As you know I love to hear from you about your fashion and style challenges by email. Last weekend, I received an email from a reader asking me about the worst beauty mistakes in fashion over 40. Immediately, a couple of common mistakes popped up in my mind. However, I won’t want to rank them in their harm for our look. Any of them can make us look a couple of years to a decade older than we actually are.
Aging is not the problem
The problem is not the age, we all want to live long. Consequently, we are all fine with looking a couple of years older in a couple of years or a decade older in a decade, two decades older in two decades, you get the idea. 😉 And, aging is not a crime.
It’s a mistake not to look your best at any age
The actual problem of any beauty, style and fashion mistakes is to not to look our best at any age. While I was answering the email, the list of mistakes and tips to avoid them got longer and longer. Since this reader’s question is of general interest to all women interested in beauty and fashion over 40, I thought you would appreciate my sharing it with you.
- Gray hair that obviously is just growing by nature.
- Too dark dyed hair. It emphasizes fine lines and wrinkles.
- A solid block of hair color.
- Visible gray roots. Use root touch-up or a similar product or root spray between saloon visits.
- Gray hair that looks like it was oiled with butter.
- Dyed hair that looks brassy.
- Patchy gray hair.
- Hair color in any unnatural color unless you made a life around a statement bright/bold color, i.e. it is your personal style.
- Too short bangs – short bangs are for kids.
- Bangs that look like being trimmed by a non-professional.
- Long hair parted in the middle. It looks like a leftover from the late 60s, early 70s, and hence plain irony on any baby-boomer.
- Long, thin hair or long hair with uneven or split ends.
- Grown out perm.
- Any perm that looks similar to the hair style on British coins.
- Too much hair spray or gel.
- A matronly or old-fashioned up-do.
- Wearing the same haircut since more than two decades.
- Eyebrows several shades darker than your blond (dyed) hair.
- Dark (read black or expresso) eyebrows with white or gray hairs.
- Too thin or over-tweezed eyebrows.
- A uni-brow. It didn’t even look good on Leonid Ilyich Brezhnev. 😉
- A full strip of false lashes. keep people guessing. Go for single clusters of lashes placed strategically instead.
- A mustache or other facial hair in odd places. Shave or wax them or do whatever to get rid of them. A female mustache is never in style.
- Too dark eyeliner. Instead, go for barely there.
- Too thick eyeliner. Thin is always better than thick eyeliner.
- Eyeliner in odd/weird colors. It didn’t even look chic in high school. So where is the point to repeat it?
- A full circle of eyeliner. So yesterday or better yesterdecade! We have already dark undereye circles and a racoon looks better with them than we do.
- Lining the inner lids. So 70s!
- Any retro style on eye makeup. It’s just plain ironic when you have been around for a while.
- Glittery or too matte eye shadow.
- Crayon shades of colors as eye shadow.
- Obvious, eye shadow, especially in green, blue, purple. It looks like you are a victim of domestic violence. You won’t want do that to your significant other.
- Clumpy mascara. So middle school gal.
- Mascara in any unnatural color or a color that is too dark. So high school!
- Overly matte lipstick. Go for a dewy look instead.
- Too dark lipstick.
- Lipstick bleeding into fine lines.
- Lipstick on your teeth. Check in a mirror after any re-application of lipstick.
- Yellow or gray teeth.
- Stained teeth.
- Too white teeth or veneers.
- Teeth (dental veneers) that go straight across. It looks fake at any age.
- Chipped teeth.
- Silver fillings. How long ago is it that they stopped doing them? Twenty years? Thirty years? I can’t even remember!
- Receding gums.
- Skipping exfoliation.
- Too few or too much makeup.
- Not using a primer. The primer creates a smooth surface so the foundation and makup can be applied evenly.
- Foundation that is too thick, cakey and/or overly matte. Instead, go for a dewy look.
- A foundation demarcation line between your chin and neck. So middle school first makeup trials!
- A makeup that doesn’t match your skin tone. Not even in Alaska!
- Using powder blush or foundation. It settles in the lines and makes you look just old.
- Looking too tanned.
- Not looking tanned at all, i.e. unhealthy.
- Uneven streaky tan from self-tanning lotion.
- The bright orange of self-tanning lotion on the inside of your palms.
- Matching finger and toe polish. So 60s.
- Nail art.
- Bright red nail polish.
- Discolored nails.
- Dragon-like artificial nails.
- Spider veins, bumps and lumps. Use a leg spray to hide them when you don’t want to wear nude or sheer black pantyhose. When you go for nude pantyhose that looks the most natural. Donna Karan The Nudes and Leggs do the trick on me. Nude fishnets are also great to hide flaws. Further benefit, they are It
- Hairy legs or arms. You are not Godzilla’s sister.
By all means this list of common beauty mistakes is probably just the top of the iceberg of beauty mistakes. However, it is a start and great cheat sheet to pin at your bathroom mirror as a reminder.
What would you add to this list of beauty mistakes?
Get the inspiration, support, motivation, and tips to look to your best in life. Subscribe to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it, you can do it too.
Photos of me: G. Kramm
Disclosure: This post has affiliate links.
© 2013-2019 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved