$0+ women have seen metallic trends come and go
We 40+ and 40++ gals saw the lame sweaters of our moms in the late 60s, early 70s. Just a subtle thread gave the black, gray or beige sweater some festive, mystic touch. Of course, we adored these sweaters! If we were lucky, we got one for Sunday’s Best in red with gold or silver or in pink with silver foil lame.
In the late 70s, the Bohemian Indian dresses, skirts, vests and tops with gold painting were just awesome. I had a skirt-top-vest outfit and a dress in this style.
In the 80s, full-on lame dresses, jackets and tops came up for going out and some gold stripes made it into everyday wear.
I spent most of the 90s in East Germany after the unification. East German women of all age loved everything with crystals and metallic, while I run around in the all black 90s’ uniform with an Euro Chic twist.
In the Millennium years, metallic became a neutral and fully integrated into day wear.
Wear metallic the new way
Having seen metallic over the decades and how it was styled, one can quickly step into a routine and end up looking old-fashioned and Old Lady because the styling is not up-to-date.
What metallic clothes work
- To look modern and ageless go for a trench coat in one metallic color or in brocade.
- Wear a blazer or cardigan with metallic foil in the weave or solid metallic with khakis or jeans.
- Low shine leather pants, jackets or skirts in metallic with other neutrals look sophisticated and understated in simple, clean cut style with minimal accessories.
- Wearing metallic shoes, sandals or bags as neutrals during the day is so chic.
- A day dress in metallic silk or with metallic embellishment (see also this post).
- Mixing metals in jewelry is so chic.
For further inspiration on how to wear metallic over 40 see the photos in this post.
What doesn’t work
Stay away from
- Styling metallic clothes like in previous decades unless you go to a theme party.
- Wearing metallic patchwork clothes. Cinderella alert!
- Wearing metallic clothes with bright colors except the metallic items are the shoes. This means a little red dress with silver or gold pumps for date night out is awesome, but an outfit of a golden tunic top with black leggings and red patent leather pumps is looking like you are trying too hard.
- Big metallic prints on T-shirts just look cheap.
- Metallic overload of embellishment/embroidery on one clothing item or more in one outfit. The curb is not Star Wars.
- Metallic stockings are a no-no at any age. You are not an Alien or a robot!
When you liked the free outfit tips of this post, and want styling tips for all kind of dressing situation in midlife, buy my book How to Dress for Success in Midlife.
You can find another fun outfit inspiration with silver pants in the post at this link.
If you found this post helpful, please let your friends know by twitter how to wear metallic over 40 so they get the tips too.
Do you wear metallic for day or only for evening wear? Do you wear metallic as neutral? Do you wear silver and gold together? How do you style it? What are your styling challenges?
Get the inspiration, support, motivation, and tips to look to your best in life. Subscribe to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it you can do it too.
Photos: G. Kramm
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
© 2013-2019 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved