Signature clothes of the decades
The 50s are known for the wide skirts, the 60s for the Mod, the 70s for the Bohemian style, flared legs, tie-dye T-shirts, the 80s for the wide shoulders and long jackets, the 90s for black everything and jeans with crotches hanging at the knees and exposing the Y, the 00s for the empire-style tops that looked like one were pregnant. Do I have to say that I did not like them? The 10s probably will be known for the leopard print everything.
How to look sophisticated in animal prints without looking like one wants to feature the animal for Halloween is a challenge at any age. But the older one gets, the more urgent it is to get it right. Here I want to share what I found that works and what does not.
Animal print looks that work in fashion over 40
- Animal prints should be in the colors (or close to the colors) of the animal’s fur or skin so you can treat the animal print as a neutral.
- Only one animal print and item per outfit unless your style is Eclectic Posh.
- Animal print requires tailored clean, sleek and simple cuts like a shirt dress, a pencil skirt, cardigan. Style them like you style your neutrals (see OOTD).
- Animal print scarves, pumps, clutches, totes, satchels are great bets.
- Wearing animal print with pieces that harmonize with the print rather than competing with it is a safe bet.
- Leopard print with red is a classic.
- Try leopard print with a larger than the spots floral print that picks up at least three colors of the leopard print. It may or may not work. Read risky.
Inspirations with animal prints in fashion over 40
Below you can find some inspirations for how to style animal print over 40.
GNW leopard print sweater worn as top over eShakti floral print dress with H-belt, Michael Kors plateau sandals, Jaeger tote (all own) and wooden watch c/o Jord shown as an example for mixing animal print with floral
Levis denim jacket with G-III suede skirt, Aldo leopard print pony hair pumps Ray Ban sunglasses, Celine tote (all own) and striped T-shirt c/o Marine Layer. Leopard print pumps are a classic
I.N.C. chocolate brown leather pants with knitwit giraffe print sweater, layering top, statement necklace and Clarks booties (all own)
Chocolate brown I.N.C. leather pants, GNW Luxe cashmere wool sweater accessorized with thrifted leopard print silk scarf, and booties (all own)
Oliveo long leather skirt with GNW Luxe cashmere wool sweater, GNW leopard print tights, Nine West plateau heeled loafers, and Hermes bangles (all own)
Sienna Studio snake print leather pants with GNW Luxe wool cashmere sweater, Moda silk cashmere cardigan, Kieselstein Cord belt and buckle, peridot beads and pearl necklace (all own)
GNW zebra print cardigan worn as top with white Newports News leather pants, Jake’s hounds-tooth blazer, Ivanka Trump pumps, Moschino belt, and 3.1 Philip Lim tote (all own)
GNW leopard print cardigan layered under Ann Taylor cashmere sweater over Sienna Studio leather pencil skirt with Harley Davidson booties (all own)
What doesn’t work for ageless style
- Animal prints from head to toe
- Different animal prints in one outfit
- Animal prints in colors that are far away from the actual animal’s fur or skin colors
- Tight, short, and shiny leopard dresses, skirts or tops
- Baggy clothes with animal print
- Ruffles, embroidery, sequins, lace and animal print all together in one outfit
- Ruffle animal print tops or tired animal print skirts
- Animal print patchwork in bags or leather jackets
If you liked this post tweet your friends How to look sophisticated in animal prints over 40.
How do you style your animal prints? What are your style challenges with respect to animal prints? Let me know how I can help you by sending me an email.
Do you want to read more about Ageless style? Previous issues of Ageless Style covered
When you enjoy reading about turning fashion over 40 into style get a subscription to High Latitude Style and join the group of VIPs who get to know the first when a new post went up.
Wednesday Pants Linkup
This week I’m co-hosting “The Wednesday Pants Link-Up” with Allison of Sydney Fashion Hunter. Allison created her blog to share her experiences of hunting down that perfect fashion item in the beautiful harbor city she calls home. She’s a globe trotting, shoe loving, designer handbag toting Aussie who loves to shop up a storm, preferably with a wine glass in hand. On the blog she mixes high end and high street and in “The Wednesday Pants” series she has set herself a challenge to wear the same white pair of Calvin Klein pants every Wednesday for an entire year, styled differently of course! This week is the very last week of The Wednesday Pants and Allison is in Phuket Thailand with a couple of mini fashionista’s in tow. Head on over to her blog and follow along.
Photos: G. Kramm
Copyright 2013-2017 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved