- What gives an outfit its Je ne sais quoi?
- What’s the difference between effortlessly chic and personal style?
- What are the secrets to to great personal style?
- How to get help to create your signature style online
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post. You don’t pay more when you purchase a product through my links. These links just make it easier for you to find something, and I get a few cents when you purchase it. I so appreciate your support of High Latitude Style. Thank you!
What gives an outfit its Je ne sais quoi?
It is hard to define, as it is an ensemble of things, plus one odd, weird out of place twist. And of course, there is not just one recipe to great style. There are many ways to dress for success. Here are 71 tips to get started including tips for additional help. Of course, not every outfit has all these elements, but all great looks have a combination of them. And the one that you have to always follow isTake care of yourself to look your best no matter what you wear. #agelessstyle Click To Tweet
In other words, the most expensive and/or most beautiful clothes accessories, bag and shoes won’t give you a great look when you are not groomed. Groomed includes that your shoes are brushed, your clothes fit and are clean, your hair, fingernails and skin look neat.
What’s the difference between effortlessly chic and personal style?
There is a big difference between the secrets to look effortlessly chic and the secrets of great personal style. Just think about models on and off duty, for instance, Karlie Kloss, Kate Moss or Claudia Schiffer. Or what about the First Ladies prior and when being FLOTUS and thereafter, for isntance, Jackie Kennedy, Michelle Obama, or Melania Trump? She looked effortlessly chic as First Lady, but later as Jackie O. she donned great personal style. You get the idea.
What are the secrets to to great personal style?
Below see 71 of my many secrets how a woman can achieve great personal style. Note that these area the easiest ones to work on. Despite some of them may already need help by a stylist. There is nothing wrong to seek this help. For instance, many women struggle with interpretation of their own inspirational boards which serves to get your personal style in sync with your lifestyle and likes.
- Have an inspiration board. This “board” can be an actual board in your closet or a folder on your digital device. Add things you like and visit the board for inspiration. Analyze what the non-outfit items tell you about your style preferences.
- Create a lookbook to have outfits ready that work when you are in a hurry in the morning. Best is to have one for each month. See for example my lookbooks for January to December.
- Dress for the life you live, not the life you dream of. #agelessstyle Click To Tweet
- Layer strategically, e.g., a coat over a scarf, an oversize scarf belted over a coat.
- Accessorize in different ways with scarves for style . For a how-to see the post at the link.
- Add at least one unexpected or surprising accessory, e.g., killer heels, cool watch, bold bag, statement necklace.
- Buy only items that you can't wait to wear. #personalstyle Click To Tweet
- Never buy an item just because it is a high-end brand and/or on sale. If it is not your style or doesn’t fit, it will just take up real estate in your closet. In other words, these will be some of the pieces in your closet you will never wear. Learn more in the post at the link.
- Know your body shape and choose your clothes accordingly. If you don’t know your body’s horizontal and vertical shape characteristics or are not quite sure about them (especially when your body is changing during menopause), take this body shape type detector quiz.
- Always buy for the body you have, not the body you want to have in half a year from now after loosing weight. #budgettip #styletip Click To Tweet
- Before you buy an item, think of at least three outfits that you can create with the potential item with what you have already in your closet.
- Know what works for you and stick to it. #personal style Click To Tweet Don’t know your primary style? Find it out with this free personal style finder app.
- Know which colors flatter you, and stick to them when buying clothes.
- Learn how to make great color combinations. For instance, look to Phantome color palettes, great paintings, celebrities, etc. for inspiration of great color combinations in you best colors. You can exercise your color coordination with my Fashion Color Pages e-book.
- Embrace to wear color to be visible.
- Don’t wear a color just because it is the Pantone color of the year. Substitute It colors with look-alikes from your best colors.
- Focus every outfit around one key item.
- Don’t wear too many trends at once. Too many trends in one outfit are the road to look like a fashion victim.
- Be selective on which trends you adopt in a season. Ask yourself whether the trend will look plain ridiculous in a decade from now. If you would be embarrassed, skip the trend. Recall facebook sometimes shows photos from years ago!
- Aim for a natural makeup look like the Duchess of Sussex.
- Pay attention to grooming: Nails, hair, roots, facial hair, armpits, legs, eyebrows, skin, makeup, … .
- When you are constantly unhappy with how you look, no matter what you wear, get professional help for a style makeover. Email me for inquiry of availability.
- Never buy complete outfits. They may work only that way. Not to mention that they are not persoanl, i.e. not so you at all.
- Be unpredictable, never wear the same outfit twice. #styleicon Click To Tweet
- Show skin strategically. #advancedstyle Click To Tweet
- Go for functional cuts and designs that don’t add awkward bumps and bulks.
- Wear skirts slightly above the knee when you have great legs, around the knees otherwise.
- Know where your hems should end, i.e. no cap sleeves for heavy arms or arms with bingo wings, no midi skirt hem for big tighs or wide hips with thin tighs. No capris or boots ending at the widest part of your calves. One of my favorite stores for great pieces to cover-up my mid-life body flaws is Covered Perfectly. See the archive for my reviews of their pieces.
- Use colors strategically to flaunt a waist, downplay big boobs, or wide hips.
- Invest in cashmere turtlenecks, shirt dresses, pea-, car- or trench coat for ageless style. This means buy the best quality you can afford.
- Know the 45 undeniable truths of wearing pants.
- Have a crisp tailored white button-down shirt and replace it each year.
- Finish every outfit with a great pair of shoes.
- Make sure your shoes are polished and have intact heels.
- Think of your outerwear as an outfit as well and style it accordingly.
- Go for fit, not for the smaller size tag. #styleadvice Click To Tweet
- Have a great tailor on speed dial.
- Befriend with a sales person to know when new merchandise comes in that you may like or when they will have sales.
- Know what to wear at which dressing occasion. If you need help with this – admittedly difficult point, you can find help in my book How to Dress for Success in Midlife that provides outfit recipes and photo inspirations for all kind of dressing situations in modern midlife. Buy the book now.
- Avoid over-bling with jewelry. There is no need to compete with the Christmas tree.
- Mix silver and gold in one outfit. So chic.
- Mix expansive with cheap items. #styletip Click To Tweet
- Never wear one designer head-to-toe. #agelessstyle Click To Tweet
- Forget the old-fashioned rules: Wear black with brown, navy with black, so chic.
- Wear white in winter and black in summer. So chic.
- Add a pop of color to an all neutral outfit with a scarf, necklace, watch, belt or the shoes.
- Stay away from neon colors for clothes.
- Don’t be a Copy Cat. It is great practice to adopt outfit and styling ideas, but wear it your way, not one to one. Every copy machine can do that better. An outfit that looks great on your friend, may be so wrong for you for various reasons: It is not so you, you have a different body shape, skin undertone, lifestyle, character, etc. Only adopt what works for you and add your own twist. In other words, take great looks as inspirations and re-do them with your own clothes. Think of a great look as a recipe for great style and re-make it with your own clothes and accessories. Remember to Be yourself, all others are already taken! #personalstyle #selfconfidence Click To Tweet
- Have the right attitude.
- Tie your shirt, cardigan, denim jacket around your waist or neck.
- Try an arm party.
- Roll up your sleeves, or boyfriend jeans.
- Try a half tuck.
- Untuck your shirt when you are short waisted. See the post at the link for more tips on what to wear when you are short-waisted.
- Go for vertical lines to look slim and tall.
- Master the proportions: Try long-over-short, or short-over-long.
- Go for unexpected combinations like leather pants with a crisp white shirt, blazer and pumps, or an embroidered dress with a leather jacket like shown in this post.
- Think of your wardrobe as a collection. Curate your clothes, accessories, bags and shoes. This means you have to update your wardrobe for fit, trends and style on a regular basis.
- Get a signature piece that you wear everyday. In my case, it’s the Hermes collier de chien bangle, a gift from my husband.
- Learn how to mix prints and patterns.
- Go for a monochromatic look to look lean and tall. See this post for a how to create an interesting monochromatic look.
- Learn how to turn fashion into style. #turningfashionintostyle Click To Tweet
- Get more wear out of your wardrobe by wearing pieces beyond their original purpose.
- Be up-to-date on the current trends to not look Old Lady or yesterdecade.
- When shopping for clothes have someone take photos of you wearing the piece. Only this way you know how the piece looks from other sides. Selfies won’t work as you have to twist or raise your arms to make them. See this post for more clothes shopping tips.
- Commit to Dress for Success. This means only wear clothes you feel confident in and that make you feel great about how you look.
- Always buy the highest quality you can afford.
- Be aware that expensive doesn’t equal style. Recall how great the Duchess of Cambridge looks in a French Connection dress or in this cheap blue and white dress that I found at Shein (see photo below).
- Never buy a statement piece, when you need a workhorse.
- Have some fool proof style recipes you can go-to when you are uninspired or in a hurry.
- Borrow from the guys: Oversize blazer, oversize cardigan/grandpa cardigan, boyfriend jeans, brogues, oxfords, tie, fedora, etc.
If you liked any of these tips, it would help me if you share the post on your social media. It’s a great way that your friends, family, and others can read them too. Thanks 🙂 .
How to get help to create your signature style online
You want the fast track to great style? Then start with my outfit recipes for all kind of dressing situation in midlife. Buy my book.
For more free information, inquiry of costs, timeline of an online style makeover, and availability (I only work with one client at a time) fill out the form at the link.
Get the inspiration, support, motivation, and tips to look to your best in life. Subscribe to the High Latitude Style newsletter for extra-tips. The newsletter is published every 1-2 weeks. Deep inside you know, when I can do it you can do it too.
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2020 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved