You probably heard that on April 23, HSN launched Travel Channel Host, Samantha Brown’s travel-inspired fashion line. My OOTD features a wrap dress designed by her. When I wore this dress to work a colleague complimented the dress saying “you look smart in this dress.”
Of course, a wrap dress is always a smart investment as it always looks polished – see Kate Middleton. I was so lucky to get this Samantha Brown wrap dress from HSN as a free sample for review, but I think the dress is worth its money because it meets my seven expectations on a travel dress.
- The dress must look modern and be wearable for multiple events. The cut of this Samantha Brown dress meets corporate and business as well as spare time expectations. The elegant, decent print works well in this environment when worn with classic pumps, a statement necklace, and a structured work bag (photo above). The eastern vibe of the print with the classic western cut make the dress looks fresh. The classic eastern ethnic print allows you to swap the work accessories for espadrilles or ballet flats with a shell or colorful wood necklace and a fabric clutch or bag for a stroll on the town in the evening. This East-meets-West combination and the fact that the dress has a stretchy material makes it perfect for business travel.
- The dress must be professional without looking stiff. This wrap dress is sewn like a real dress. Thus, a wind gust has no chance to unwrap your legs (see next photo).
- The dress must be comfortable and make you feel great. Speaking of coverage, the 3/4 sleeves cover the upper arms, which is not only a big advantage in air-conditioned offices and conference rooms. Most of us 40+ ladies love some arm coverage. The sleeves can be easily shopped up for a more casual look for sightseeing.
- Classic colors. The white print on the navy blue jersey fabric is right on the spring trend of blue-and-white. At the same time, neutrals are always a classic, worth to invest in. This dress also comes in fuchsia.
- Wrinkle-free. The Samantha Brown dress arrived folded and was winkle-free when I pulled it out of the box.
- Great craftmanship. The dress shows love for details and is sewn well (see next photo).
- Worth the money. Looking at the price-performance ratio this dress is a steal. It fits two purposes in one – work and play. This means it has potential for more wear than a work dress and a weekend. This also means you save space in your luggage and real estate in your closet. Furthermore, the classic print and cut in neutral colors will never go out of style. This means the dress is wearable for many seasons. Thus, the cost-per-wear has great chances to get below 50 cent. A great deal!
Samantha Brown’s line at HSN also encompasses travel bags, scarves, which can do double-duty as accessory and blanket on a plane, classic striped tops, among other things.
Get a subscription to my blog here.
Disclosure: The Samantha Brown wrap dress is a sample from HSN. The post is not endorsed by HSN and/or Samantha Brown. It represents my own 100% honest opinion.
Photos: G. Kramm (2015)
Copyright 2013-2015 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved