Signature clothes of the decades
The 50s are known for the wide skirts, the 60s for the Mod, the 70s for the Bohemian style, flared legs, tie-dye T-shirts, the 80s for the wide shoulders and long jackets, the 90s for black everything and jeans with crotches hanging at the knees and exposing the Y, the 00s for the empire-style tops that looked like one were pregnant. Do I have to say that I did not like them? The 10s probably will be known for the leopard print everything.
Ageless Style in animal print in midlife
How to look sophisticated in animal prints without looking like one wants to feature the animal for Halloween is a challenge at any age. But the older one gets, the more urgent it is to get it right. Here I want to share what I found that works and what does not.
Animal print looks that work over 40
- Animal prints should be in the colors (or close to the colors) of the animal’s fur or skin so you can treat the animal print as a neutral.
- Only one animal print and item per outfit unless your style is Eclectic Posh. You don’t know your style? Take this free online style quiz to find out.
- Animal print requires tailored clean, sleek and simple cuts like a shirt dress, a pencil skirt, cardigan. Style them like you style your neutrals (see OOTD).
- Animal print scarves, pumps, clutches, totes, satchels are great bets.
- Wearing animal print with pieces that harmonize with the print rather than compete with it is a safe bet.
- Leopard print with red is a classic.
- Try leopard print with spots larger than the floral print that picks up at least three colors of the leopard print. It may or may not work. Read risky!
Inspirations with animal prints for women over 40
Below you can find some inspirations for how to style animal print over 40.
GNW leopard print sweater worn as top over eShakti floral print dress with H-belt, Michael Kors plateau sandals, Jaeger tote (all own) and wooden watch c/o Jord shown as an example for mixing animal print with floral
Levis denim jacket with G-III suede skirt, Aldo leopard print pony hair pumps Ray Ban sunglasses, Celine tote (all own) and striped T-shirt c/o Marine Layer. Leopard print pumps are a classic
I.N.C. chocolate brown leather pants with knitwit giraffe print sweater, layering top (similar here), Hermes collier de chien bangle, statement necklace and Clarks booties (all own)
Chocolate brown I.N.C. leather pants, GNW Luxe cashmere wool sweater accessorized with thrifted leopard print silk scarf, and booties (all own)
Oliveo long leather skirt with GNW Luxe cashmere wool sweater, GNW leopard print tights, Nine West plateau heeled loafers, Hermes collier de chien bangle and Hermes enamel bangles (all own)
Sienna Studio snake print leather pants with GNW Luxe wool cashmere sweater, Moda silk cashmere cardigan, Kieselstein Cord belt and buckle, peridot beads and pearl necklace (all own)
GNW zebra print cardigan worn as top with white Newports News leather pants, Jake’s hounds-tooth blazer, Ivanka Trump pumps, Moschino belt, and 3.1 Philip Lim tote (all own)
GNW leopard print cardigan layered under Ann Taylor cashmere sweater over Sienna Studio leather pencil skirt with Harley Davidson booties (all own)
When you liked the free outfit tips of this post, and want styling tips for all kind of dressing situation in midlife, buy my book How to Dress for Success in Midlife.
What doesn’t work for ageless style in animal pattern
- Animal prints from head to toe
- Different animal prints in one outfit
- Animal prints in colors that are far away from the actual animal’s fur or skin colors
- Tight, short, and shiny leopard dresses, skirts or tops
- Baggy clothes with animal print
- Ruffles, embroidery, sequins, lace and animal print all together in one outfit
- Ruffle animal print tops or tired animal print skirts
- Animal print patchwork in bags or leather jackets
When you liked this post tweet your friends How to look sophisticated in animal prints over 40.
If you liked any of these outfit inspirations, it would help me if you pinned them to your own Pinterest board. It’s a great way that your friends, family, and others can see them too.
How do you style your animal prints? What are your style challenges with respect to animal prints? Let me know how I can help you by sending me an email.
Do you want to read more about Ageless style? Previous issues of the Ageless Style series covered
Keeping in touch
Are you registered for my email notification to let you know when a post goes live? I’d highly appreciate it if you take the time to sign up and ask your friends to sign up too!!
Photos: G. Kramm
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post. You don’t pay more when you purchase a product through my link. These links just make it easier for you to find something, and I get a few cents when you purchase it. I so appreciate your support of High Latitude Style. Thank you!
© 2013-2019 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved