.
Jeans and Jean Jacket Outfit Ideas
Getting the proportions right is key also for this combination. Again go for slim with wide like slim fit thru the thigh with oversize and/or boxy jacket. Alternatively, try wide legs with a tailored jacket. It is important that the hem of the jacket hits at a flattering place for your body type. No matter what, the jacket should hit at least 2-4 inch lower than the waistband (see photo below).
Stylist tip: Never wear a cropped jean jacket with low rise jeans!
Wearing Jeans with a Blue Denim Shirt
To avoid a so-called Texas tuxedo look when wearing jeans and a jean shirt add pumps. Resist the urge to wear cowboy boots unless you head to a rodeo or Western Bar.
When you compare the outfit in the photo above with that below, three other important points becomes obvious. Namely that the color of the wash, degree of distress, cut and jacket affect the vibe. Despite both looks have the same shirt and pumps, the look with the distressed light wash BFs and cardigan reads relaxed posh casual. It has an urban vibe. On the contrary, the outfit with the blazer and dark straight jeans reads business casual style on Casual Friday. Read more on Casual Friday outfit ideas.
Dare the Double-denim with a Skirt Shirt Combination
For this combination the same principles as for the shirt-jeans pairing apply for best styling. Of course, the choice of the cut, wash, shoes and accessories can affect the vibe dramatically. Compare, for instance, the outfit with and without blazer.
Dress with Pants Is Still a Do
Currently, wearing dresses over pants in a huge trend. Therefore, why not styling the look with skinnies and a denim dress?
The look above features the trend with two different colors of the fabric. You can find a guide on styling the dress over pants trend at the link.
Stylish Monday Denim Linkup
Please share the link, bring your friends, and visit my friends ‘ blogs for more looks.
Details of featured image: Great Northwest shirt, Lauren Ralph Lauren midi skirt, Hipstik tights, Escada booties, Hermes collier de chien bangle, Nordgreen watch, Gucci belt
Photos of me: G. Kramm
© 2013-2022 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved