Scarves can serve as wardrobe horses
Never underestimate the style factor of scarves for your outfit. Like brooches and hats they can turn a good outfit to great style. Why scarves play such a powerful role for great style cannot be nailed down on one reason alone. It’s a combination of multiple reasons. In the following, I list the most important reasons for why you are missing out a great opportunity to look your best when you don’t use scarves to accessorize.Scarves can turn a good outfit to great style. #styleadvice Click To Tweet
- Scarves come in a variety of colors. They may add the perfect pop of color to an outfit or when printed tie the colors of an outfit together.
- They can be used as a signature style element and/or to express your personal style.
- In summer, thin cotton, silk or polyester scarves look great with a white T-shirt, jeans and sandals or pumps for the weekend, and Casual Friday (if jeans are allowed), respectively.
- In summer, a colorful neckerchief, button-down white or chambray shirt and dark jeans with strappy sandals provide instant evergreen weekend style.
- Neckwear of any kind can transfer a summer dress into an awesome fall look by placing it over a wide cleavage (to provide some insulation and not catch a cold), by tying the colors of the dress, fall sandals and tights together, or by adding some matching fall colors to the look.
- In fall and winter, knit scarves like infinity, long 4-5 inch wide (10-12.5 cm) 70s-style, oblong, buttoned scarf, and hood scarves add style to outerwear.
- The same applies for poncho, blanket and Russian shawls.
- Poncho-, cape- and blanket-style types can be used in a stylish way to add extra insulation around the neck and shoulders when the polar vortex brings painfully cold air into town.
- Poncho-, blanket-, cape-like and Russian pieces allow wearing a light fall coat longer into early winter before switching to heavier wool coats.
- Qiviut (the under-wool of muskoxen), silk and wool wraps provide great insulation.
- Heavy silk or light wool shawls add interest and increase the winter office outfit options with crew-neck sweater, blouses or shirts.
- They can be worn instead of a turtleneck sweater.
- A light-weight Russian shawl ups a simple jeans, sweater and booties weekend winter outfit.
- In spring, you can wear your new summer dress already by just adding a scarf in a light color or spring inspired print. You get the best look when the dress and piece have a similar style and colors.
- You can vary the look of you outfit by applying different tying technique.
- You can stay out of winter outerwear wardrobe boredom by styling your outerwear in various ways with poncho, blanket or large Russian wraps around the shoulder over a wool or shearling winter coat and belted for shape.
- Scarves can do double duty as head covers.
- They can be used instead of a belt.
- Most infinity wraps cover the neck with the first, and the head like a hood with the second loop.
- You can fold a square thin silk or cotton piece into a stylish summer bag.
- A neckerchief can be worn as a bracelet.
Are you interested in more style tips to look your best? Buy How to Dress for Success in Midlife.
Become an insider. Get a subscription to High Latitude Style.
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2019 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved