- What to wear when you are in a hurry
- Go for instant chic with classics to solve your last minute dressing problem
- Example of how a red with gray last minute work outfit
- Sheath dresses with a turtleneck are instant chic
- Further instant outfit ideas
- How adjust your outerwear
What to wear when you are in a hurry
Every professional woman has faced this or a similar situation. You are checking your emails while having breakfast and see that your boss’ secretary had sent you an invitation for an important business meeting with customers after the EOB (end of business). Of course, this meeting doesn’t permit you to go home to change. This means your usual morning routine doesn’t work and the outfit you planed for the day doesn’t work either. You had prepared a Casual Friday look, but the meeting requires a Business Casual work outfit.
No reason to panic when you know the following instant outfit tricks. They will solve your problem whenever you have a last minute call for a wardrobe change or you are just not in the mood to create an outfit.
Go for instant chic with classics to solve your last minute dressing problemGo for instant chic in a classic color combination when dressing in a hurry. #styleadvice Click To Tweet
One of my favorite outfits is denim with a chambray shirt, red blazer and leopard heels like the OOTD shown below.
Here are my secret tips what to do in the above “dressing emergency”,
- Go for fool proof classic color combinations. Just go for an all neutral colors look. Great neutral color combinations are navy with beige, black and white, navy and gray, tan and winter white, or red and gray.
- In winter, a skirt and cashmere sweater with a necklace and classic knee-high boots are always a great work outfit combination for a mature woman. Other great options are a wool skirt with a twinset and a statement necklace.
- In summer, a white button-down shirt with a navy blue, mustard or gray summer wool straight or pencil skirt or a polka dot skirt are eternal classic options for a dinner with clients.
- In summer, a sheath dress with a cardigan, pumps and a pendant necklace provides instant posh chic and looks professional. See an example of a chic summer meeting with the clients outfit at the link.
- In winter, a wool sheath dress with a cashmere turtleneck sweater underneath, a pearl necklace and knee-high boots provides an instant posh chic work look that also suits you well when going out for dinner with clients (see example discussed below).
- Be aware that at the restaurant, your bag becomes part of your outfit. Thus, make sure its style goes seamlessly with your outfit also once you take your coat off.
- In case that the weather requires outerwear, your outerwear is an outfit too in which your clients will see you. Thus, style your outerwear as well. A trench coat with a silk scarf is a no-brainer in spring and fall. In nasty cold winter climate a wool coat in a classic color with a scarf and matching hat or beret gives you an instant great look when wearing boots.
A turtleneck sweater with skirt/pants and pearls is also great instant style. See the example winter office looks in the photo below.
Example of how a red with gray last minute work outfit
Let me discuss the above points by means of an example of a cashmere sweater with wool skirt outfit in two colors, namely, red and gray. It’s an all gray outfit for indoors with just a pop of red for interest. The red cashmere turtleneck sweater is the focus of this look. You can also style this red turtleneck with pants on an extremely cold day.
Sheath dresses with a turtleneck are instant chic
A sheath with a turtleneck top underneath is instant style in winter when you have to rescue last minute dressing problems. See the post at the link for more an ultimate guide.
What I love about sheath dresses is that they give instant polish and are so work appropriate. Moreover, they are so versatile. One can wear them without or with a shirt or sweater underneath, with a little cardigan, a classic denim jacket), a blazer, or as a skirt, with a quilted leather jacket, a motorcycle jacket with pearls, or with a sweater over the dress as skirt. A green turtleneck with plaid sheath is also a great option.
Further instant outfit ideas
Below are some outfits that show the application of the above tips for your inspiration and illustration of the concept.
Tahari glen check blazer, Nine zebra print pumps, unbranded briefcase, DIY necklace, statement belt, pantyhose (all own), and LBD c/o Covered Perfectly
G-III skirt, GNW cashmere sweater, Vittoria blazer, Aldo, leopard print pumps, Seiko watch, Hermes collier de chien bangle, Esprit bag (all own), necklace c/o Almo Jewellery
Vittoria red wool blazer, Oliveo chambray button-down shirt, London Jean boyfriend jeans, Aldo leopard print heels, Hermes collier de chien bangle, Festina watch, Kieselstein Cord belt and H buckle (all own)
Oliveo linen blazer, button-down shirt and Italian denim bootcut pants, Kieselstein Cord belt and buckle, Prada bag, pendant necklace (all own), wooden sport watch, c/o Jord, and pearl studs c/o Wendy Mignot
Burberry trench coat, Ellen Tracy sheath, Kieselstein Cord belt with 3 horses buckle, Anne Klein pointy toe pumps (all own), multi-color pearl necklace c/o The Pearl Clasp and designer purse c/o Bellorita
Clavin Klein sheath dress, Moda International cardigan, Esprit ba (all own),and necklace c/o Almo Jewellery
London Jean boyfriends, True or Dare Madonna floral print patent leather pumps, Coach striped fabric bag and Vittoria linnen blazer (all own)
Black skirt, L.K. Bennett pumps, light blue linen blazer, structured bag, Ann Klein scarf, GNW polka dot top, and pearl necklace (all own)
Ann Taylor blazer, GNW sweater, Burberry skirt, opera length pearl necklace, Ivanka Trump pumps, pantyhose and unbranded bag (all own)
Tahari blazer, Oliveo white button-down shirt, statement belt, London Jean boyfriend jeans, Esprit neckerchief, Hermes collier de chien, structured work tote, and Ivanka Trump cap-toe pumps (all own)
GNW cardigan, GNW top, Halogen tweed skirt, pearl necklaces, Sanchez riding boots (all own), wooden sport watch c/o Jord, and Akoya pearl necklace c/o The Pearl Source
Moda International cashmere sweater, August Silk shortsleeve cardigan, Anne Klein slingbacks, Hermes collier de chien leather cuff and bangle, artisan necklace, Jaeger tote (all own) plus skirt c/o eShakti
Like these instant work outfit ideas? If so, please feel free to pin them to your Pinterest board.
How adjust your outerwear
When you have to go for lunch or dinner with your clients, customers or boss, your outerwear becomes a work outfit too. Thus, always style your outerwear and make sure it looks professional/meets the work dress code. Just in case.Outerwear is an outfit too. Style it. #styleadvice Click To Tweet
In the outerwear example with the A-line faux fur coat with hat, the red color in the floral scarf, of the gloves, and bag ties the look together. You see that the bag is large enough to carry some work material and it matches with the red sweater when the coat is taken off. The bag’s size also conveys the message “I’m willing to take work home.” In other words, “Dress to impress.” When you want to learn more about How to Dress for Success in Midlife you may want to buy my book.
Stylist’s tip: When wearing a short coat over a skirt or dress go for about two inch in difference with the hems so that 2 inch (5 cm) of skirt show. If the length of the hem is not enough, “shorten” the length of the coat by belting it to the right difference for the best look like shown here.
Jacket with matching hat over white leather pants with Modalo Pippa bag, leather gloves (similar leather gloves here), Hunter rubber boots, leather gloves (all own)
Long shearling coat with hood worn with a brimmed hat, floral scarf, Kieselstein Cord belt with ethnic belt buckle, Celine bag, Sanchez riding boots and gloves (all own)
Like these outfit ideas? If so, please feel free to pin them to your own Pinterest board.
Stylist’s tip: A great option to stand out of the crowd of black, gray and brown winter outerwear is to go for pops of color with your accessories like the scarf, gloves or head cover or even the bag.
I always look in the winter sales for gloves in colors beyond brown and black. I was lucky to find the red leather gloves (see outfit photo), but unfortunately I did not find pink, light gray, orange, or sunflower yellow leather gloves. I am still looking. 😉Have always a plan what to wear when you have to dress for work in a hurry. #dress4success Click To Tweet
Do you have a style recipe handy that you use when in a hurry? What is your go-to outfit then? Do you adjust your outerwear to the weather and outfit or only one of the two? Which is it? Have you had a last minute meeting notice and had to dress for it at the last minute? Do you have a rescue plan, i.e. something at the office that you can wear when the secretary called too late? What are your work dressing challenges? Let me know, so I can help you.
Are you registered for my Newsletter to let you know about new posts, how tos and special style subjects? I’d highly appreciate it if you take the time to sign up and ask your friends to sign up too!!
Photos of me: G. Kramm
© 2013-2021 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved