Casual afternoon wedding are a common among students. This type of events are typically in the club house and/or on the grass of a ball-sports club, in the picnic area of a park, etc. Consequently, the typical dress-code of what to wear to an afternoon wedding fails to meet the bill. Read what to wear at a casual afternoon wedding reception as a woman in midlife.
- What to Wear to a Casual Afternoon Wedding Reception
- What Shoes to Wear at a Casual Wedding Reception?
- More On Wedding Guest Outfits
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
What to Wear to a Casual Afternoon Wedding Reception
Think casual, but dressy. Here some budget-friendly outfit ideas for a casual wedding reception.
- A not too fancy party dress can fit the bill. Many of the young ladies might wear them and show probably a lot of skin. Ever Pretty has affordable, sophisticated party dress also for mature women. Browse their collection now.
- Alternatively, search your closet for a festive business casual dress.
- Dress up a casual maxi- or tea-length dress (see photo below).
- A light-weight wool pantsuit with a graphic Tee and sneakers works at an outside reception on a sports field.
- Of course, the LBD comes into mind. However, wearing black to a wedding is always risky. It can – depending on the couple’s cultural background – be a big fashion faux-pas in Europe.
- A celebrity inspired dress is also a good choice. It reads “expensive” as people remember having seen Jennifer Aniston, or whomever wearing a similar dress. Recall Victoria Beckham and Kate Middleton in their China-painting inspired blue-and-white dresses?
- Dress up a floral, non-cotton print dress with a matching short-sleeve cardigan. The look should read casual, feminine preppy style.
- Wear your homecoming dress with a cardigan and sneakers.
What Shoes to Wear at a Casual Wedding Reception?
When the afternoon wedding reception is in a yard, park or on a lawn, go for flats or wedges. In a club house, strappy sandals or even pumps look nice. Avoid over-bling like patent leather, sequin-embelished, or anything shiny.
Make sure the style of the shoes works with the vibe of your look. Alternatively, try an off-combination that is a recent trend like, for instance, wearing sneakers with a skirt or dress.
More On Wedding Guest Outfits
- styling ideas for an afternoon wedding,
- what to wear to a beach wedding,
- how to dress for a civil wedding
- Best Look to Wear as Winter Wedding Guest
- Dos and Don’ts of What to Wear to a Formal Wedding
- What Is Behind the Trend of Black Wedding Dresses?
Curious, what I wore at my wedding?
Photos of me: G. Kramm
© 2013-2023 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved