Who hasn’t heard the saying
April showers bring May flowers
which is very true from a vegetation point of view? However, another truth is that on rainy days, everything seems dull, gray and chilly at this time a year. Everyone seems to be moody. If you had not been on a winter vacation somewhere sunny, your vitamin D level is probably low. You like many other people have a carving for color and sun.
How can you up your and other people’s mood on a rainy spring day? By dressing stylishly with color. When everything is gray, the human eye and mind is desperate to see something else. When someone’s eye finds what it searched for, there will be the spark of success, a smile, you made someone’s day. This persons’ reaction on your outfit will also up your mood.
Here are six tips to look stylish on rainy days and shear up the mood:
- Being prepared is key. When rain is in the forecast have a folding umbrella and/or a folding rain coat in your tote/work bag for potential protection. Also avoid wearing shoes with leather soles. These soles soak the water from the sidewalk and street. The sole takes hours to dry and you will have wet shoes all day, a recipe for a cold and at least an uncomfortable day.
- On a rainy day, add a pop of color to your outfit. The rain coat, rain boots, bag or umbrella are great points to start to add a pop of color to an (otherwise neutral) outfit. When you live in a climate with lots of rain (e.g. Pacific Northwest, West Europe, Great Britain, Norway, anywhere in the Tropics) you may even think about getting an umbrella collection.
- Reduce your risk of catching a cold and/or feeling uncomfortable. Wear a raincoat or jacket even when you have an umbrella. It is important to stay dry when it drizzles, or when it is windy. Wind pushes the rain drops off their path into a path that is at an angle to the Earth’s surface. This means even tough you carry an umbrella your lower body parts may get wet without a long rain coat. In the case of drizzle, you walk faster than the drizzle falls. This means you scavenge drizzle out as you move forward. A clear umbrella may be great on these foggy days, as you may hold it as a shield to at least protect your face and hair from getting wet. Who likes to arrive at work ready for a new blow out and makeup?
- Wear fabrics that are easy to clean as splashes may occur. Dark jeans are fine as the spots are less visible than with light pants. When it is already warm enough and your work dress code permits bare legs, go for it even when they are still untanned. You can easily towel them dry once you arrived at work, while pantyhose would have spots and take some time to dry. It looks more stylish to have light skin than wearing dirty pantyhose. 😉
- Avoid wearing fabrics that start smelling when they get humid. You don’t want to smell like a wet sheep or dog.
- Have a pair of pumps in your work tote/bag as rubber boots are heavy and may lead to sweating. It is already wet outside and you wore the rain boots to stay dry. You don’t want to get them wet inside. The sweat water would lead to cold feet once you are back outside.
Burberry Brit trench coat with Express shirt dress, Madonna True or Dare floral pumps, Jaeger tote and black pearl necklace (all own)
Bebe motorcycle leather jacket with Karl Jaeger button front dress, Carhartt gingham shirt, Anne Klein T-strap slingbacks and Jager tote (all own)
Burned red capri pants for a pop of color with pumps, sweater, pearls, Longchamp bag and Burberry trench coat (all own)
Back view on outfit with Burberry trench coat, GNW tights, Steve Madden sandals, American Meteorological Society umbrella (all own)
Burberry Brit trench coat with printed cardigan, polka dot scarf, pumps (all own) and colorful striped skirt c/o eShakti
Burberry raincoat with Ralph Lauren polka dot pleated skirt, L.K. Bennett pumps, and yellow Longchamp bag for a pop of color (all own)
When you liked this post please share it on twitter and tweet I just found awesome tips to look stylish in rain.
Does weather affect your mood? What do you do about it? What are your wearing on these April days with moody weather? What are your tricks to stay comfortable even when it rains cats and dogs? Have you ever thought about starting an umbrella collection? Let me know by email, I am curious. Link up your favorite rain outfits at the Top of the World Style party tomorrow in addition to your OOTD.
Get the support, motivation, and tips to look to your best in life. Get a subscription to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it you can do it too.
Photos: G. Kramm (2016)
Copyright 2013-2016 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved