Clothes often become boring because they are worn always the same way. For this post I challenged myself to recycle a favorite skirt in multiple looks. Get inspired to shop your closet for more looks from what you already own.
- The Slow Fashion Movement: Recycle Clothes in New outfits
- Environmental Impacts of Fast Fashion
- Dye and Transport Pollute Water and Air
- Other Fashion Related Chemicals
- How I Recycled my Fav Skirt in Various Looks
- Outfit Inspirations with a Red Skirt
- More on Eco-Friendly Fashion and Sustainability in Fashion
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
The Slow Fashion Movement: Recycle Clothes in New Outfits
More and more women think about the environmental, economic and/or societal impacts of Fast Fashion. They look at fast fashion, sustainability and quality of life. Some of them made the New Year’s resolution not to buy anything for a month. Other made pledges to wear every clothing item at least 30 times or to save with second hand wardrobe additions to slow fashion down.
Recycling a Wardrobe Favorite in Multiple Outfits Is the New Do
Slowing down fashion benefits your (fashion) budget, and the environment. Repeating a clothing item like a sheath in multiple ways, for instance, means wearing it not just as a dress. Obviously, it is more challenging to style a blazer in different ways.
Environmental Impacts of Fast Fashion
In general, fashion causes a lot of environmental harm and pollution.
How the Production of Wool May Affect the Environment
Wool, for instance, stems from sheep. On first view, a sustainable resource. Sheep feed on grass. When you want to produce more wool sweaters or coats, you need more sheep to increase the wool production. Consequently, you need more grassland or you overgraze the land. Overgrazing, however, leads to long recovery of the grass, as well as soil and dust uptake by wind. The wind carries the fertile upper soil layer away and/or the rain can wash it away easily. Once in the air, soil dust gets transported over long distances affecting the Earth’s radiation budget, and hence climate. Locally, the change from healthy grass to bare land alters the energy and water cycles.
The same applies for cashmere, but not for musk ox underwool.
Dye and Transport Pollute Water and Air
Dyeing of fabrics or leather pollutes water. The transport of clothes from the manufacturer to the stores and from the store to your home releases pollutants. Whenever a middleman is involved the items do not only become more expensive (without gaining value), but also take a detour to your closet.
Other Fashion Related Chemicals
Huge and cheap cotton production relies on fertilizers and pesticides. Production of nylon, synthetics and faux leather need fossil resources.
How I Recycled My Fav Skirt in Multiple Looks
The trick, how you can wear a skirt again and again without falling into a style rut, is to style the piece differently each time. Of course, there is nothing wrong with repeating an entire outfit, especially a great one.
The suede skirt outfit idea below all feature my G-III skirt – a $20 find in a second hand boutique.
Outfit Inspirations with a red Skirt
1. Loft striped top, Salvatore Ferragamo pumps, and wooden watch c/o JORD
3. Levis denim jacket, polka dot print Keds, Ray Ban sunglasses, Celine tote, and striped T-shirt c/o Marine Layer
5. Andrew Marc shearling motorcycle jacket, GNW tights, Manolo Blahnik booties, LeatherCoatsEtc gloves and YSL bag
7. VS leather bomber jacket, Anne Klein sweater, GNW tights, Hermes cuff and Manolo Blahnik booties
9. GNW tight, Anne Klein scarf, Tissot watch, Ann Taylor blazer, Harley Davidson booties, onyx and jade necklace c/o Almo Jewellery
11. GNW tights, GNW cardigan worn as a top, BeBe leather jacket with zipper details, Coach Chelseas and smoky quartz necklace
13. Burberry trench coat, August Silk top, Hunter rain boots, pantyhose, Jaeger tote and umbrella
15. Jones New York cardigan, unbranded pantyhose, Oliveo chambray shirt, DIY statement necklace, Ray Ban Jackie O. sunglasses
17. Anne Klein turtleneck sweater, G-III suede leather skirt, GNW tight, opera-length pearl necklace, Hermes collier de chien belt, Hermes collier de chien cuff, Hermes enamel bangles, Seiko watch, golden bangle, and Peter Kaiser block heel pumps
19. Loft sweater, Steve Madden kitten heel pumps, Celine bag, garnet necklace, pantyhose, Hermes collier de chien band and enamel bangles
21. Cream leather shell, gray Covington pumps, Anne Klein leopard print silk scarf, and Modalo Pippa bag
23. Barbour cable-knit dress, Moschino belt, GNW tights, Manolo Blahnik booties)
27. Rose dust lace 3/4 sleeves halftee c/o Halftee with own GNW sweater, GNW tight, Manelo Blanik booties and opera length rose pearl necklace
29. Shein abstract floral print top, Hermes collier de chien bangle, Hermes enamel bangles arm party, Paloma Picasso sunglasses and Very Fine Dance Sportshoes neon pink sandals
31. Armani cape, Prada satchel, Gloria VanDerBilt pointy toe pumps, unbranded pantyhose, silk rose pin, puma buckle belt, Hermes collier de chien bangle, and gingham button-down c/o Whistle River
33. Downcoat c/o Happy Goat Lucky worn with own headband, LeatherCoatsEtc gloves, GNW tight, Salamander shearling booties, Palovo scarf and Coach shearling mini bag
35. Anne Klein oblong scarf, GNW Luxe long-sleeves sweater, Hermes collier de chien bangle, pendant necklace, and Manolo Blahnik buckle booties
37. GNW tight, Manolo Blahnik booties, Kieselstein Cord belt, statement buckle, GNW cardigan, Moda International (dyed) cardigan, Hermes collier de chien bangle, and hand-painted artisan made scarf c/o Uno Alla Volta
39. Riders by Lee button-down Buffalo plaid shirt c/o Walmart with own Moda International cardigan (dyed), GNW tight, Manolo Blanik booties, Kieselstein Cord belt, snake tail buckle, Jodie Gum brooch
41. Floral print scarf styled as belt, GNW tight, Manolo Blanik booties, Kate Moss for Longchamp bag, triple strands pearl necklace and black blouse c/o Lilysilk
43. Riders by Lee buffalo plaid button-down shirt c/o Walmart, Anne Klein polka dot silk scarf, Kieselstein Cord belt, statement snake tail buckle, Hermes collier de chien leather band, and Nine zebra print pony hair pumps
2. Gucci G belt, GNW Luxe sweater, GNW tight, Antonio Melani booties, Hermes cuffs and LV scarf, and Akoya pearls c/o The Pearl Source
4. GNW cashmere sweater, GNW tights, Hermes enamel bangles, Manolo Blahnik booties, triple pearl necklace, and Akoya pearls c/o The Pearl Source
6. Levis denim jacket, Aldo leopard print ponyhair pumps Ray Ban sunglasses, Celine tote, and striped T-shirt c/o Marine Layer
8. Eddy Bauer Fair Isle sweater, ethnic belt, Great Northwest denim shirt, GNW tights, and Double-H booties,
10. Lookbook Store motorcycle jacket, GNW cable-knit pattern tights, Harley Davidson booties, onyx and jade necklace c/o Almo Jewellery
12. Landsend crewneck sweater, GNW tights, Hermes cuffs and Gloria Vanderbilt pumps
14. Vince leather shell, Hermes collier de chien cuff, and Studio strappy multi color sandals
16. GNW abstract print cardigan, Hermes collier de chien belt and bangle, Seiko watch, pumps
18. GNW cardigan, GNW leopard print cardigan worn as top, pantyhose, Festina watch, Hermes collier de chien bangle, D&GM sunglasses and Moschino belt
20. Steve Madden Mary Janes, GNW tight, Burberry blazer, Loft sweater, Oliveo button-down shirt, Gucci G-belt and LV bucket bag
22. Halogen quilted cropped jacket, Steve Madden Mary Janes, pantyhose, Loft sweater
24. Moda International motorcycle leather vest with GNW cardigan worn as top, G-III suede skirt, pumps, and LV multi color saddle bag with studs
26. GNW cardigan worn as top, Hermes collier de chien leather band, Paloma Picasso sunglasses and Chanel belt
28. Great Northwest utility jacket, Loft sweater, camouflage booties
30. Aldo pumps, Esprit bag, and statement necklace c/o Almo Jewellery
32. Gucci bamboo enamel buckle belt, pantyhose, Hermes collier de chien bangle, Gloria vanderBilt pointy toe heels, topas headband, Cami coat, and abstract poppy print button-down shirt c/o Ethyl Clothing
34. Unbranded pantyhose, Gloria Vander Bilt pointy toe heels, Hermes collier de chien bangle, super-sized puma belt buckle, silk flower pin, and gingham blouse c/o Whistle River
36. GNW cardigan, Kieselstein Cord belt, ethnic buckle, Calvin Klein block heel pumps, Oscar de la Rente oblong scarf braided as a necklace, pantyhose, Italian designer bag c/o Uno Alla Volta and ruby herring bone front zipper jacket c/o Whistle River
38. Great Northwest jacket, Kieselstein Cord belt, ethnic buckle, Calvin Klein block-heel pumps, fringe suede leather purse c/o Uno Alla Volta, and sterling silver location cuff c/o ONecklace
40. Orvis floral print on camouflage utility jacket, Moda International sweater, GNW tight, SAK bag, Nine West camouflage pony hair booties, and Joyita scarf c/o Uno Alla Volta
42. U-knit dress worn as T-shirt, Sofie cardigan, BGBC belt, Coach bag, Gipsy coat carried over the arm, JORD bamboo watch, own pearl necklace twisted with Akoya pearl necklace c/o The Pearl Source Inc.
44. GNW tutleneck sweater, Anne Klein scarf, Vince Camuto boots, gemstone buckle purple imprint leather belt, tights c/o Hipstik® Legwear
46. Burberry trench coat with Loft striped top, statement necklace, Salvatore Ferragamo pumps, and wooden watch c/o JORD
More on Eco-Friendly Fashion and Sustainability in Fashion
Read more about environment-“friendly” fashion. Buying second hand is a great way to slow down fashion and save money. When you are new to thrifting, take a look at this list of brands to look for when browsing a thrift shop for a good start, Dos and Don’ts.
Mölders, 2011. Land-Use and Land-Cover Changes – Impact on Climate and Air Quality, Springer
Did you know that you can take the stress out of getting dressed with my style book How to Dress for Success in Midlife? Buy it now.
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2023 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved