- Grilling requires easy-to-clean clothes
- What to consider when putting together your BBQ outfit
- Outfit ideas for grilling in your yard with your family
- Visual BBQ outfit inspirations
- Wrapping up
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
Grilling requires easy-to-clean clothes
Even though, the long Memorial Day weekend is the official start of summer and the BBQ season, many dedicated BBQers start the season early. Who can blame them? You want to try out new recipes in a family setting first. For women following the Fashion Rules, it is the official start of wearing white. White and BBQ seem not to be a good idea. Spill alert! Nobody can afford or wants to ruin their best clothes! However, even when it’s just your family having grilled food on a May evening, you want to be dressed appropriately. Thus, this post provides some inspirations to feel great about yourself and your look, but without risking to spill clothes that are hard to clean. Thus, a spot wouldn’t ruin the entire evening.
When you need outfit ideas for dressing for a BBQ invitation you may also read the post at the link.
What to consider when putting together your BBQ outfit
When grilling and trying new recipes, all kinds of spills may happen. Just think splashes of fat from the grill, ketchup spots or spilling red wine. Tip: Dip the red wine spot dry and add salt on top to mitigate the stain. Food and drink mishaps just happen, if kids are present and/or the setting is relaxed; or you try out new recipes.
Wear an apron. When you don’t mind, coated ones are best. However, you may sweat underneath. Go for clothes in fabrics that you can wash. Thus, forget about white unless you can wash it hot and bleach it. Be aware that bleaching yellows the clothes. Cotton clothes are best. Typically, you can wash them at higher temperatures, and you can dye these wardrobe favorites to look wow-worthy again, if needed.
Always apply sun screen, a hat and sunglasses when it is sunny outside. When you do the grilling, you may consider wearing slightly tinted sunnies even when the sky is not clear or the Sun is not very bright. The glasses avoid fat going into your eyes.
Outfit ideas for grilling in your yard with your family
Here are some outfit suggestions for your private family BBQs:
- Linen drawstring pants, denim and khaki long pants or shorts with a cute T-shirt with a straw fedora or baseball cap. Old school fabric sneakers like Keds, Converse or Vans, and ballet flats, moccasins, driving shoes, flat sandals as well as gladiators are great matches, especially, when your grill is on a lawn or in a park.
- A cotton midi dress is a dressy light weight option. It looks awesome with a floppy hat, flat gladiators, espadrilles, ballet flats, embellished flip-flops, clogs, embellished sandals or thongs. Metallic, and tan are great colors for the footwear.
- BBQing in the evening ask for a cover-up once the sun sets and radiative cooling starts. The above suggested outfits look great with a cardigan, utility or denim jacket. A stole is a great stylish option too.
- Double denim with a denim skirt and shirt in different colors, old school sneakers, Birkenstocks or Greek sandals, a statement necklace, headband and a worn leather belt are a nice California Casual option for a BBQ at a garden party. Add a leather baseball hat like Rihanna when you are not a fan of the headscarf look.
- What about a denim dress with sneakers and a short pendant necklace? The look works with both a baseball cap and a straw hat.
- Try a pair of jeans with a graphic T-shirt, medium length earrings, aviator sunglasses, a pendant gold or silver necklace and a pair of good flat strappy sandals or sneakers.
- What about a trendy altheisure outfit in cotton with sneakers? Avoid leggings and tops made from synthetics. They burn easily. And little hot particles often occur when you use charcoal.
Visual BBQ outfit inspirations
Here are further BBQ outfit suggestions. Enjoy your stay-at-home BBQ and stay in style.
Gucci bamboo suede belt, Festina watch, Hermes collier de chien bangle, Kate Spade basket shoulder bag with top handle, AMS neckerchief, Esprit neckerchief, Dr. Scholl wedge sandals, Rafaella striped cotton knit dress (all own) and wooden sunglasses c/o Winkwood Hermes collier de chien bangle, Very Fine sandals, leave earrings (all own), layering shirt c/o Halftee and jumper courtesy to Fashom
Ariana wedge slides c/o Vionic Shoes worn the Italian way with own BCBG leather capri, Liz Claiborne silk knit sweater, Moda International cardigan, Festina watch, Hermes collier de chien bangle, and Burberry bag
Pineapple Moon Hawaiian print blouse with BCBG capri, Hermes collier de chien bangles, Celine tote (all own) and mules c/o Vionic
Leopard print cotton leggings c/o No nonsense with own printed T-shirt, Great Northwest denim jacket, and Keds polka dot print sneakers make for a cute going-to-the-gym outfit
Madden thongs, Hermes collier de chien bangle, gemstone cuff, straw hat (brand unknown) earrings (all own) and maxi dress
Tweet your friends about these stay-at-home BBQ outfit tips. See these outfit inspirations for you family BBQ. #stayathome #BBQ Click To Tweet
This post provides outfit ideas for private grill feast in a small family circle. To feel good about yourself, dress-up. However, do it with caution. To keep the family peace in case a spillage happens, go for clothes that are low maintenance with respect to care. You don’t have to impress, but just want to look great for yourself. It’s about testing new recipes and having a relaxing family time, right? You are not dressing for a dinner at your friends or colleagues house.
Did you know that my style book How to Dress for Success in Midlife. has styling recipes like in this post for all kind of dressing situations? Buy the book now.
Have you already started the grilling season? What is your favorite outfit when you barbecue?
Get the inspiration, support, motivation, and tips to look to your best in life. Get a subscription to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it you can do it too.
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2020 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved