Rain can drown your mood. Probably everyone has made this experience. This post encourages to wear color, a fun umbrella or interesting look and provides other tricks to improve your mood on rainy days.
- Why We Are Moody in April Rains
- List of Easy Tricks to Improve Your Mood on Rainy Days
- Applied Example: Rainy Summer Day Outerwear
- Having Fun with Neutral Outfits and a Pop of Color
- Shoes Can Make or Break an Outfit
- Cute Rainy Day Outfit Ideas to Try
- Conclusions on Tricks to Improve Your Mood on Rainy Days
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post. I am not a medical doctor. Therefore, the tips do not substitute seeking professional medical help in any way.
Why We Are Moody in April Rains
Who hasn’t heard the saying
April showers bring May flowers
which is very true from a vegetation point of view? However, another truth is that on rainy days, everything seems dull, gray and chilly, no matter what time of the year. Everyone seems to be moody. Especially, in spring, if you had not been on a winter vacation somewhere sunny, your vitamin D level is probably low. You, like many other people, have a carving for color and Sun at that time a year. When there is still snow on the ground and it rains, things become really nasty. Slippery sidewalks are not fun at all. Nevertheless, motivate yourself to dress your best everyday.
List of easy tricks to improve your mood on rainy days
Here is a listicle of tips to look stylish on rainy days and shear up the mood. Some of the tips are illustrated in detail by means of the example outfits.
- Being prepared is key. When rain is in the forecast have a folding umbrella and/or a folding raincoat in your tote/work bag for potential protection. Also avoid wearing shoes with leather soles. These soles soak the water from the sidewalk and street. The sole takes hours to dry and you will have wet shoes, cold feet and feel uncomfortable all day. More on how to avoid cold feet at frigid temperatures at the link.
- On a rainy day, add a pop of color to your outfit. The raincoat, rain boots, bag or umbrella are great points to start to add a pop of color to an (otherwise neutral) outfit. When you live in a climate with lots of rain (e.g. Pacific Northwest, West Europe, Great Britain, Norway, anywhere in the Tropics) you may even think about getting an umbrella collection. You can find more on dressing fashionable for the Pacific Northwest at the link.
- Wear a bold color dress or top at the office like in the next outfit photos.
- Reduce your risk of catching a cold and/or feeling uncomfortable. Wear a raincoat or jacket even when you have an umbrella. It is important to stay dry when it drizzles, or when it is windy. Wind pushes the rain drops off their path into a path that is at an angle to the Earth’s surface. This means even though you carry an umbrella your lower body parts may get wet without a long rain coat. In the case of drizzle, you walk faster than the drizzle falls. This means you scavenge drizzle out as you move forward. A clear umbrella may be great on these foggy days, as you may hold it as a shield to at least protect your face and hair from getting wet. Who likes to arrive at work ready for a new blowout and makeup?
- Wear fabrics that are easy to clean as splashes may occur. Dark jeans are fine as the spots are less visible than on light pants. When it is already warm enough and your work dress code permits bare legs, go for it even when they are still untanned. You can easily towel them dry once you arrived at work, while pantyhose would have spots and take some time to dry. It looks more stylish to have light skin than wearing dirty pantyhose. 😉 Alternatively try black sheer pantyhose. I like those from Hipstik.
- Avoid wearing fabrics that start smelling when they get humid. You don’t want to smell like a wet sheep or dog.
- Match your umbrella with your outfit.
- Have a pair of pumps in your work tote/bag as rubber boots are heavy and may lead to sweating. It is already wet outside and you wore the rain boots to stay dry. You don’t want to get them wet inside. The sweat water would lead to cold feet once you are back outside.
Applied Example: Rainy Summer Day Outerwear
The different shades of taupe make this outerwear a monochromatic look. It works due to the different textures of the individual pieces. The turquoise and chartreuse stripes of the skirt add a pop of color to a rainy day.
Having fun with neutral outfits and a pop of color
How can you up your and other people’s mood on a rainy spring day? By dressing stylishly with color. When everything is gray, the human eye and mind is desperate to see something else. When someone’s eye finds what it searched for, there will be the spark of success, a smile, you made someone’s day. This person’s reaction on your outfit will also up your mood. The example above adds several colors to an all neutrals style work outfit by means of the scarf, accessories and pumps.
The outfit example below has the “colorless” cleanness of just white, gray, and black. This combination – like black and white – is a statement all by itself. Adding a yellow raincoat as outerwear helps to up the mood.
Shoes can make or break an outfit
One can never underestimate what shoes can do for an outfit.
Shoes can make or break the look. #shoelove #styleadvice Click To Tweet
However, the puddles and purring rain ask for rubber boots, but they break the look of your office outfit. Furthermore, you would sweat in your rubber boots at the office during the day.
My solution to this rainy weather style problem is a pair of rubber boots plus a large work bag. I put my shoes in a fabric shoe bag and carry them back and forth to the office. Thus, at least indoors, your look has the right shoes.Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world. - Marilyn Monroe #quote Click To Tweet
Regarding your rubber boots you can find a pair that matches your style. See this review of a fun casual pair of rain boots. Xtra-tuff are great for Alaska Street Style. A classic woman may like a pair with a small heel. Wellingtons are a Must-have when you have Bohemian style.
Don’t let the right outfit be a random thing. Learn How to Dress for Success in Midlife. Buy the book now.
Cute Rainy Day Outfit Ideas to Try
Below you find several outfit ideas that follow the above tips’ concepts. When you need an extra boost of motivation to dress on those rainy day check the tips at the link.
Burberry Brit trench coat with Express shirt dress, Madonna True or Dare floral pumps, Jaeger tote and black pearl necklace, Dolce & Gabbana Madonna sunglasses
Bebe motorcycle leather jacket with Karl Jäger button front dress, Carhartt gingham shirt, Anne Klein T-strap sling backs, American Meteorological Society umbrella and LV bucket bag (all own)
Ray Ban Jackie O. sunglasses, Hermes Medor watch, Hermes collier de chien bangle, Brooks Brother mock turtleneck sweater, Kieselstein Cord belt and buckle, pearls, cropped pants, and Madonna True or Dare floral pumps, Burberry trench coat and Kate Moss for Longchamp satchel Burberry trench coat, Celine bag, pantyhose, Clovington Mary-Janes, G-III suede skirt, Ray Ban sunglasses (all own)
Burberry leather coat, GNW tights, Steve Madden sandals, American Meteorological Society umbrella (all own)
Burberry Brit trench coat, GNW cardigan, polka dot scarf, L.K. Bennett pumps, Esprit shoulder bag, Paloma Picasso sunglasses (all own) and colorful striped skirt c/o eShakti
Burberry Brit raincoat, GNW cardigan worn as top, Ralph Lauren skirt, L.K. Bennett pumps, and yellow Longchamp bag for a pop of color (all own)
James & Graham biker jacket, Oscar de la Renta scarf, Loft sweater, Oliveo Italian style jeans, Nicole plateau high heel sandals, red color Celine shopper (all own) and Vienna Scala hat c/o Tenth Street
Conclusions on Tricks to Improve Your Mood on Rainy Days
Learn how to style your outerwear also on days when it rains cats and dogs. Consider your rain gear as a Must-have outfit. Invest in chic or fun rubber boots in a fashion color of your palette. A long raincoat in a statement color is a great option. Get an umbrella that goes with your raincoat and rubber boots. Make it fun to add a pop of color for a cute rain look. Shop your own closet for new outfits.
Does weather affect your mood? What do you do about it? Have you ever thought about starting an umbrella collection?
Don’t forget to hit subscribe to receive the bi-weekly free High Latitude Style newsletter with a summary of all new posts and more about Fashion, Life and Science at the Last Frontier.
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2021 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved