Those of you who follow my blog already for a while know that I like to search for high end items on eBay and in consignment stores. One of my readers recently asked me to share how to score high in a consignment store. Of course, I answered to her email directly. Since this reader’s question may be of interest for a wide audience I am answering the question here as well and share the tips with all of you. Thus, please if you have a question do not hesitate to send me an email.
- Know the medium and high end brands that you are interested in and how they fit you and search the racks for these.
- Know your color palette, i.e. which colors make your face pop and look flattering on you. Only browse that section of the rack unless you have experience in which fabrics and colors you can dye to the colors that are in your color palette.
- Know your measures and have a measure band ready to measure the item that you are interested in. Lay it flat and multiply the flat measurements by 2. If the result fits your measurements plus an inch for ease this is an item you will try on for fit. You don’t want to go by size because a reason why the item is here may be that it shrunk in the washer and/or drier.
- Don’t waste your time by going thru items that are labeled more than one size up of your size or are not your style or color palette.
- Inspect the item for flaws and assess whether the item is in a condition that the price is ok. For instance, when you still have to bring it to a tailor to shorten the hem, dye or bring it always to the dry cleaner, when it gets dirty, add these costs in your mind. As a rule of thumb, dry cleaning is between $10 to $15, hemming is about $20, dying is about $5, but may not turn out as you like. Always wash your consigned items before wearing them.
- Befriend a sales person and tell her what you are looking for and give her your phone number. She will call you when something comes in that you are looking for or she thinks you may like.
- Browse often. Tuesdays or two days after a holiday are best, as people tend to clean their closets when they have time and stores need a day to inventarize the brought in items.
This beautiful coat is a consignment store find for $52. I like the sleek elegant cut that seems somehow in contrast to the floral pattern. The pattern is quite large so it does not look sweet or romantic. On the contrary, the relatively
large flowers even give the coat some edge. And as you know I like edgy.
Do you thrift? What were your recent finds? What are you looking for when you shop a thrift store?
You can find more information on buying fashion second hand like tips for 5 star shopping on eBay, consigning, and an example of a second hand outfit at the links.
Get the inspiration, support, motivation, and tips to look to your best in life. Get a subscription to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it you can do it too.
Photos: G. Kramm
Copyright 2013-2017 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved