You can wear denim in midlife and beyond
You love your denim as much as the next gal, so wear it. You want to look polished, not floppy, or frumpy, but also not like trying too hard or even worse, trying not at all. Going beyond the basics in wearing denim over 40 sounds like to balance on the sharp side of a carving knife. Denim is associated with casual and weekend and can go easy frumpy or looking like wearing a uniform.
Advanced styling tips for denim over 40
In an earlier post of this Ageless Style series, I gave tips what to look for when seeking for an ageless outfit in denim. Today’s post expands on those tips by providing tips how to style denim like a pro.
Here are stylists’ secrets:
- Recall to stay away from the extremes like a superwide bell-shape or super-distressed. Both look sort of ridiculous at any age. A straight cut is a classic, but pairing shoes with it is much more difficult than for skinnies, or a slight bootcut.
- Pairing jeans with a button-down shirt, scarf or pearls, pumps and a blazer is a fool-proof business casual look to try. Paired with a white shirt is an American classic.
- A turtleneck sweater with jeans and blazer also falls in this category.
- Many stylists advise against wearing a denim skirt over 40 due to the stiffness of the fabric. However, when the cut is to the advantage of providing shape to a straight-up-and-down body and the skirt is above the knee it can work to your favor.
- If you wear a denim skirt, stay out of dressing like a cowgirl, i.e. don’t add a plaid shirt plus fringe leather jacket and cowboy boots and a hat unless you go to a western bar or festival. You would look otherwise like Rosie in Disguise.
- Style the denim skirt like you would style a corduroy skirt with a striped T or polo shirt or like a black pencil skirt with a white button-down shirt and black or nude pumps.
- Denim jackets are a nice way to style a dress down.
- Try a denim jacket as an alternative to a cardigan.
- Belt your denim jacket and/or wear it under a vest.
- Pair a denim jacket with a romantic dress or skirt, a lace dress or sequin skirt for an unexpected going out look.
- Denim-on-denim looks best with two different washes, but same texture. Think one of the pieces just has been washed over and over again while the other hasn’t.
- If you aren’t tall like Karlie Kloss don’t go for her Texas tuxedo, i.e. denim everything.
- Soft fabric denim shirts look great with dark wash jeans, corduroy or leather pants and even a black pencil or a classic tweed skirt. Go for a tailored cut to look polished.
- Try a denim piece with a white (or colored) denim piece.
Inspirations how to wear a denim skirt
Inspirations how to style a denim jacket
Styling down an Elli Tahari abstract floral print sheath dress with a Fossil white denim jacket for Casual Friday. The red Gloria Vanderbilt pumps, Chanel belt, Ray Ban sunglasses and fuchsia 3.1 Philip Lim tote tie the look together (all own)
Styling a Ruby Belle plaid sheath dress down for Casual Friday with a Levis denim jacket worn as a top under a VS leather vest, GNW tight, dagwood flower and beads statement necklace, Festina watch, and Harley Davidson motorcycle booties (all own)
Inspirations how to wear jeans
Inspiration how to style a denim shirt over 40
How do you style your denim? Do you wear denim-on-denim? What’s your favorite outfit with this fabric? I am curious. Link up your look at the weekly Top of the World Style fashion linkup party.
When you liked this post share it with your friends by tweeting them: Great tips to look awesome in denim over 40.
When you are interested in reviews of the newest trends, and fashion and how to turn them into personal style, to look to your best in midlife, subscribe to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it, you can do it too.
Photos: G. Kramm
Disclosure: This post has affiliate links.
© 2013-2018 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved