Over-the-knee boots work at any age
Over-the-knee boots are age appropriate for every women in cold weather in winter. Over-the-knee boots are very helpful to stay warm in windy and cold weather in winter. They are also advantageous when you had no opportunity to plug in your car or park it in a heated garage. Over-the-knee boots provide long enough insulation in the car until the car heating kicks in. Thus, there are many mature reasons for a mature woman to wear over-the-knee boots. Why do many mature women consider them as a no no for themselves?
Not at least since the movie Pretty Women and Independence Day many women (and men) associate over-the-knee boots with red light district, or exotic dancers, respectively. They consider these boots ok for a girls’ night out of our twenty something sis, if at all. That style is not age appropriate for who knows whom including our twenty something sis! It is a uniform for those professions, and only appropriate for them. Patent leather stiletto over-the-knee boots are otherwise costume.
Over-the-knee boots – wearing them right
Here are my nine tips how to wear-over-the-knee boots in an appropriate way at any age:
- Buy them in the highest quality you can afford in a classic color that matches well with most of the items in your closet that you wear when it gets really cold outside
- Go for suede or plain leather, i.e. stay away from patent leather
- Go for a wide toe box so you can wear a pair of extra socks inside (pointy toes will freeze your toes!)
- Make sure they have a sturdy, not too high heel and a thick sole that clearly is not a plateau
- The embellishments should match your personal style.
- Only wear them at below freezing temperatures, best at temperatures in the single or negative digits (less than -12C)
- Wear them with casual or classic clothes, i.e. steer clear away from anything glam, lacy or too sexy
- When you pair them with a skirt that does not cover them fully, wear opaque tights (Bare legs with over-the-knee boots are a no no for everyone except for women in the aforementioned professions)
- Only wear them outside and switch to pumps or other work appropriate shoes when you arrive at work. You don’t want to sweat in the boots. The sweat would freeze or evaporate once you get outside and would result in what you wanted to avoid in the first place: cold knees.
Example and details on how to style over-the-knee boots
The photos in this post show my OOTD with my over-the-knee boots and zoom-ins on details of the styling. When styling over-the-knee boots, the goal is to create a mature, powerful and serious look. The look must scream
I am an outfit to stay warm in style in cold weather!
Do you wear over-the-knee boots? How do you style them? Let me know, send me an email. I am curious.
Stay warm in style! 😉
Get the inspiration, support, motivation, and tips to look to your best in life. Subscribe to High Latitude Style. Deep inside you know when I can do it you can do it too.
Photos: G. Kramm
Copyright 2013-2017 Nicole Mölders | All rights reserved