- What to do on a weekend when you are bored
- Things you can do all by yourself
- When you love fashion
- When you love DIY
- When you love traveling
- Things you can do online with your friends
- New outfit of the day
What to do on a weekend when you are bored
It happens again and again that for whatever reason you are locked at home. It may be temperatures below minus 40 degrees, a blizzard going thru town, the monsoon, a broken car, prohibition of driving due to an oil crisis like in the 70s or for reduction of emissions due to extremely high ozone or PM2.5 (particular matter of 2.5 µm or less in diameter) concentrations, the bird flue, colera, or COVID-19. You are locked at home or locked in shelter. Since the same is true for your friends and family members not living in the same home, they can’t or you can’t entertain yourself in one place. This post provides 101 ideas how to kill time while having fun.
Things you can do all by yourself
When you love fashion
- Clean out your closet and re-organizes it into a wardrobe that suits your lifestyle. Get rid of everthing that you don’t like or that doesn’t fit anymore or is old-fashioned. This wardrobe makeover for fit, trends and style gives you not only a better working wardrobe, but also the feeling of having achieved something. Dressing for work and the weekend becomes more fun, especially for the latter. You won’t be insented to wear old fashioned, non-fitting clothes at home, just because they are still intact and nobody sees them.
- Do some online window shopping and create your dream wardrobe in the cart. Just don’t hit checkout in the end. Your credit card and budget probably won’t handle it well. A safer way is to create a create a section in your name on my Dream Wardrobes pinterest board and pin the pieces there. To get an invite signup here and click Member of Dream Wardrobe Pinterest board.
- Color my outfits with my Fashion Color Pages e-book.
- Take a quiz to determine your body shape type.
- Determine your primary personal style with this free online style finder quiz.
- Read How to Dress for Success in Midlife. Buy the book now.
- Read about Fashion History. For instance, about the history of the graphic tees. You can find more posts on Fashion History and Design when clicking on category sidebar pulldown menue for this subject.
When you love DIY
- Revive an old shirt to a skirt. See the post at the link for an instruction.
- Do you still have that old sari that you bought on your trip years ago in India, but never wear? Why not up-cycling the sari into a skirt?
- You still have that silk shirt that is too tight to wear? Turn that old shirt into a great scarff.
- When you have clothes dye at home, you could finally dye the pieces you wanted to dye ages ago, or like we Alaskans say “fishes ago.” Dying clothes really give them a fresh look. See the before and after photos of my floral blazer in my post on how to dye old wardrobe favorites.
- If you have some old footwear that just has a damaged heel, try to upcycle the heels for a trendy look. See the link for a tutorial.
- Do you still have piece of clothing with the ink stain? Try to remove the ball-pen ink from fabric using the tips at the link.
When you love traveling
There are several travel stories on the blog.
- Take a virtual ride to a peaceful place at the Arctic Ocean.
- Read about the retirement dream trip of a teenager to drive the Pan-American Highway from Prudhoe Bay to Buenos Aires with a cat in a Jeep.
- What about the pipeline haulway? The Dalton Highway is a mostly unpaved road from Fairbanks for deadhorse.
Things you can do online with your friends
- When you love triva, play it via google hangout or skype. Before you can for that cyber triva learn some fun facts that you can use. What about some Alaska extremes? In the largest state big is hip.
- When you are in a book discussion group, have your discussions on google hangout.
- Don’t like eating alone? Organize an online dinner party where you and your friends eat at home and you see each other and discuss via skype.
- When you like knitting or crocheting with your friends, why not doing it from home while everyone is on skype?
- Missing your board game playing Sunday? Even board games work online. Have one person be the “board master” who does the moves on the board, throws the dice, sets the moves according to the players’ instructions. Somehow like it would be in a Casino. Make that person’s screen the one that everyone looks at. Once a game is over, rotate that role among the players.
- Exercise in an online class.
New outfit of the day
I really miss dancing with my hubby. Since all rooms have carpet, it’s not pssible at home. Thus, I got my excercise by shoveling snow.
Don’t dwell about what you can’t do. Have fun with what you can do and enjoy it. Live is too short to not have fun and to valuable to endanger it. The alternatives are getting sick or even die. These “alternatives” are no option. Stay safe, stay at home, and take care of yourself and don’t let your mood take you down.Be a hero, stay at home. #staysafe #stayathome Click To Tweet
When you want to help me with keeping this blog up and running, please share the posts on facebook or twitter.
Don’t let the right outfit be a random thing. Wear the right look in every situation by looking up what to wear when in How to Dress for Success in Midlife. Buy the book now.
Don’t forget to hit subscribe to receive the bi-weekly free High Latitude Style newsletter with a summary of all new posts and more about Fashion, Life and Science at the Last Frontier.
Photos of me: G. Kramm
© 2013-2020 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved