Silk is an expensive fabric. Thus, many of us have a hard time to toss silk clothing. Here I show you how to upcycle three men silk shirts into a maxidress.
- What You Need
- How to Upcycle Men Silk Shirts into a Maxidress
- Instructions to Download
- Further Upcycling Projects You May Like
What You Need
- Sewing machine
- 3 silk men’s shirt size XL
- Tape measure
How to Upcycle Men Silk Shirts into a Maxidress
Instructions to Download
- Cut off the sleevess according to your shoulder measurements.
- Then cut off the sides according to your chest measurements measurements. Pin the button part onto the part with the wholes and sew it so you have the female way of buttoning.
- Cut off the sleevess to your desired length. Make sure they fit into the cut of your top.
- Next cut off the button part on both sides of the cut-off lower part of the shirt. This part will become your first tire panel of the dress.
- On the shirt that becomes the middle part cut off the hem. On the shirt that becomes the lowest part keep the hem. Stitch the upper part so you can pin it to the lower part of the tire.
- Pin the sides of the top together and sew them together. Pin the sleeves in and sew them in. Pull the yarn of the first tire panel to the circumfence of the top. Pin them together and sew. repeat for other panels.
- Now that the maxi dress is ready, try it on and adjust the length if needed.
If you don’t like the colors, consider dying your new dress. prepare the dye according to the instructions. In case of silk, you need vinegar in the process. When choosing the dye consider how the colors will mix. I went for teal in the hope that the gray would turn to some hunter green, the green be more bluish and the white turn into teal. See first photo in this post for the final result.
Further Upcycling Projects You May Like
The following list encompasses all upcycling projects published here on High Latitude Style.
- Sewing a skirt from four old shirts (how I did it)
- Turning an old unwanted old shirt into a beautiful skirt
- How to turn an old shirt into a great scarf
- How to ucpcycle a sari into a full skirt
Don’t forget to hit subscribe to receive the bi-weekly free High Latitude Style newsletter with a summary of all new posts and more about Fashion, Life and Science at the Last Frontier.
Photos of me: G. Kramm
© 2013-2021 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved