Ever since mankind developed clothes, those who had less power or wealth admired and desired the clothes of the upper class. Given that in former times, women did not have their own money their clothes depended on what their husbands/father approved to buy and/or bought for them. Once women got into the work force they started wearing men’s clothes for practical reasons, but also to show their new gained independence/power. Menswear was born.
Menswear can become costume fast when styling it like Carrie Bradshaw on Sex and the City. The same applies for the corset under a menswear suit. After a certain age, this Angelina Joli inspired evening outfit looks like trying to hard and/or plain ridiculous. Wearing non-tailored men’s suits with flat oxfords and a tie looks like not trying at all.
To look ageless in menswear at any age stick to the following:
- No menswear all over. Female ascents are a must.
- Go for pants suits with classic lines with jackets that are nipped in at the waist. Better even unmatch the suit.
- When wearing full-leg pants treat them like a long skirt and showcase your waist.
- When you wear boyfriend jeans go for a straight not too tight leg and a relaxed style. Tuck in you top and/or wear it with a blazer for a polished look.
- Look for cargo pants that are cut slim enough that you still can showcase your waist.
- Shirts with French cuffs are a no failure menswear item that looks great with a skirt or jeans.
- Oxfords with heels or brogues in silver, gold or gem colors are great menswear items.
- Tuxedo-inspired jackets are great with jeans.
- A tuxedo suit is great for a black tie event when worn with a camisole, pearls and patent leather pumps.
Here are some further inspirations how to style the menswear look.
How do you style your menswear items? Link them up at Top of the World Style tomorrow. I would love to see how you wear your menswear.
Get a subscription to my blog here to never miss a post.
Photos: G. Kramm (2015)
Copyright 2013-2015 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved