When a decade is a trend, it doesn’t mean you wear it like back then
Fall’s 70s trend is very tricky for all of us over 40. Those of us over 45 have worn the real items when they were young women, teenager or fashion conscious girls. Those of us between 40 and 45 may run into the same style rut of the older 40+ peers. The danger of wearing the 70s trend the 70s way!When a decade is a trend, it doesn't mean you wear it like back then. #agelessstyle Click To Tweet
How to get fall’s 70s trend right
Our goal is an effortless, no-frills and cannot quite put your finger on it sophisticated ageless style. Here are some essential points to keep in mind to achieve ageless style in this trend.
- Don’t wear the trend head-to-toe. It’s a trend not a 70s costume party. Halloween is October 31, remember? Only one item per outfit!
- Resist the urge to get/wear that piece from back then in high school/college that you may have somewhere in the attic.
- Get the trend in a color that is up-to-date, far away from the hip colors back then. Soft hues are great.
- Whatever the piece is, style it like you would style a similar piece that is not that trend.
- In all cases, go for a different shade with the color of your purse than the color of your shoes! Remember, back then they bought the shoes to go with the bag or vice versa.
- Keep your make-up modern. No inner eyeliner. Keep the eye line outside!
- If you go for the Bohemian side of the 70s trend, keep in mind these tips in mind and read the tips under Global trends to get it right.
- Flared (dark wash) jeans or a midi A-line wool skirt are great choices. Style the flares with a black turtleneck and a modern trench coat for a classic timeless look. Style the midi with pointy toe boots in the same color to elongate the legs and a contrasting neutral color untucked sweater, and close to the neck statement necklace in the color of the skirt.
- Don’t go for extremes like, for instance, flares that hinder you walking. You had been there, done that when you were younger. Keep the trend grown-up.
If you liked this post and the 70s trend, let your friends know
How to master fall's tricky 70s trend when you are over 40. #agelessstyle Click To Tweet
Will you try the 70s trend? What item of this trend is on your wish list? Have you already bought an item of the 70s trend? Show it tomorrow at the Top of the World Style in addition to your OOTD at the weekly fashion linkup party on High Latitude Style.
Keeping in touch
Are you registered for my Newsletter to let you know about new posts and special style subjects? I’d highly appreciate it if you take the time to sign up and ask your friends to sign up too!!
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2018 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved