When you are around for a while, trends pop up again. You have this dèja vue effect. The risk (and worst) is high to style it like in the decade it was around the last time. Here you learn the concept of wearing the 1970s inspired clothes in a timeless, modern way. Read how to style the 70s trend.
- When a Decade Is a Trend, You Should Never Wear It Like Back Then
- How to Style the 70s Trend to Look Modern
- Listicle of Styling Tips
- Modern 70s Trend Outfit Ideas
- Conclusion on How to Style the 70s Trend
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
When a Decade Is a Trend, You Should Never Wear It Like Back Then
Fall’s 70s trend is very tricky for all of us over 40. Those of us over 45 have worn the real items when they were young women, teenager or fashion conscious girls. Those of us between 40 and 45 may run into the same style rut of the older 40+ peers. The danger of wearing the 70s trend the 70s way!When a decade is a trend, it doesn't mean you wear it like back then. #agelessstyle Click To Tweet
The inspirational photo above shows that today, the belt is not on the hip as in the 70s and the pants are slim. Adding flared jeans like in the 70s would be just too much, i.e. you would look Old-fashioned. Read more on modern dress-over-pants looks.
How to Style the 70s Trend to Look Modern
Our goal is an effortless, no-frills and cannot quite put your finger on it sophisticated ageless style. The example below illustrates that the necklace is worn from inside of turtleneck to create interest, edge and stay out of the 70s territory. Recall, back then we wore a turtleneck with multiple long necklaces. The belt is high on the waist and not low on the hips as back in the 70s. Read more on best accessorizing with belts in this guide.
Listicle for Styling Tips
Here is a list with the essential points to keep in mind to achieve ageless style in this trend:
- Don’t wear the trend head-to-toe. It’s a trend, not a 1970s costume party. Halloween is October 31, remember? Only one item per outfit!
- Resist the urge to get/wear that piece from back when you were in high school/college. Even when you may have it somewhere in the attic.
- Get the trend in a color that is up-to-date, far away from the hip colors back then. Soft hues are great.
- Whatever the piece is, style it like you would style a similar piece that is not that trend.
- In all cases, go for a different shade with the color of your purse than the color of your shoes! Remember, back then they bought the shoes to go with the bag or vice versa.
- Keep your make-up modern. No inner eyeliner. Keep the eye line outside!
- If you go for the Hippie Flower Power side of the 70s trend, keep the tips in my guide on modern Bohemian Style in mind. You may also want to read the tips under Global trends to create a modern, fashion forward look.
- Flared (dark wash) jeans or a midi A-line wool skirt are great choices. Style the flares with a black turtleneck, and a modern trench coat for a classic timeless look. Style the midi with pointy toe boots in the same color to elongate the legs, a contrasting neutral color untucked sweater, and close to the neck statement necklace in the color of the skirt.
- Don’t go for extremes like, for instance, flares that hinder you walking. You had been there, done that when you were younger. You made the experience that bell-bottoms are a trip hazard. Keep the trend grown-up.
Modern 70s Trend Outfit Ideas
The following photo inspirations apply the above discussed concepts. Do you recognize them?
Solution:: Here the waterfall cardigan is tied in a right now way with a knot.
Solution:: Here the trick to stay away from the typical 70s colors is used.
More on what to pair with retro skirts.
Conclusion on How to Style the 1970s Trend
Never wear a trend from another decade head-to-toe in the It colors of that time unless you go to a decade theme party or for Halloween.
If you liked this post and the 70s trend, let your friends knowHow to master fall's tricky 70s trend when you are over 40. #agelessstyle Click To Tweet
Don’t let your outfit be a random thing. Wear the right look in every situation by looking up what to wear when in How to Dress for Success in Midlife. Buy the book now.
Are you registered for my Newsletter to let you know about new posts and special style subjects? I’d highly appreciate it if you take the time to sign up and ask your friends to sign up too!!
Top of the World Style Linkup No. 325
Welcome to the Top of the World Style linkup party.
Congrats Ladies! Grab your award buttons.
Please invite your friends.
Come join me at the Top of the World Style #linkup party. #ffblogger Click To Tweet
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2022 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved