Dress code Beach Wedding
Being invited to a beach wedding dress wise is the most desirable (even if you live far from a beach) as you can wear the purchases again and again on your next vacation and on weekends.
Take these five points in mind when shopping for your outfit.
- When creating your beach-wedding outfit, resist to go for anything flower-power. The hippy look had had its time, and it was great back then, but it well passed its prime. Today, this look just looks Old Lady and ridiculous on any woman over 40. We don’t want to relive our youth again! We love who we are now! Thus, go for a modern just-right-now look.
- Go for a maxi or high-low hem dress that still allows you to wear a bra and shapewear. Even when you never wear that dress again with a bra and shapewear, at the wedding you should. Tons of photos will be taken and you want your girls sit in the right place.
- When choosing your dress, be aware that there is always some wind at the beach. A wide skirt might look like you set the sails. Not to mention that it is hard to walk under such conditions.
- Pick accessories that match the vibe of the dress. Make sure to have one trend item. More is over-kill and to be avoided as it would be the source for laughter for years to come at family reunions. A straw clutch is a nice option for dresses with a floral or ethnic print. A small cross-body bag looks great on a striped dress.
- Beach weddings require a pair of comfy thongs, flat mules or strappy sandals with either embellishment, semi-precious stones, Swarovski crystals, or a metallic tone. Since they can be incorporated in your weekend and vacation wardrobe, you can invest some money. They are not the sky-high heels of a formal wedding that you will never wear again! Make sure you wear the thongs, mules or sandals prior to the wedding a couple of times. Open blisters on a salty beach hurt!
Beach wedding guest outfit inspiration
Here are some suggestions for outfits and my picks of dresses when attending a nuptial at the shore.
Chico floral maxi dress, Hermes collier de chien belt, statement necklace, Ray Ban sunglasses, metal bag, collier de chien bracelt, Ray Ban sunglasses, straw hat, and Juicy Couture patent leather mules (all own)
Layered maxi dress with floral print scarf, golden thong sandals and DIY necklace
eShakti maxi dress for beach espousal. Pair it with a coral or white beads necklace with a big pendant, a straw clutch and metallic flat sandals
This eShakti shirt dress covers the arms when you need coverage there. It can be shortened to a work dress later. Black-and-white never goes out of style and a shirt dress is a classic. Swap the fabric belt with a fancy gold one for the wedding
Royal blue beach gown. This gown looks very elegant, but requires a convertible bra. Add gold colored jewelry, clutch and gladiator sandals for a perfect beach wedding look
High-low hem floral print dress with beading and sequins and build-in slip to avoid see-thru. Pair is with metallic leopard print flat sandals and a lavender leather or fabric clutch for a beach wedding
When you liked the outfit recipes of this post, and want recipes for all kind of dressing situation in midlife, buy my book How to Dress for Success in Midlife.
Are you invited to a beach wedding or wedding in general? What will you wear? When you are invited to another kind of marriage party you may also like to read what to wear to an afternoon wedding or how to dress for a civil wedding.
Spring is still in stealth mode here in Alaska. However, the heavy coats can make their way to the dry cleaner. I am wearing leather pants with a layering top and a motorcycle jacket. A perfect outfit for Casual Friday.
What are you wearing lately on days where spring seems to be failing to be spring? Link up your OOTD tomorrow on Top of the World Style.
Curious, what Alaskan women may wear at their outdoor wedding at the Last Frontier? Warning, Alaskan outdoor weddings upset tourists. Find out why.
Do you want more tips on what to wear when? Then my book How to Dress for Success in Midlife will be perfect for you. Buy your copy now.
Get the inspiration, support, motivation, and tips to look to your best in life. Get a subscription to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it you can do it too.
Photos: G. Kramm
Disclosure: This post has affiliate links.
© 2013-2019 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved