Hat trends of the past
Hats used to have a place all year round long time ago. My late mom once told me that my grandma had her hats altered every season to be on the latest trend. The hats usually had a neutral color and the embellishments like feather, blossoms, etc. were exchanged to match the latest trends in color and hat trim.
When I was a kid, my grandpas wore straw fedoras in summer and felt fedoras in winter. In summer, they paired their hats with a light blazer, in winter with a straight wool or loden coat. My parents wore hats only in the cold season and only when it was cold. My mom hat a beautiful gray hat with feathers that I adored. My late dad had a small hat collection including a leather driver’s cap, leather and wool Prinz Heinrich Mützen, a felt fedora, a Bavarian hat, a leather Australian hat, and various pom pom hats.
Hats when I was a kid
Back then I already loved hats and had a small hat collection. It included a Tirolean red hat with feathers, a red pom-pom hat, a pom-pom hat with a long tail that one could wrap around the neck, a straw hat, and a wide brim yellow hat. I have loved hats so much that I also wore a hat to my wedding (photo above).
Hat trends today
It has been a while that hats were in fashion, but hats are a hot trend right now. Here are some tips how to wear a hat that is not the usual everyday baseball hat, sunhat on vacation or the cowboy hat when visiting a western bar.
Styling with hats
Winter Russian hat LeatherCoatsEtc. classic red pea-coat styled with a pom-pom hat for a casual outerwear look in winter
Which hat to wear with what clothes
- Wide brim hats like in the wedding photo look great with Euro Chic looks like fitted sleek dresses, or skirt suits.
- Floppy wide brim hats work well with modern Bohemian outfits.
- Visor hats look great with casual outfits and look more posh than a baseball cap.
- Russian style hats need faux fur coats, heavy wool coats in military style, and shearling coats. Adding a large Russian scarf or a plaid scarf can provide an extra layer of insulation. Belting the scarf adds shape, looks posh, and ups the style factor.
- Straw hats are for summer. Wide brim, not floppy straw hats look great with sleek maxi dresses that lack a Bohemian vibe. Adding a matching scarf as a hat band makes the hat more versatile.
- A floppy straw hat is perfect with Bohemian maxi dresses.
- A narrow brim straw hat is a great addition to an urban safari style look. Be careful when adding animal print to this look as you can easily end up in costumy territory. It is a slim balance between looking effortlessly stylish and like trying to hard.
- Western hats look great with an American West Ralph Lauren like style. Stay away from adding cowboy boots plus plaid shirt and Indian jewelry on all burners to avoid looking costumy.
- Felt fedoras look great with classic trend coats, winter wool coats, and motorcycle jackets.
- Style straw fedoras with straight jeans and a white short-sleeve shirt in summer. White denim pants or chinos with a dark short-sleeve shirt are great options too.
- Pom-pom hats have a casual vibe. They are great with casual or sporty outdoor winter clothes like down-jackets, down-coats, and short shearling jackets. In the urban jungle, they also look trendy with heavy camel coats or wool coats as well as pea-coats. Neutral colors like black, gray and white look mature. Go for a pop of color when you are a gray fox. In all cases, skip on anything neon.
- A Greek fisherman’s hat or Prinz Heinrichmütze as it is called in Germany is tricky. In middle Europe, this type of hat is worn in navy blue mostly by men in fall with a straight jacket in coastal regions. In the US, it is a style statement worn out of its original content. In the sense of Isaac Mirzahi, one tries out various pieces and looks what looks the rightest wrong.
- Trapper hats look great with shearling coats, down coats or heavy wool militray style coats.
Further inspirations with hats
Blue and white outfit with LeatherCoatsEtc. Greek Fisherman hat for the weekend
OOTD with hat
When you found these tips how to wear hats inspiring please tell your friends. Thanks ❤
Will you jump the bandwagon on the hat trend? If so what kind of hats do you want to try out? How will you style them? Have you already a hat? Do you like the hat trend? Let me know your style challenges with hat by sending me an email so I can help you with tips and tricks.
Get the inspiration, support, motivation, and tips to look to your best in life. Get a subscription to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it you can do it too.
Photos: G. Kramm
Copyright 2013-2017 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved