See these outfit ideas what you can wear with sequins to get inspired.
- Sequins Are a Tricky Trend
- Today Sequins Are No More for Night Life Only
- … and They Are More Than an Embellishment Like In the 1980s
- Ignore Growing Up Associating Sequins With Fancy
- How to Keep an Sequin Outfit Low Key
- Lust for More Styling Suggestions with Sequins?
- Top of the World Style Linkup No. 155
Disclosure: This post has affiliate links.
Sequins Are a Tricky Trend
In the old times, sequins were for female show moderators, figure skaters, dancers, singers, and evening wear only. As a kid, I always admired the flashes, sparkles, and stars from the reflection of the spot light beams. Every movement changes the look of the gown. I was fascinated.
They are a tricky trend for various reasons.
- Everything that is shiny – these reflections are without doubt shiny – adds weight and shows easily every lump and bumps when the garment is tight enough. You can find more on how to style sparkly clothes in the post at the link when you are interested.
- How to style the trend differs strongly from how it was styled when the trend was around before.
Today Sequins Are No More for Night Life Only
Today sequins are not for celebrities, the opera, theater, shows, dancers and figure skates only. Their first move to the daylight was in the 80s. They occurred as embellishment on sweaters, t-shirts and camisoles that the wearer styled down with jeans. On the contrary, you wore your sequin embellished camisoles with the power suits or blazer.
Stylist tip: To not go over the top I limited the outfit to two colors.
… and They Are More Than an Embellishment Like in the 1980s
Today, the little guys go full on the entire garments. It’s a blazer cut like for the office, but fully covered with these little reflecting plastic pieces. You can find leggings and skirts all covered with them. Of course, this requires to style them like the pieces they are – blazers, leggings or skirts with the usual item you wear during day with a blazer, pair of leggings or skirt.
Ignore Growing Up Associating Sequins With Fancy
The inspirational outfit with midi sequin skirt and leather jacket has a bit of Rock’n Roll style. Adding a layering top and posh high end silk scarf shifts the look into modern work outfit in the non-corporate, but creative job field.
How to Keep an Sequin Outfit Low Key
I admit – in slight variation of their shade/tone: Brown and pink. This color combination is a fool proof modern office color combination. For another look in this color combination see this Hawaiian shirt with fit-and-flare skirt summer outfit.
Lust for More Styling Suggestions with Sequins?
You can find more looks with these small reflecting palettes like a sequin-patch denim jacket and a semi-formal blue and black accent dress.
Top of the World Style Linkup No. 155
Welcome to the 155th Top of the World Style linkup party. First, let’s see the featured bloggers from the last party.
Andrea Nine, the blogger at Living on Cloud Nine, became Top of the World OOTD Readers’ Fav. Photo from her post
Congrats Ladies! Grab your award banners.
Photos of me: G. Kramm
© 2013-2022 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved