500 style posts and counting …
This post is the 500th post on High Latitude Style. Hard to believe!? I started blogging in June 2013 because I love fashion and was upset about an article that stated that Alaskans are the worst dressed in the US. I focused on how to dress stylishly and not to freeze from hypothermia. When I started I never thought about any milestones. I just enjoy writing about fashion. So where am I now after 500 posts?
- Fashion blogging is now part of my life, as well as writing about fashion related science, and featuring Alaska from a fashion/style and insulation perspective. I started with three posts per week, but now post five times a week.
- I learned that I really enjoy creating content beyond just how to dress stylishly in cold climate. I discovered that dressing stylishly in nasty weather is even tougher for anyone over 40. The clothing industry still mainly focuses on the fast sales for teens and tweens where coverage, quality, and fit are not often part of the big picture.
- To improve my blogging voice and web presence, I took several blogging classes. I learned how to accelerate loading of the posts, make videos, but still have not had the nerve to post some How to … videos. Would you enjoy them?
- Recently, I added a linkup party – called Top of the World Style to give back to my fellow bloggers. Linkups are a great opportunity to make new friends and find new inspirations and blogs.
- I love feedback and comments from my readers and fellow bloggers via email, twitter, and facebook. Many improvements of my blog’s appearance, and many posts were initiated by readers’ suggestions or questions, e.g. Why do clothes spark?, Size doesn’t matter fit does, or How to hit a score on eBay, just to mention a few.
- Reading my fellow bloggers’ blogs is also very inspirational. For instance, I joined the “hairy discussion” on gray or not gray, or whether or not to wear >pink after 40.
- Like any endeavor, fashion and style blogging is its own beast, challenging and fascinating. I like a challenge. It is also commitment, being creative, and reaching out, as well as rewarding when reader provide feedback.
Look of the Day
This LOTD features the blue and white trend of this spring/summer season. Actually, investing in these nautical colors is never wrong as nautical is a classic. In this look, I styled the striped skirt outside this theme for an office appropriate look rather than a weekend outfit. Striped skirts are hot this warm season, but for petites like me smaller stripes work better than the wide blogs. On a small frame, only about four to five bold stripes would have space. Furthermore, the small stripes look more grown-up and elegant. Thus, they are our territory.
I added a pop of neon with the shoes to add interest. It is still chilly in the mornings here in Alaska, thus, I took my boxy leather coat.
P.S. Like one of these looks? Then please pin them to your own Pinterest board so your friends, and family can see them too.
Let’s be friends
I’d highly appreciate it if you take the time to sign up for my bi-weekly newsletter to know what’s up on the blog and styling tips beyond.
Photos: G. Kramm
© 2013-2018 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved