Dress for Success – Interview for a job in a creative work environment
Last Wednesday’s Dress for Success post talked about what to consider when dressing for a successful job interview in a conservative field. All the points about neatness (makeup, grooming, wrinkle-free clothes, polished shoes, clean clothes, etc.) apply also when you go to a job interview in a creative field.Wrinkled clothes are never in style. #Dress4success Click To Tweet
You want to convey the message that you are professional, can fit in, but also stand out. Thus, you pick an outfit under the same considerations as for a job in a conservative field, but style it a bit less formal to send the message that you are creative.Dressing for a job interview in a creative field seems like squaring the circle. #dress4success Click To Tweet
Fit in, but show your creativity
The goal is to combine classic pieces with one item that shows your creativity. Here is how you can play this card out.In creative fields, black is always a good idea. #dress4success Click To Tweet
- Black slim pants, tappered trousers, 3/4 pants, wide slack pants are great options. Pair them with a colorful or bright-colored solid shirt, may be with a camisole underneath. In contrast to the conservative work field, you can sport open-toe pumps when it is appropriate for the weather. Wedge or heel ankle boots are great options too. Go for a statement belt or accessory. Leopard, zebra, giraffe or snake print are great options for the belt, shoes or bag (but only one animal print at a time).
- Another option is a black pencil skirt with a colorful printed blouse worn over the skirt and hold in shape by a statement belt. Add a large structured bag and black pumps.
- In warm climate or summer, what about a solid color knee-length dress with pumps and bag in another color or with a printed structured bag or pumps?
Stylist’s tip: Never wear a hat or sunglasses inside at a job interview.
If it is a sunny day and you needed sunglasses for driving to the interview, take them off before going in. Do not shift them in your hair like you often do at the beach or for style on weekends. It’s too casual and gives the wrong impression that you can’t wait to get out to explore the town.
If your interview is is in the middle of the winter, you will need a hat. Go for a hat that does ruin your blowout by giving you a hat head. Berets are great for curly hair and bobs. Always take the hat off immediately when you get inside. It is part of being respectful!
It is always better to be slightly overdressed than under-dressed. Click To Tweet
Being overdressed is seen as respect, while being under-dressed conveys the message “I don’t care.”
You can more tips for professional outfits and various other dressing situations in midlife, in my style recipe book “How to Dress for Success in Midlife”. Buy your copy now.
Let’s keep in touch
Get the inspirations to dress your best in life. Get a subscription to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it you can do it too.
Style Me Wednesday linkup party
Now I want to invite you to a party. I am super-excited to co-host Style Me Wednesday the weekly linkup party of my friend Liz from Shopping My Closet. In case you missed our joint venture the last time around here is a brief pitch on what you can find on her fashion and lifestyle blog. Liz loves mixing and matching various pieces of her wardrobe to create her stunning looks for work, going out, or relaxing. She uses high-end luxury products, which is possible because she knows a good deal when she sees one. She pairs these designer items with non-designer items to great outfits that don’t cost a fortune. She definitively knows how to have fun with fashion.
Join the Linkup Party on High Latitude Style. Tweet this to your friends so they can join the party too.
Welcome to the weekly Style Me Wednesday fashion link-up! The Style Me Wednesday fashion blog link-up goes live every Wednesday and is meant to be a venue for you to showcase what you’re wearing or a favorite look. It’s the perfect opportunity to discover new bloggers (and friends!) and styles.
Simply follow the steps below to join Style Me Wednesday fashion link up!
Follow your co-host, High Latitude Style, on a href=”http://highlatitudestyle.com/#blog_subscription-2″ target=”_blank” rel=”noopener nofollow”>WordPress
2. Link up using the widget below to your specific blog post (i.e today’s post), not your blog’s homepage
3. Grab a button to share on your blog post about Shopping My Closet’s blog link up
Subscribe to High Latitude Style to get new posts in your email.
Photos of me: G. Kramm
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post. You don’t pay more when you purchase a product through my link. These links just make it easier for you to find something, and I get a few cents when you purchase it. I so appreciate your support of High Latitude Style. Thank you!
© 2013-2018 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved