Sparkle is a girl’s thing
We all associate sparkles with joy. It may be because of the sparkling holidays lights we admired as kids when mom and dad went shopping with us during Christmas time. It may be that big fat wedding, we saw from far with sequin gowns. It may be the figure skaters’ sequin and crystal embroidered dresses we saw on TV when watching the at the Olympic Games as kids or just the photos of European princesses and Hollywood celebrities in granny’s magazines. Oh, yes, don’t forget Sunday’s Best dress, a brown fit-and-flare velvet dress with fake pearls embroidered over the chest.
Sparkle draws attention – look at me
Even though I am a logical person, I love the magic of sparkle, no matter whether it is shine, sequins or metallic threads like in brocade fabric. Everything that sparkles has a high reflection. Sparkle screams “look here”. It really sets the focus point. Sparkle is too fascinating than to be worn just for holidays, at the opera or theater, for going out.
Black leather pants, Oliveo plaid button down shirt, Michael Kors black sequin cardigan
Oliveo plaid shirt, VS sequin skirt, GNW tight, Moschino belt make an eclectic streetstyle look (all own)
5 tips to wear sparkle at day
Here are my 5 tips how to wear sparkle during the day without looking over-the-top or like trying too hard.
- Keep the sparkle, glitter, or shine to just tow items per outfit. Thus, avoid over-bling. Go for items that have sequins or shine just as an accent, e.g., a T-shirt with sequin stripes, a skirt with sequins in a floral print, a jacket with sequin trim, a brocade skirt or jacket. At maximum, do only add one more shine/sparkle to this item. For instance, a sparkle necklace or metallic pumps with a sequin skirt.
- Keep your sparkle grounded. Sparkle and sequins are a girl’s thing. Thus, to stay looking grown up add menswear pieces. For instance, a pencil sequin skirt with a white button-down shirt fully-buttoned up or a cable-knit sweater, a sequin blazer/jacket with chinos and a T-shirt, silver pants with a V-neck or college style sweater, a tweed skirt with a silver thread sweater, a brocade skirt with a (leather) bomber or motorcycle jacket.
- Keep your outfit color-coordinated. Sparkle, shine, and/or glitter are a statement already. Thus, pairing with neutrals is a safe bet as is staying in the same color family of the sparkly piece. A monochromatic look with sparkle looks elegant, sophisticated and work appropriate in neutral colors like navy, brown, gray, black or even teal.
- Small is better than big, overlapping is better than side-by-side.. Look for small sequins or crystals of the size of pin heads. Sequins of the of a quarter or even a dime look cheap. Sequins that are attached in an overlapping way look more expensive and polished than those attached side-by-side.
- Fit and cut is key. Since any sparkle, shine or glitter grabs attention, fit is key. Go for tailored sequin, or brocade items. Also stay away from anything sparkle/shine/glittery and tight at the same time. It is a recipe to visually add 10 pounds.
Do you like to wear sparkle during the day? How do you style a work outfit with sparkle? Let me know by email, I am curious.
When you like these tips I would highly appreciate your sharing them with your friends by tweeting them I found 5 awesome tips how to wear sparkle during the day. You may also like to read how to have ageless style wearing metallic.
Get a subscription to High Latitude Style.
Photos: G. Kramm (2016)
Copyright 2013-2016 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved