Tweed dreams and nightmares
Fashion has its great tweed moments. Which girl has never dreamed of a Chanel tweed jacket? How awesome did Jackie O. look in her tweed skirt? Tweed is a classic stylish material.
Tweed the old way
On the other hand, tweed is also associated with often boring conservative winter clothes, i.e. suits, skirt suits with a hem below the knee. Tweed was also what our mothers wore for Sunday’s Best when they were our age. Some of us may have worn a tweed (skirt) suit with pumps to our first job interview with a black cashmere sweater or a white button down shirt in the 80s.
Tweed for thermal comfort
Tweed is a great fabric. It has great insulation properties and can make the stretch from elegant to casual without problems. This means a tweed skirt, jacket or blazer are a good investment. Here are my tips to land a winning tweed outfit.
- Try to style a straight, just above the knees tweed skirt casual with a sport vibe by adding a belted cable knit sweater and statement sneakers.
- Wear a tweed jacket with a white button-down shirt or turtleneck sweater and jeans or leather pants and pumps for the office (if your dress code allows denim and leather).
- For date night try a distressed denim just above the knee skirt with sequin top and a tweed blazer, a clutch and black patent leather pumps.
- If you can pull off high waisted pants, try a pair in tweed and pair them with a turtleneck sweater and pumps. Think a modern interpretation of Marlene Dietrich’s signature style from the 40s.
- For the daring, try pairing a tweed skirt with a floral top. So unexpected.
- Get your tweed piece in an unexpected cut, for instance, cut as a motorcycle or bomber jacket. Style it like you would style a piece in that cut.
- A tweed coat in a classic cut works with nearly everything. Add a pop of color with your accessories. Think of your outerwear like you think of your OOTD. Your outerwear is your urban/outdoor OOTD.
- Wear a straight tweed skirt with riding boots, opaque tights, a crew-neck sweater, a bomber jacket and chandeliers for casual Friday.
Tweet: 10 tips to look great in tweed over 40 #fashion #style http://ctt.ec/g3sJ0+
Here some inspirations how to style tweed over 40.
Example how to wear a tweed skirt with a blazer as an unmatched suit for the office. The floral weave of the tweed skirt looks unexpected and modern Example of tweed skirt with plaid blazer, silk scarf and satchel as unmatched suit where the blazer serves as outerwear
Example of tweed skirt worn with a button down shirt, statement necklace, suede cropped blazer and over-the-knee boots for an office appropriate winter look Example of tweed skirt with tights, fall booties, and cashmere sweater for a casual fall look
Example tweed motorcycle jacket with leather pants, pumps, tote, statement belt (all own), and layering top c/o Adea
How not to wear tweed over 40
- Matching skirt and/or pants plus blazer as this combination was the go-to in the 80s for the twenty somethings. Thus, this look lets us over 40 look old-fashioned/trapped in time.
- Wearing it like your mother did. It would send the message that you never developed your own style and/or ideas. Copy-cat alert in the worst sense!
- Wearing a straight tweed skirt with lace flat shoes and a matching embellished twinset or a boxy long (shapeless) jacket.
What tweed items are in your closet? How do you wear your tweed? Let me know, I am curious. Send an email or link it up tomorrow at the Top of the World Style fashion linkup party in addition to your OOTD. Note you don’t need to have a blog to participate. You can also linkup facebook, instagram, pinterest or google+ posts.
When you like to read about how to turn fashion into style get a subscription to High Latitude Style to get an email when a new post goes up.
Photos: G. Kramm (2015)
Copyright 2013-2017 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved