- Clothes sales tips for women in midlife
- Browse the winter (summer) sales for first spring (fall) items
- Five big mistakes when shopping the sales
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
Clothes sales tips for women in midlife
New additions to your wardrobe matter for ageless style. However, an important aspect of ageless style is what you add to your wardrobe. When you are on a budget – and most of us are – a great way to save money on clothes is to buy the sales. However, you know that a big mistake is to buy a statement piece when you need a workhorse. So it is important to be informed what will be a bargain and when to splurge.
Browse the winter (summer) sales for first spring (fall) items
The winter sales are in full swing and the substitute shoppers try the first spring trends to see what sells and what doesn’t. Winter is still in full swing or just has started in some regions. Some Fashionistas suffer already from winter wardrobe boredom where the snow cover has blanketed the landscape since October, or even late September (e.g. Interior Alaska). Thus, we are all tempted to get something new to get a fresh view in our outfits and wardrobe.
Never wory again, when to wear what where. My style recipe book How to Dress for Success in Midlife has the solutions. Buy it now.
Five big mistakes when shopping the sales
There is nothing wrong with buying items on sale, but shopping the sales can be like a walk on a mine field for any fashionista who strives for ageless, but modern – fashion forward – style. Here are the five major mistakes that you should avoid to not ruin your wardrobe and personal style and to avoid to become a sales victim.
- Don’t buy low quality pieces.
- Please be aware that many stores buy items just for the sales. These pieces are often of low quality with respect to the manufacture and/or fabrics. They look like what they are, cheap, and cheap is never stylish, it is just cheap.
- Don’t buy anything that does not fit. Needed changes should not be more than shortening a hem or the sleeves.
- Don’t buy an item that is a size or more too large. Tailors are artists that can fix many things. But a piece that is a size up has a different cut. Depending on the cut, it cannot be changed as the cut in your size could need material where there is none in the larger size. The tailoring may become so expensive that you don’t save anything, even worse, you have an altered item instead of the original in your size when you had bought it in fall.
- Never buy an item that is too small thinking I will loose a couple of pounds and it will fit. You will end up with a wardrobe full of unworn clothes and nothing to wear. Always buy for the size you are now.
- Don’t buy anything just because it is a big name when it is not your color, size, and/or style. It will just take up real estate in your closet.
- Don’t assume that an item is on sale because of the end of the season. There is often a reason why an item is 60 or 70% off. Check all sales items carefully for flaws. There is a reason why all sale items are final.
- Don’t buy an item just because it is on sale.
- Never buy an item when you can’t come up with at least three outfits with pieces that you already own.
- Always keep in mind what you have already in your closet. When you own already a black pencil skirt, a black straight skirt, a black A-line skirt, a black midi-skirt, and a black skater skirt, do you really need a black leather skirt? Wouldn’t a leather skirt in a different color be a better addition to your wardrobe? Of course, when your style is Goth, go for the black leather skirt if it is a great fit.
- Before you buy a sales item always think about whether this item is this season’s It piece. If the answer is yes, use your judgement whether it will still be stil It next winter. This means if it is not a variation/twist on a classic, skip it. Also ask yourself whether you will like it also in the next season.
- Another question you should ask yourself is whether you would have wanted the item, i.e. would you have been in love with the item if it were not on sale. If the answer is no, skip it and save the money. Only buy what you truly love. In everything else you will not feel confident and great, two main ingredients of ageless style.
- Don’t make the mistake to forget what you actually need. Look for these items first as these are pieces that will up your wardrobe. Thus, first take inventory of your closet before browsing the sales.
When you liked this post please let your friends know too what to avoid when shopping the sales. They and I will appreciate your support. <3I just found a great post on what mistakes to avoid when shopping the sales. Read it. #budgetfashionista Click To Tweet
Have you hit already the sales? What do you need and will you look for? Are you already shopping for spring items? Just curious.
Get the tips to dress your best in life. Subscribe to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it you can do it too.
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2020 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved