Lace was for the Aristocrats and rich merchants
In the Old World, lace was one of the first status symbols in fashion. Brüssels’ lace was famous. My grandma even had to learn in boarding school how to make lace! She taught me how to make eyelets and some other cousins of lace. I really loved her teaching me these skills.
Lace became a feminine thing
When I was a kid, lace was associated with brides and as decoration on little girls’ Sundays best. I had a brown velvet dress with a lace collar.
Lace – today’s classic trend
Now flash forward in time. Lace is a big trend right now.
- At any age, lace looks best as the statement itself, i.e. without any froufrou. Streamlined cuts look great in lace like the sheath dress in the OOTD or a lace pencil skirt. Other cuts to look ageless in lace are A-cut skirts, shift dresses, collarless tops, or lined jackets. A twenty something may pull off a lace slip dress and look awesome, but it is a risky balancing act. Lace on a slip dress can read slip.
- Go for a classic length, i.e. about 3-4 inches (7.5-10 cm) above the knee is the shortest hem length for an ageless look.
- Go for matte lace. Lace in silk and cotton are a great choice as it looks high quality and not cheap. The lace should not be shiny as anything shiny could look fattening.
- Watch the color of the lace and the color of the lining underneath. A black or red lace dress with nude lining are for cocktail parties, while an all navy, all gray or all black lace sheath dress can even work for work. Navy with beige or winter white underneath can look very sophisticated. Think of the Duchess of Cambridge in her blue lace dress with nude L.K. Bennetts. What a classic look!
- Lace ruffles, lace tired skirts, lace tops or lace jackets without any underlining, lace in candy or baby pastel colors, or lace with your skin as background are all no-nos when you strive for ageless style.
- When wearing lace style it with sleek tailored pieces. Unless you are going for an eclectic style don’t wear heavy wool sweaters or wool blazers with lace.
Here are visual inspirations how to wear lace in fashion over 40.
This Alexander Wang little white dress shows a variation of eyelets in the back. The shirt-dress cut gives this dress a modern look. All items are my own
This long lace dress with denim jacket and statement belt is an ageless look for going out on the weekend
Do you like lace? Is lace part of your style? How do you wear your lace? Let me know by email, I am curious.
You can find the first and second post of this series on Ageless Style in floral prints and menswear at these links. Get the support, motivation, and tips to look to your best in life. Get a subscription to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it you can do it too. Thanks for stopping by. Come back soon.
Photos: G. Kramm (2015)
Copyright 2013-2016 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved